Brookhaven LAB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Brookhaven LAB

2.6

Scientific Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookhaven, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Brookhaven, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. Short interview with HR, then longer more in depth interview with the scientist for the program I applied under. HR interview was easy and standard, asked the expected questions. Interview with scientist was more challenging, mix between personality and technical questions. The scientist described the job differently than the online ad, saying it was a dead-end job and would likely not lead to any advancement professionally or academically.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

Meetings with many individuals. Tour of the facilities. Lunch with a group. Give a 1-hour seminar with very detailed discussion after the talk. The on-campus housing is minimal so don't expect a nice hotel room.

Post Doc Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB.

Interview

Online application followed by a 40min phone interview and then selected for one-day onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Why you choose Brookhaven? Do you have any other pending offers?   Answer Question

The location is a minus.

Windows Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY).

Interview

Casual, with "stock" interview questions. HR interview first, then interview with hiring manager and team members. HR goes over basic work history and resume, explains the organization and tries to sell you on benefits package. After HR interview, you are directed to go to a different building (usually walking distance) for the job interview. At the job interview, you are expected to answer anywhere from 25-60 questions about technology (mostly), and some generic job experience-type questions. Know your greatest achievements and challenges, and be honest about your ability to work with difficult people. You will be asked if you are comfortable being available 24x7x365.

Interview Questions

• Do you have (Windows) scripting experience?   1 Answer
    • What was the most challenging customer situation you had to deal with?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Stony Brook, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Email interview only asked availability and future plans. Then short meeting with the PI of the lab. Didn't meet any lab members. Started training in June, they evaluate you if you are right for the position - at the end of the 3 week training session they assign you a project to work on

Interview Questions

• unusual hours - had to come in for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. During the year had to come in every other weekend aside from the regular hours   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview was a two-tier process. First, a short-list was compiled and a phone interview was conducted. After the phone interview, an in person interview was scheduled. The in person interview lasted one day, and consisted of a series of 45 minute meetings with relevant current staff members, followed by a technical research presentation (1 hr). The hiring committee chair then took me out for lunch where we discussed any concerns or questions that I had. I received an offer letter several weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Given the scope of work expected to be included in this project, are you comfortable learning additional programming languages to suit a given situation, and what issues do you anticipate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then got an request for phone interview after a month. Then after another 3 weeks, I was invited to a one-day on-site visit. I was asked to deliver a 1-hour presentation on my PhD thesis. Then there were several 30 minutes meetings with all the PIs on the proposal. One thing you should be aware of is that Brookhaven National Lab is located in very rural area. In the evening before your onsite interview, the only place to get some food is an automatic vending machine at the Guest Center. If you arrive on weekends, it might run out of stock. The research group will probably treat you to dinner for your on-site visit. However, if that's not in the plan, It might be a good idea to grab some to-go food from the airport.

I was the first candidate to be invited there and there were two other candidates whom they would like to see but hadn't worked out the schedule yet. So it took a bit long after my on-site visit before I got the offer. From the first phone interview, it took about 2 months.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB in March 2014.

Interview

online phone interview over skype, 1 hours talking including 30 mins presentation and 30 mins conversation. presentation is about my PHD work. I changed my phd defense slides a little bit. then all group members (PIs) asked questions according to my PHD work. because of my strong publication, they decide to offer me a position after online talk. no more onsite interview.

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

private interview with each principle investigator in the group, and gave an open talk to the research group and also the department.

Interview Questions

• No. Since it is postdoc job, not for companies, so no tricky questions, and no multi-level interviews.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB.

Interview

I applied online through the website and was e-mailed to set up an interview 2 weeks later. The interview was a 30 minute Skype interview where we discussed a presentation of my previous research. The team lead asked questions about the science behind my research and how I thought it related to the team.