Brookhaven LAB Interview Questions in Upton, NY | Glassdoor

Brookhaven LAB Interview Questions in Upton, NY

2.8

Accelerator Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It took several weeks from the first phone call to the on-site interview. The interview lasted from 9 AM to about 1:30. There were multiple interviews, including a presentation to a panel. The people were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• They asked several technical questions, mainly about electricity and magnetism.   Answer Question

Clerical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY).

Interview

I sat one on one in HR to interview with the recruiter. I was then directed to the office/building of the position I was applying for. I interviewed with the manager and administrator that was hiring for the position. They expressed the position clearly, then they reviewed my resume, pointed out where they saw a good fit, asked me some follow up questions, clarified some resume bullets, inquired when I would be available if offered the position, showed me around the office/medical area, asked if I had any questions, shook my hand and stated that it was very nice to meet me. Even if I hadn't gotten the position they made me feel confident in my skills. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Why am I leaving my current job?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was typical. I was contacted about a month after I applied and first had a phone interview from someone in HR. I was then asked to schedule an on-site interview about a week later (if I'm remembering correctly). Brookhaven Lab is a huge place, but it was relatively easy to find where I needed to go. I interviewed in-person about 2 months after the phone interview (we kept having to reschedule due to the snow). I was interviewed by 3 employees. Interviewers were nice, asked typical questions, lasted about 30 minutes. I was contacted about a month later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the business structure of a National Laboratory?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then got an request for phone interview after a month. Then after another 3 weeks, I was invited to a one-day on-site visit. I was asked to deliver a 1-hour presentation on my PhD thesis. Then there were several 30 minutes meetings with all the PIs on the proposal. One thing you should be aware of is that Brookhaven National Lab is located in very rural area. In the evening before your onsite interview, the only place to get some food is an automatic vending machine at the Guest Center. If you arrive on weekends, it might run out of stock. The research group will probably treat you to dinner for your on-site visit. However, if that's not in the plan, It might be a good idea to grab some to-go food from the airport.

I was the first candidate to be invited there and there were two other candidates whom they would like to see but hadn't worked out the schedule yet. So it took a bit long after my on-site visit before I got the offer. From the first phone interview, it took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's your career goal? (Academia, industry, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview was a two-tier process. First, a short-list was compiled and a phone interview was conducted. After the phone interview, an in person interview was scheduled. The in person interview lasted one day, and consisted of a series of 45 minute meetings with relevant current staff members, followed by a technical research presentation (1 hr). The hiring committee chair then took me out for lunch where we discussed any concerns or questions that I had. I received an offer letter several weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Given the scope of work expected to be included in this project, are you comfortable learning additional programming languages to suit a given situation, and what issues do you anticipate?   Answer Question

SULI Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

It's more of completing an application online. If you include all the things that you have done during undergraduate, all accomplishments, awards, project you have work on, then they evaluate it. The process is very competitive, therefore you have to give everything you can to answer their essay questions. You have to be a citizen in order to participate in SULI program.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

several emails change and onsite

Interview Questions

• mostly behavioral, since technical skills were proved by my publications.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

Meetings with many individuals. Tour of the facilities. Lunch with a group. Give a 1-hour seminar with very detailed discussion after the talk. The on-campus housing is minimal so don't expect a nice hotel room.

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

private interview with each principle investigator in the group, and gave an open talk to the research group and also the department.

Interview Questions

• No. Since it is postdoc job, not for companies, so no tricky questions, and no multi-level interviews.   Answer Question

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Human Resources interview was first. One on one with HR person. He set the expectations and benefits of working there. Then I met with the manager and team. They asked some good technical questions. Not too difficult but definitely would trip you up if you didn't have the experience the job required.

Interview Questions

• How are you with working under pressure?   1 Answer