Buffer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Buffer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2017

2.7

Programmer Interview

Interview

These guys have a reputation for doing stunts about hiring as a way to generate buzz for their platform, not actually having available jobs or hiring top talent. I have a good reputation, credentials, and they cynically sent me a sarcastic no reply email. That's when I knew they weren't sincere and just feeling the market. A few years later, it turns out the natural growth engine of the company (the luck) is now waning off, and they're letting people go. So even the few mediocre B and C level devs that laid low and didn't pose a political threat to managers are seeking other work now. Time wasters, insincere. Low skill and intimidated by true talent for sure.

Happiness Hero Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Buffer.

Interview

I sent in my application on a Friday and had my first interview 3.5 weeks later. Then I had 3 more interviews over the next week or so. My first interview was with Deb, a Culture Scout. It was a basic "get to know you" email to see if I would fit in at the company. After that, I interviewed with Carolyn, the Chief Happiness Officer. This one was more of a blend between role and culture - she asked about my experience in customer support and why I enjoyed it, what my favorite (and least favorite) aspects of it are. The third interview was with a Happiness Lead, in which we talked more about the expectations of a Happiness Hero and how the Happiness Team works together. Finally, I had an interview with another Happiness Hero to learn even more about the role and the day-to-day life of a hero.

Each interviewer was warm, friendly, and engaged. I never felt put on the spot or like they were judging me. I really felt as if I got to know each interviewer as a person - it was almost as if I was talking to a friend instead of an interviewer. I waited a couple of weeks after my last interview before receiving an offer to join Buffer Bootcamp (it's my understanding that this wait was unusual - it was the beginning of the quarter and they were finalizing hiring goals before making any official offers). End-to-end, my application/interview/hiring process took 47 days.

Interview Questions

• What book would you recommend to me? (Asked in the culture-focused interview.)   1 Answer

Mobile Applications Happiness Hero Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Buffer in May 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application answers via the job opening page on the Buffer website. Within about two weeks they emailed me to let me know they were interested in talking more, and gave me another set of (somewhat more difficult) questions to answer. A few weeks after that I was then invited to a video chat with Jenny where I was asked standard questions given to every applicant. Quickly following our interview, I moved on to another video chat with Carolyn, which was more of a conversation than a Q & A session.

Interview Questions

• What book would you recommend to the Buffer team and why?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in working in the Happiness Hero role?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Buffer (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process took 4 months with a lot of changing schedules. The first interview was a quick screening with their culture scout and then two technical interviews to review the skills needed for the position. Each interaction took multiple emails before a response even once I was 2 interviews deep. Once I got to my final interview, they changed the job description.

General Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Buffer in January 2015.

Interview

The Buffer interview process was absolutely wonderful. At the time I applied for the Happiness Hero position, and at no point do they ask for a cover letter or resume, although they definitely do a lot of research on their candidates on social media, personal websites, etc.

I was contacted two months after I applied and a phone interview was scheduled for the next week, which took about 40 minutes, with questions primarily seeming to be about cultural fit. Communication was very positive and quick throughout the process, and Buffer is so transparent about their company and culture that there's nothing I can add that they haven't probably happily written on their blog already.

Product Creator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Buffer (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Was contacted 4 days after my application, via email from their HR. The communication was very straightforward and respectful. Had 2 questions sent to me via email; and after my response, they had decided they will not move on with my application. Competition is fierce, they only interview a few candidate of the applications they send. Have nothing but compliments for the team and their process though!

Interview Questions

• 1) Can you share 1-2 examples of your biggest accomplishments / some of the pieces you're the most proud of?

2) What your approach is to product development is in general?   Answer Question