Brookhaven LAB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 9, 2017

2.6

Accelerator Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It took several weeks from the first phone call to the on-site interview. The interview lasted from 9 AM to about 1:30. There were multiple interviews, including a presentation to a panel. The people were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• They asked several technical questions, mainly about electricity and magnetism.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB in August 2016.

Interview

Received a call from hiring manager. Asked about qualifications, desired salary. Ended expecting a call to be called in for in person interview. That was late August. Three weeks later HR person called. Said I was called by mistake. Job had already been filled in June.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us. This along with technical questions to verify my qualifications.   1 Answer

Physics Associate II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB in June 2016.

Interview

I have applied online and the whole process took a few month. Phone interview was scheduled fast.
    I spoke to two people - one was a mechanical engineer and another one was a physicist. There were few questions regarding my background. Most of the interview was dedicated to explanation of my tasks and I was also asked to answer few physics related questions. Interviewers were very polite and helpful.

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB in November 2015.

Interview

Filled in application online and then had a phone interview and then an interview with a recruiter and then with a hiring manager. Took a long time to get back to me with final decision.

Clerical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY).

Interview

I sat one on one in HR to interview with the recruiter. I was then directed to the office/building of the position I was applying for. I interviewed with the manager and administrator that was hiring for the position. They expressed the position clearly, then they reviewed my resume, pointed out where they saw a good fit, asked me some follow up questions, clarified some resume bullets, inquired when I would be available if offered the position, showed me around the office/medical area, asked if I had any questions, shook my hand and stated that it was very nice to meet me. Even if I hadn't gotten the position they made me feel confident in my skills. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Why am I leaving my current job?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookhaven, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Brookhaven, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

First they did a phone interview. It was very short and unorganized on their side. Later when called back for the on site interview, a group of 4 people interviewed me and did not even know the phone interview took place. The on site interviewers asked a lot about the history of the lab. None of the questions seemed to pertain to the internship that was applied for. Very few technical questions were asked. Previous work experience was questioned about heavily.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was typical. I was contacted about a month after I applied and first had a phone interview from someone in HR. I was then asked to schedule an on-site interview about a week later (if I'm remembering correctly). Brookhaven Lab is a huge place, but it was relatively easy to find where I needed to go. I interviewed in-person about 2 months after the phone interview (we kept having to reschedule due to the snow). I was interviewed by 3 employees. Interviewers were nice, asked typical questions, lasted about 30 minutes. I was contacted about a month later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the business structure of a National Laboratory?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then got an request for phone interview after a month. Then after another 3 weeks, I was invited to a one-day on-site visit. I was asked to deliver a 1-hour presentation on my PhD thesis. Then there were several 30 minutes meetings with all the PIs on the proposal. One thing you should be aware of is that Brookhaven National Lab is located in very rural area. In the evening before your onsite interview, the only place to get some food is an automatic vending machine at the Guest Center. If you arrive on weekends, it might run out of stock. The research group will probably treat you to dinner for your on-site visit. However, if that's not in the plan, It might be a good idea to grab some to-go food from the airport.

I was the first candidate to be invited there and there were two other candidates whom they would like to see but hadn't worked out the schedule yet. So it took a bit long after my on-site visit before I got the offer. From the first phone interview, it took about 2 months.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB.

Interview

Submitted application online, asked about GPA and some basic question; two short essays about why would you like to work in the lab and what project did you interested in. Got reply back after a month, and had a 20 min phone interview. got an offer three days after the phone interview

Interview Questions

• nothing difficult, the only question i can remember is "what's your favorite class and lease favorite class"   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Gold Haber Fellow Interview

Interview

Find a mentor, submit a research proposal, get invterviewed, get hired

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation options