Brown University Interview Questions in Providence, RI | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 21, 2017

2.8

Summer Resident Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI).

Interview

Simple application that seemed like more qualifications were required than what I later discovered. Interview process was friendly and simple. I didn't receive any trick questions and it felt like my interviewer was doing her best to help me do well. It was a position that was mostly about sociability and responsibility, so there was no need to give an IQ test, and I appreciated that there was very little pressure.

Interview Questions

• What was a major professional/academic struggle you faced and how did you solve the problem?   Answer Question

Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in February 2016.

Interview

Set up a couple of dates and times for the phone interview. Three people were on the call besides myself. After the introductions they said while they believed I was qualified for the position they wanted to make sure I knew what the maximum salary available for their position was. After I was informed of that, and was told that it was a non-negotiable number, I thanked them for their interest and time and the interview was over.

Teaching Assistant for Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2015.

Interview

Took course and interacted with instructor, did very well in this course. Checked with instructor after this course and he agreed to give the TA position. I signed up for the TA and go to the TA hour and grade the homework.

Interview Questions

• What grade did you get for machine learning   1 Answer

Artemis Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2015.

Interview

I had to teach a mock class for my interview. I ended up teaching a short class on how to implement binary search trees. Afterwards we talked about different situations that may occur during the camp and how I would handle them.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student wanted to go home from a location that was not what you listed on the field trip form   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in March 2014.

Interview

It was an interview in the office with one of the directors. It was in person and one-on-one with the director of research. She was very kind and welcoming and asked many questions related to my resume and previous work experience. Additionally my education and relevant classes were also discussed. Many of the questions also related to leadership capabilities, times that I worked independently and research capability, as well as experience speaking with senior executives. Following the initial interview an offer of employment was made promptly.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you demonstrated leadership?   1 Answer

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2014.

Interview

There is no interview so I'm not sure what to say here. You just go to the Ratty (Sharpe Refectory) and fill out an application. Then you're immediately hired and sign up for shifts.

Desk Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process took place as a group interview, which was unusual for me, but fairly straightforward, as they were looking to hire multiple student workers for the position. We wrote down our answers to a series of questions before sharing with the group and with the employee who was hiring.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had difficulties with someone who was older than you. How did you react?   Answer Question

PhD Graduate Student, Biology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in November 2013.

Interview

Met with faculty in the department throughout the day for about 30 minutes each. Also had plenty of time to inreact with graduate students and post-docs in the department. Free lunch and dinner with other grad students in the program. Overall it was quite casual. Most conversation is aimed at getting to know you and your interests/ fit for the program rather than trying to trip you up or test your technical or intellectual skills.

Interview Questions

• What other PhD programs did you apply to? What do you plan on doing after grad school? What type of research projects would you be interested in pursuing?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was given an offer of admission and had to by a certian deadline. Did not negotiate as I believe it is a standard and non-negotiable offer.

Residential Peer Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in May 2013.

Interview

First a one-on-one, then a full night of group tasks and interview process. The process was fairly simple in the first round, where you get asked basic behavioral questions by current staff. The group process presents various scenarios and challenges to solve in a team of your competitors which you are evaluated by current Peer leaders as well as your potential boss . Very selective process!

Graduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in March 2013.

Interview

My department and others set up a matching system to pair students with faculty over the summer months. Everyone who requested a research opportunity was matched with one. It was done through our department's head of the graduate program, who talked to students about their interests and then spoke to potential faculty matches during the spring term to determine who would need graduate assistants and to facilitate good matches. It began with filling out a form and then a conversation with the head of graduate studies, followed by a chat with the potential match before finalizing the arrangement by email with the department office staff in the loop. Very simple and easy.

Interview Questions

• Not much was unexpected or difficult, but we did have to choose how many weeks of the summer we were looking to be employed, and it was a question that depended on an educated guess about how much time we'd need for other summer projects. It was quite flexible in the end, though.   Answer Question