Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.7

Assistant Construction Professional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2017.

Interview

Online interview through interview stream. Could go at own pace. Half of the questions video response, half type in answer. All of the questions were personality based. It appeared they wanted to know about your past experiences and how those will make you a good employee.

Interview Questions

• Name, school and major, desired locations, your role in a team, why you chose your major, what you are looking for in employer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview

I applied to a posting online. There was a pre-interview meet and greet with one of the program directors. It was not that it went badly but seriously, who asks a person what their race is outright in the pre-interview? Well Burns and Mac does. Next I was offered a detailed interview that took all day. It was a series of conference calls and meetings with several of their directors. They were polite. The questions were not difficult but it was a bit exhausting to be interviewed all day long. They called back and lowballed a salary that was about 50% below the industry standard for the work they were asking me to do. Their salaries are very low. Employee ownership and stock options do not cover the losses that would be incurred. I thought it was a bit impersonal for a company that size that HR was the one that called back with the offer after I spent all day visiting with their crew. After I gave them the salary, HR called back to tell me I would not be a good fit for the position because of the salary requirement and when they did they also told me that they did not want to work with they "type of clients" that I could bring them. These were Native American clients that were extremely kind, professional and loyal and quite lucrative and difficult to sign with. I got a good dose of "Midwest Nice" in the interview, but was quite surprised to see that an engineering company of their caliber would be ao openly racist in an interview. Does everyone not know by now that this kind of thing is not only uncool but also illegal? When I looked at their website all of their managers were balding Caucasian men. Many companies actively seek to promote diversity in the workplace. This one seems to discourage it outright. Not the company for me.

Interview Questions

• "What race are you?" Big fail there.   1 Answer

Senior Transmission Line Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Houston, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone screen interview followed by an in person panel interview. Interviewers made a great effort in showing a clear picture of the company's culture and corporate environment. Interview is very extensive and is a full day event.

Interview Questions

• Why Burns & McDonnell and not going back to one of our competitors that you have already worked for?   Answer Question

Management Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in September 2017.

Interview

I responded to their website. I matched all the listed requirements and preferences. After a month, I got a call to come in to discuss in one month's time. Meeting was delayed and rescheduled.

I only met with only white, males under 40 years of age. When I asked about diversity at the company, I was met with a look of horror. They also asked if I knew my former supervisor and another former co-worker they seemed to know well. I had a lot of trouble with both these people in the past. They did not want my references.

I was told that I was a great candidate and that everything looked great and that they would be happy to work with me. Also, I would be expecting a call back that week, No call.
    The job was reposted on Glassdoor and left open on the company website.
    I called the following week. No response.
    I called the following week and e-mailed a list of references. I got a response that the company decided to go with someone that was "a better fit". but that I was a great candidate. I was not asked to look at other positions with the company.

I am certain that B&M contacted these former co-workers and that they bad-mouthed me.

My take-away is this: If B&M can't determine the quality of people the contact for information, they are not a good place to work.

If you want a job there, don't worry about the qualifications they list just make sure that you are: White, Under 40, Male. If they really need someone to actually work, they will allow darker people and females, but not the olds.

Interview Questions

• Do you know 'So-and-so' and 'Such-and-such'. One was a former co-worker that used to take credit for my work and the second was a former supervisor that gave me trouble for being gay (like sending me bible sermons on how to live properly and do chapter reports on christian self-help books).   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

great. put me at ease. Hope to get to interview again with this comp. It was a phone interview because I live many states away. Lasted approx 20 mins which I find normal

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Boston, MA).

Interview

Got contacted through a recruiter for this position. Recruiter set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager never called in, and I ended up having to listen to conference line hold music for 15 minutes before deciding to disconnect. This happened twice.

EIT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview

Applied online and then received follow up with instructions to conduct an HR video interview. Only two attempts are allowed to respond to video interview questions. Submitted my responses and am waiting to here back from them.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was 1 hour long. One department manager, one project manager, and one staff scientist on the phone. Good mix of generic interview questions and resume and job-skill related questions. Waiting to hear back from HR. Next stage will be an in-person interview. Very reasonable and positive interview experience.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2017.

Interview

It was an online video interview. The questions were prerecorded and you are given two minutes to answer each question. They gave two attempts to answer each question. If you used the second attempt, the first recording was deleted.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in April 2017.

Interview

I developed a power point presentation for many people including several on the phone. The people were very engaged and the dialogue was informative. Many different managers of varying specialties were involved.