Build-A-Bear Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.3

83 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Anaheim, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email one week later to come in for a group interview that was held every Tuesday and Thursday. The interview was pretty easy because it was only me and this other girl. I thought I did well because the manager that interviewed me told me to take a personality quiz and not the other applicant who was there. I thought I did a good job and then I was told they would call me in 2-3 days. I never got called back.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Build-A-Bear

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (El Paso, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview and it was fairly easy but I think that's a problem. They didn't even ask enough questions to be able to stand out. I was ready to answer behavioral questions but only one was asked.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear in April 2017.

Interview

I applied using their website online, and they emailed me asking me to partake in a group interview 2 weeks later. I agreed, and almost immediately they emailed me back asking me to come in a week before the group interview, because they just had to interview me sooner. I walk in, and they had me fill out their actual employment application, which was bad planning on their part because that took more time than the actual interview. The store manager asked me basic interview questions, and then had me take their survey online. That was one week ago. I just got an email back today saying "I didn't match what they were looking for due to the results of the survey" which basically means if you don't get 100% of the answers they want, there's no chance of being hired. It's really dumb.
    Overall, their organization was terrible, and the survey is really pointless in determining who to hire.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irmo, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Irmo, SC) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied to this position mainly to gain my work experience and to get paid for working. I applied online during December 2016. A week later I called to see if anyone received or viewed my application. Then the person who called said it was busy. It was around the holidays and close to Christmas. So, I called again a few days after Christmas. Then, the person who answered had to set up an appointment for an interview.

It was around New Year's when I was going to have my interview. I came into Build- A- Bear workshop, and the cashier that came to me said the manager was not there. I had to wait an half an hour due to waiting on the manager. Then after my wait, the same cashier I was talking to said the manager was not there and said it was really busy which it was and I had to reschedule another interview appointment. During the same day, I called back to reschedule.

Then, I had my interview a week later. For some reason, it seemed like I did not have an one on one interview with the manager. It seemed like she was a cashier or something. She also looked like the same one that I talked with when I first came to Build- A- Bear workshop. So, I answered the questions she asked me. One of them was am I doing my internship for academic credit? Then, she also asked if I had work experience? Other questions she asked was pertaining to what can I say about Build- A-Bear workshop company. I said they were located all across the United States and Canada malls. Then, I said it was found in the year of 1997 at St. Louis, Missouri. She also was curious about the work I did from my virtual internship and how my experience was when I volunteered at the Salvation Army and Pets Inc Animal Shelter. After the interview, I had to do a written application even though I applied online. Though on the other hand, I did include two references as well. Then, I took a questionnaire test online which took about half an hour. When I was done, someone who was working there said they will call back in a few days or the week after the week of the interview.

So, I called that Friday during the next week. I wanted to see why no one was calling me back. Then, the same lady that I had an interview with said the manager was not there. I also called the next week as well to see why no one was letting me know if I got considered or not. I called and the same lady said I did not get considered from the mangers because I had no experience, probably due to the fact I never had a paying job before. Though, I did have some volunteer experience and I was currently in a virtual internship. I was hoping to get a job to get paid on the side since the internship I'm in is unpaid.

Interview Questions

• How was your experience with customers when I volunteered at Salvation Army and Pets Inc Animal Shelter? In addition to this, she asked me did I have any issues with customers or bad experiences? How did you deal with them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Kennesaw, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

The process was very simple, a bit longer than other interviews I've been on so it was about an hour. I just had a one-on-one interview. I was asked questions about some experiences at previous jobs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (West Covina, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Due to many people applying, there were groups that consisted of approximately 10 to 12 people. The interview was short and sweet! We were asked a total of 4 questions and told we would be contacted within a week if the manager was interested.

Interview Questions

• In two words, how would your friends describe you? What is one thing they would say you need to work on?   Answer Question
    • Describe one thing you did that made someone's day.   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Orlando, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

i applied online and they called me about a week later and told me to come in for a group interview. the group interview was really fun and consisted of me and 6 other people. at the end of the group interview they did one on one interviews with us and took me and one other girl to the back room to fill out a questionnaire. after the questionnaire i was told that if i didn't hear from them in the next two weeks that meant they decided to go in a different direction but i heard back exactly one week later and was offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Salem, MA).

Interview

Heard back the day after applying and scheduled and interview for a week and a half later. I went to the interview and interviewed with a assistant manager who was going to show the note to the actual hiring manager. She told me if he liked the notes he took I would be called back for a second interview for a 8-10 hour a week position. Before I did the interview I had to take personality test which took about 45 minutes and it honestly distracted me from being ready for the actual interview and I didn't do as well. The back where I had my interview and did the survey was very dirty and the computer I did the survey on had spots on it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I went to three interviews. The first was a group interview, the second was a one on one with the manager, and the third was a one on one with the genral manager. I had to fill out a survey one the second and fill out a physical application at the third. In the third interview I was told to try and sell a bear to the genral manager and she said I did very well. Sadly, Build-A-Bear never bothered to call me back after three interviews even though I was told they would call me regardless.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Chula Vista, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview, the manager didn't ask any questions specific questions for each of us to answer. She started off with splitting us into 2 groups where we had to make a team name, a chant, and learn 5 things about the person next to us. Then she had us act out a commercial, learn a song and that was pretty much it. It was pretty easy and not to intimidating.