Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2018

2.7

Construction Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in February 2015.

Interview

Two interviews:

October: In-person 30 minute interview on campus following our career fair - this was fairly general and the interviewer was not part of the group that I wanted to intern with.

February: a 30+ minute phone interview with the CDB office manager and my internship mentor that was specific for the location and type of internship that I wanted

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from other applicants? - and they really wanted to know, it wasn't just a question on their list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in January 2014.

Interview

Create and present a power point about yourself and your career goals. Individual discussions with different global practices. Laid back style and the conversation is based on your presentation and career interests.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

A phone call followed by a meeting with 2 Higher-ups including a powerpoint presentation I was told to prepare. Just be friendly. Ask them lots of questions about the job and themselves.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about projects from school and gave GPA a of of weight. Getting along very well with the interviewers wasn't hard but seemed very important   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Behaviorial phone interview two weeks later. Then they flew me out to the headquarters for an onsite interview two weeks after that. This interview required a personal presentation along with separate interviews with the managers from different groups in the company. All travel was reimbursed, professional interview, but not stressful

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      What is a weakness you have?
      Why did you apply to Burns and McDonnell?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

First met with HR. They asked very generic questions about your core beliefs and things that are important to you. They wanted to make sure I was a good fit for the culture - working in teams and having leadership roles I believe is what helped me get in.

Then they flew me to the corporate office which involved three different interview for three different global practices (yes, you could potentially have three or four different job offers from a single company.)

To start the "interviews" I had to give a brief presentation on my background. I talked about why I wanted to become an engineer, the roles I have played on teams, my background on internships, and why I really wanted to work for Burns and McDonnell.

After the presentation I met with three different division managers one on one. Each division manager talked about what their global practice/division does for about 30 minutes. They then asked me about four or five questions and opened the remaining 20 minutes to questions I had for them.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in a situation where you are part of a team and somebody is not pulling their own weight or doing their part.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

Attended career fair, selected for an on campus interview. Recieved a follow up interview onsite at the World Headquarters building in KC.

Assistant Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through my university's career center. I only submitted my resume online and did not attend the information center. For reference, I am a Masters student.
    The interview was pretty easy with normal questions. Here are several questions I remember.
    - Tell me about yourself.
    - Explain some of your engineering tasks.
    - What are some of the things you like about our company?
    - Which of our services interest you the most?
    - What are you looking for in a job?
    - Talk about some of things you've learned as a leader.
    - What are some non-engineering things you've been involved in?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
    - Do you have any other interviews scheduled?

At the end, he discussed the available opportunities for mechanical engineers and wanted to see which locations and tasks would interest me most. Lastly, have 3-4 questions ready to ask after you're done.

Assistant Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2016.

Interview

I applied over their website and got an email from HR a week later inviting me to do a video interview. In the interview, I had two or three attempts to answer a pre-recorded questions before submitting my answers. After completing my interview, I received an email asking for my portfolio, which I sent them. Two week later I got a phone call inviting me for an in person interview but declined as I had already accepted another job.

Interview Questions

• What are you goals and what are you doing to achieve them?   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

They flied me out to the Kansas City, MO office (the HQ). You give a presentation about yourself to the interviewers as well, so be prepared for that. Other than that, they didn't ask any technical questions, only about what was on my resume. They took me out to lunch with a VP and a couple younger employees, however, the VP was very pushy and monopolized the entire lunch. After lunch, that was it. All in all, only about 3 hours long.

Interview Questions

The formal attire and attitude of the company presented was a major distaste of mine. Suit every day while working at a computer wasn't attractive to me. Also they blatantly told me not to negotiate my offer if I received one, which was extremely off-putting. I believe this is a side-effect of the employee owned company, since more money for me means less money for them.

They really pushed the employee owned aspect of it, to the point of being excessive. The salary was also below average, and combined with the reasons above, I declined the offer.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The company took only a couple days to reach out to me and schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, they wanted to interview me in person at their Chicago office about two weeks later. After the on-site interview, they extended an offer within days--all in all, the whole hiring process was very fast, only about 3-4 weeks.

Phone Interview: Very easy. It's with HR, and so it's very much an opportunity to simply introduce yourself, explain your background, and give them an idea if you're a potential employee. Don't expect anything technical, the HR just talks about the company.

On-site Interview: Laid back, conversational. A lot of attention is placed on your 20 minute self presentation. If you do a good job at explaining your coursework, your work experience, and your values, then there should be plenty to talk about. After your presentation, you get the chance to sit and talk with the individual teams (in my case, one interview with the Generation group and one with the Transmission/Distribution group). Don't be surprised when they ask you conversational questions like what your hobbies are, or whether or not you'll live in downtown. On the technical side, they don't expect anyone to be technically prepared for their kind of work since it's very non-theoretical, so don't expect any technical "quiz" questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you had to exhibit patience/humility when dealing with someone.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary was non-negotiable.