Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.7

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Mumbai (India)) in July 2016.

Interview

Technical test consisted of 50 questions and alloted time was 1 hr, pretty difficult questions and moreover it had questions from the presentation so you had to be really attentive during the 2 hour presentation. And Technical interview which lasted about 50 mins and questions were mainly based on the design of steel sections.

I&C Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Houston, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

First interview was a five question video interview. This one consisted of entirely behavioral questions and the responses could be prepared for slightly in advanced. The second was a telephone interview with the manager that I would be working for. This was entirely technical and had a variety of questions involving PLCs and controls engineering concepts.

Interview Questions

• What is a PID controller and what is it used for?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Structural Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Manhattan, KS) in September 2014.

Interview

I had to make an online account on their website and visit the recruiters at the career fair hosted by my university. Once selected, I had an in-person interview with one of the representatives. A month later, I had a phone interview with a Departmental Manager to solidify intern expectations, tasks, etc.

The entire process was around 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Does this align with your interests?   1 Answer

Substation Or Telecommunication Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2016.

Interview

I was to do a presentation on myself, go through an interview process and then have a short tour around the company.

My presentation was fine, I did it in front if four managers, all men, in an office room, but the interview process was brutal. There was one guy in specific that had it out for me, he was a high ranking manager.

Some of the questions:
    Why pick Burns & McDonnell? - yeah I answered this one to the best of my ability, it was a reasonable question

If you wanted to work for a consulting company why did you get an internship at a tech company? Well, I'm sorry no consulting companies wanted to hire me during the several years I was looking for an internship while in college, especially during the oil crisis. And the one consulting company I did want to work for offered me a position but couldn't follow through on it because of reasons. (That's not how I answered it. But I was kind of offended by the question)

They'll ask a technical question right after you tell them your strongest class - if you aren't sure of the answers write down your process or say I don't know. They'd rather an I don't know than an unsure answer.

The manager then assumed there was another power course I could have taken. Even though the course was offered only to Technology not Engineering majors at my university.
    They expect a lot of knowledge from me considering 2 out of 4 of them admitted to having no prior experience before their hire.

Then we had a conversation about time management, and that if I wanted time to myself then this wasn't the place for me. - yes I know this company is high on work load, I guess my presentation sound like I wouldn't want to put in the work.

A lot of what was going on in the interview was the high ranking manger saying reasons for why this place might not be a good fit for me.

Because of this experience I wasn't that bothered when they sent me a rejection email, even though they said they'd call me to tell me the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why intern at a tech company if you wanted to work at a consulting company?   Answer Question

Proposal Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

I was made aware of the position through my recruiter. My recruiter submitted my resume on January 29. I participated in a brief interview with HR on February 3 who confirmed later that day that an in person interview was scheduled for February 12.

During that interview, I spoke with four people - two at a time - over a period of about 2.5 hours. All four people were positioned to interact directly with the Proposal Writer/Editor job.

I interviewed for a third time on April 9 with another three people who also would interact directly with the selected candidate.

I felt that all the interviews went well, although there are always things I wish I could have done better, so was disappointed when I didn't hear anything for weeks. I followed up with the HR contact who told me to stay in touch. It actually took nearly two months from the final interview to receive an email saying that they actually decided not to fill the position.

It was a pretty intense process given the number of people, length of discussions and various roles interested in weighing in on the hiring process (Marketing, Strategy, Process, Product, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Questions were all pretty situational and centered around how I would operate in a role where tools and resources were not readily available or very well defined - they were in the early stages of building an RFP library and response process.   1 Answer

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in June 2015.

Interview

I received a "Congrats!" email saying that I was going to get to participate in their webcam interview. I did that, and the entire time my internet connection was miserable. You get to answer a question and then review your answer before you go to the next question. When I viewed my answers they were completely pixelated and my audio was completely uninterpretable. As each question passed, I got more and more disheartened that my interview would just turnout extremely horrid. I emailed the support team after I submitted the interview and they told me that they fixed my submission so it makes sense. They also said that I would not need to have ask for a retry. I emailed my recruiter to explain what happen and ask for an opportunity to retry and she never responded. It's been over two weeks and I haven't received a rejection email or any response at all. Very disappointing for me. I would have loved to have a fair shot for the position.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in August 2013.

Interview

101 interview, on-site visit with other prospective new employees for the interview day, followed by PPTpresentation to managers and 101 interviews with each one of them...you must really impress them!!!

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.

Division Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Miami, FL) in May 2008.

Interview

Burns and Mac flew me Kansas City to meet with all the CEEO and directors.

Interview Questions

They wanted me to sign a noncompete..

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

great. put me at ease. Hope to get to interview again with this comp. It was a phone interview because I live many states away. Lasted approx 20 mins which I find normal