Build-A-Bear Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.4

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was contacted by another field store training manager, felt it was a great first conversation, but too several weeks to arrange face to face. I finally met face to face with two district managers from another area. I felt the interview went well, and after a few back and forth emails, the process just dropped. Having been a DM in the past, the proper and respectful thing to do is inform someone of their application status, or if the company was going a different direction. It was overall quite disappointing to never receive a proper followup especially after being assured I would.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Orlando, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

i applied online and they called me about a week later and told me to come in for a group interview. the group interview was really fun and consisted of me and 6 other people. at the end of the group interview they did one on one interviews with us and took me and one other girl to the back room to fill out a questionnaire. after the questionnaire i was told that if i didn't hear from them in the next two weeks that meant they decided to go in a different direction but i heard back exactly one week later and was offered the job.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Fayetteville, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

They called and I had a meeting with Store Manager. Basic questions. Then a personality test. And a phone interview with DM, very thorough. They are interested in how you spend you free time

Interview Questions

• What do you want to work at Buildabear?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Salem, MA).

Interview

Heard back the day after applying and scheduled and interview for a week and a half later. I went to the interview and interviewed with a assistant manager who was going to show the note to the actual hiring manager. She told me if he liked the notes he took I would be called back for a second interview for a 8-10 hour a week position. Before I did the interview I had to take personality test which took about 45 minutes and it honestly distracted me from being ready for the actual interview and I didn't do as well. The back where I had my interview and did the survey was very dirty and the computer I did the survey on had spots on it.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Ontario, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied in July and got an interview in August. It was a group interview with 9 other people. She told us to introduce ourselves and tell our favorite scent. Store manager had a list from #1-25 and we had to act out a scenario from the number we chose. She had another list and we had to explain what we would do. There was a skit near the end and we broke into two groups to act a scene. At the end, she told the 3 people she wanted to have the 2nd part of a interview. Took about an hour and it was in the store, customers were around.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I went to three interviews. The first was a group interview, the second was a one on one with the manager, and the third was a one on one with the genral manager. I had to fill out a survey one the second and fill out a physical application at the third. In the third interview I was told to try and sell a bear to the genral manager and she said I did very well. Sadly, Build-A-Bear never bothered to call me back after three interviews even though I was told they would call me regardless.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear in July 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews, one was a group of three with the assistant manager interviewing us and the other was a one on one interview with the manager. I got a call a week after applying and came in for the first interview the day after. We took a survey with 100+ questions and if you were qualified you got another interview. During the second interview she asked me about 3 questions before she left me know I got the job. The process wasn't difficult at all, but the number one most important thing is personality, smile!

Interview Questions

• What would you do a little boy came in and asked for a princess bear?
      What is your biggest weakness?
      What was the first big thing you ever bought with your own money?
      Tell me about a time you earned something through hard work.
      Tell me about a time you worked with kids.
      Answer Question

Director of Store Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear in July 2016.

Interview

Please forgive me for expressing a ray of excitement during the process of applying for the Director of Operations role. I had what seemed to be a positive conversation with the recruiter, I have over 16 years of experience in retail operations and have developed many Best Practices and procedures for multiple companies. The recruiter mentioned that they saw a lot in my background that would make a good fit and translate into the company. Although I have gone from working in large public to smaller private companies, we had discussed how my skills would translate. I was asked to submit a list of things I implemented at one of the public companies I had worked for so that it could be shared with the hiring manager. I was asked to follow up with the recruiter by email the following Monday or Tuesday. I made multiple attempts over two weeks to follow up that were ignored. Finally I received a rejection letter with excuses, stating that the recruiter was 2 months behind in their work and the hiring manager was looking to refer someone from their past. For a company that wants to aspire to Disney philosophies and culture, they have a very long way to go.

Sales Assistant/Bear Builder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Anaheim, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

A group interview with nearly 40 others, way too large. Asked to bring a childhood memory to present to the group and it could not be a bear or stuffed animal. With that many presentations and then individual questions soon asked afterwards, the interview process took more 3.5 hours. After the long interview, we were asked to go upstairs in order to take a personality quiz. Overall, I gained experience; however, the entire interview was not planned professionally. Forty people applied together when there was only 2 spots open. In my opinion, they should have narrowed down the quantity in the beginning.

Interview Questions

• Without using the word "bear" and "childhood", explain why do you want to work here.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Katy, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview went really well, everyone was really nice. Self survey was really easy with typical questions. Process seemed fairly quick, even went through the reference check with great feedback. After all of that I heard nothing following the long process, I was pretty disappointed, I only wish they would give a response regarding weather your made the cut or not. I was really looking forward to a career change for my future.

Interview Questions

• How do you play with a purpose?   1 Answer