Broadcom Staff Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Broadcom Staff Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matawan, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Broadcom (Matawan, NJ) in June 2012.

Interview

Questions on resume, projects done and basics of C and C++

Interview Questions

• Question on allocating memory pointers inside a function. A pointer variable is passed as a parameter to a function. Memory allocation is done inside the function for the pointer using malloc. After coming out of the function, will the pointer still retain this address in the main program?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Broadcom

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Broadcom (San Diego, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

The interviews were over 2 days, 8 hours at both Irvine (day1) and San Diego (day2). I interviewed for multiple compatible positions and at the end of the day was asked to select one, so I knew it was positive. The process itself was a little disorganized. The interview content ranged from highly detailed and technical discussions of past projects, to casual scenario approaches to "getting to know you" types. Since the experience of the various engineers was wide (RF, HW, systems, FW and also SW), I was asked different types of questions. It it understood you might not know everything in those domains in complete detail but they test both your width as well as depth of knowledge - not to mention how to deal when you don't know the answers (which is bound to happen at some point).

Interview Questions

• - Questions on some basic on embedded microprocessors
      - Questions on basic ARM assembly
      - Asked to write an ARM assembly program (on whiteboard) which compared two sections of memory and returned if they were identical or not
      1 Answer

Negotiation

They were unwilling to negotiate the vacation.

When negotiating, you'll be better off if you can quantitatively why you are demanding the figure you are demanding (eg "my options to be vested are worth xyz and I'd like that compensated"). Remember, Broadcom aims to pay top quartile (top 25% of industry), so an industry "average" (=50% mark) doesn't matter.

Staff Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview

First shortlisted with a telephonic interview. This was followed by a whole day of interview with various teams interviewing me. Began with a description of the role and the work the team does, questions on my projects and previous work experience, technical rounds on communication systems, C and some probability.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Broadcom (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Initial meet and greet, followed by an hours telephone interview (technical), followed several weeks later by a full day one on one technical interview face to face.