Buck Consultants Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2016

2.6

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Buck Consultants (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process consisted of four separate interviews, all over the course of one day. Some were one on one, the others had two interviewers. Overall the interviews were pretty basic and casual. No challenging questions, all mainly were focused on your resume.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle your time when studying for your actuary test?   Answer Question

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Buck Consultants (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Very professional but clearly overworked HR reps conducted the initial phone interview, which lasted approximately 45 minutes, but I got a good impression of the company from the phone interview. My opinion ultimately changed after about 20 minutes while at the second interview in their NYC office.

The actuarial staff were horribly disorganised; not surprised that the company is having so many management difficulties nor surprised that their rating on Glassdoor isn't particularly good. Interview was scheduled to begin in the morning and slated to end mid-afternoon. A so-called "lunch" was provided, but I use that term very loosely. For a company that claims it has to recruit "only the best and the brightest" it's office environment (stains on the carpet, overflowing cubicles, the smell of trash) and poorly dressed staff (read: jeans and t-shirt) didn't really substantiate that claim.

It became very clear that no one had read my resume, nor had any idea why I was there, and some of the staff were not even aware that there was an interview scheduled that day. One of my interviewers was 45 minutes late, which then pushed back the entire day. Despite being in the midst of a degree program, and having only applied to the internship position, I was repeatedly questioned as to why I was applying for the Associate position when I hadn't completed my degree yet. I Repeatedly had to relay the idea that I was applying for the internship position, and not the analyst position to which I was told "oh, sorry, we didn't know which one because our HR department didn't inform us". So evidently, there's a breakdown somewhere between HR and the department.

Besides typical interview questions and resume-specific questions, I didn't really feel challenged by the interview at all, besides listening to their self-stroking egotistical speech about how amazing the company is, it was a rather easy experience, besides the smell, the waiting, and the constant amazement of how slovenly everyone dressed and appeared.

Here's a hint to all the job seekers out there: the more a company repeats how amazing it is, the more likely that it isn't all that great. Whenever a manager begins bragging about his/her credentials, you can probably be assured that they probably aren't as competent as they want to believe themselves to be. Though I cannot say for sure that Buck is a horrible place to work, as I did not accept the position, it felt like I was going to the Walmart of actuarial careers.

I did learn that Buck will be changing names and breaking away from Xerox. They will be known as Conduit starting in 2017. I'm not sure why the name is change is needed, but they are very excited about moving forward.

As for me, the offer was given to me immediately and I declined it immediately. There would be very little to learn here, other than studies in office dysfunction.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with excel before?   1 Answer
    • Why did you choose your particular university?   Answer Question
    • Why are you applying to the associate position when you haven't finished your degree?   1 Answer

Associate Retirement Actuary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Buck Consultants (Secaucus, NJ) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online thru their website. I was contacted a week later by their HR recruiter to schedule a phone interview with him. Two day later we were able to speak. He gave me an over view of the company and asked about my experience and exam progress. That same day I was asked to schedule a F2F interview in the office. A week later I went in for my F2F interview. It was with 6 people, 2 at a time. They asked about my experience and projects I have worked on. Everyone was very friendly and easy to talk. The last part of the interview is a lunch interview. This was the hardest part of the interview. They asked more technical questions to really test my industry knowledge. A week later I was told that they wanted to move forward with me and after another week i was presented with an offer!

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you messed up and how dod you correct it   Answer Question

Negotiation

None needed

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Buck Consultants (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online in November and received an email to set up a phone interview in January. Phone interview had general questions like "tell me about yourself" and "what do you know about our company" with a few questions about actuarial terms at the end. Two weeks later, had the in-person interview with two directors that were very casual and conversation based. I was able to guide the conversation and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between a defined contribution plan and a defined benefit plan.   Answer Question
    • define the term "valuation"   Answer Question

Retirement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Buck Consultants (Secaucus, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

I left my resume in campus recruiting event and got an email to schedule phone interview. I did the phone interview and was asked to come for onsite interview for the next day. I was not the kind of person that needed a lot of time so I said OK.I traveled to Sacecaus, NJ for onsite interview and they reimbursed me the expense.

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Buck Consultants.

Interview

It was a pretty easy process, connected with HR which asked relevant experience questions related to the position you were applying for. Then had interviews with practice leaders where it was very straight forward about thoughts on the industry, discussing relevant experience, and ideas on how to help clients.

Client Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Buck Consultants (Secaucus, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Entire process took about 3 months.. Applied early May, Phone interview after Memorial day, F2F interview in June, Offer the following week. Start date in Aug. I had applied for more than one position, and leadership from each dept was present at the F2F interview. Felt like I was on Shark Tank

Interview Questions

• Telll me about yourself? Why are you looking to leave employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None needed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Buck Consultants (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

There were two interviewers. The first one had no idea how the internship program was ran and the last interviewer thought I was interviewing for a full-time position the whole time. I had to clarify at the end of the interview what position I was interviewing for since I noticed some of the questions were odd. This was a very awkward and dissapointing experience. Poorly managed company. A huge waste of time.

Actuarial Interview

Interview

Phone interview first...wanted to see if you knew about Buck. Asked a couple insurance questions (what is a defined contributions plan). In-person interview was 3 rounds with 2 interviewers each. Want to know about your resume (in detail), how you work on a team, and then your personality.

Actuarial Interview

Interview

Buck was very straightforward and quick about their interview process. It started with a phone interview with a recruiter. A couple of days later, I received notice that they wanted to see me in the office for in-person interviews. As a prospective intern, I was brought in with about 10 other candidates and had a sit down lunch with current employees and then four back-to-back interviews. The task seemed daunting at first but the company was so welcoming and efficient that the process moved very well. About two weeks later, I got a call saying I had the job.

Interview Questions

• Having strong Excel skills and knowledge of the company really helps with the phone interview. The in person interviews involved "typical" difficult questions regarding your character, work ethic, etc.   Answer Question