Burns & Wilcox Assistant Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Burns & Wilcox Assistant Underwriter Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2017

2.5

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview

There were three rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview with an HR representative. Then I had an onsite with the Underwriting Manager. Finally I had an interview with the VP.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Burns & Wilcox

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Overall a pretty good interview process with four stages: 30 minute phone interview, 1 hour in-person interview with underwriting team, 30 minute in-person interview with senior executives, then 30 minute interview with the CEO Mr. Kaufman. Mr. Kaufman was a little intimidating but he's a lawyer so it was expected. Questions weren't too difficult. I liked the company and the people I met with. I would've taken the offer but I took another one with better pay and benefits.

Interview Questions

• What did you do specifically in your internship where you made your mark that another person wouldn't have done?
      How do you stay organized?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, Quick 10 minute interview with HR, followed by an hour phone caller with SVP, Then interview at the office where I met with lead underwriter HR and other assistants.

Interview Questions

• Time you made a mistake and how you fixed it.
      Do you prefer clear guidelines or flexibility in problem solving.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Wilmington, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

2 interview rounds and I'm waiting to hear back. Very conversational no hard questions. Personality gauge not many behavioral questions. Brought in associate underwriters to describe job scope. Very nice people. Second interview is more about company culture.

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in October 2015.

Interview

Email correspondences and a quick phone call for additional details and the interview date. During the interview, I spent the first few minutes with the VP/Manager going over my background and what I knew about the company and position. Later on, he invited the underwriter whom the position reported to along with the other assistant underwriter. In short, the interview was a information session regarding the company, the position, and what the underwriter expected. That was about 75% of the time. The manager was surprised that I didn't have more questions at the end of the process but I exhausted all my prepared and on the spot questions during the conversation. I asked about the time frame of the their hiring process and he told me that it could take up to one month and that I shouldn't worry if I don't hear back any time soon. I had a feeling that I wasn't going to be considered at that point since the team and the manager stressed that they needed someone ASAP during the interview. 24 hours later, I got an automated thank you for your time email. Overall, the interview was fine, I learned a lot about the industry and the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with operations manager and the underwriting manager first. They asked basic questions about my strengths, past occupations, what activities I participate in (such as student organizations), and about my education. They seemed to want to gauge my personality more than question what they could already see on my resume.

Afterwards, I was allowed to ask them questions. I wanted to know more about the job scope and what a typical day being and assistant underwriter would be like. They then brought in two assistant underwriters that I was able to question and garner a deeper understanding of job roles.

They will also help further your education with classes at a local university and at Kaplan.

Interview Questions

Burns & Wilcox Response

Sep 28, 2015 – Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your interview experience at Burn & Wilcox. We are pleased to hear that the interview was positive.

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in January 2015.

Interview

Completed application online which consists of submitting resume, completing some additional information about yourself, and took skills assessment.
    Three rounds of face to face interviews meeting with different members of company.
    Background Check
    Job Offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Tampa, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied to the organization online and received an email about two weeks later, asking for an interview. When I went to the interview, I met with 4 different experienced underwriters and management personnel. I was highly impressed with the level of knowledge and experience of all of the interviewers. The interviews went very smoothly, no promises were made, but they took the time to explain the inter-workings of the company and what the job would entail, along with how the path to promotion and training would be laid out. It was an altogether pleasant experience and seems like a strong employee-oriented organization.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were more akin to information sessions, where I was able to ask questions and gain an understanding about expectations and how the business operated.   Answer Question

Sep 28, 2015 – Talent

Burns & Wilcox provides first-class expertise in the lines of business they underwrite. We are pleased to hear about what you learned from our underwriters in the Tampa office. Thank you for giving ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (San Diego, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

1st interview-phone. 30 min. Basic behavioral/career questions. Fairly easy.
    2nd interview-in person with hiring manager. Again, basic behavioral/career questions. Went pretty well. I was asked to come back for a third interview with a couple of additional upper-management personnel.
    3rd interview-It was with the same hiring manager I interviewed with on the second one plus two managers from their San Francisco office. I don't know if they were going for a good cop/bad cop thing or what, but it was kind of strange. The older gentleman was light-hearted while the second, middle-aged manager was very serious and asked loaded questions, such as "What makes you better than your coworkers?" (I answered something to the effect of "while everyone has an important job to do, my strengths are..." No personality or anything with her. It was a weird juxtaposition between her and the older man. Meanwhile, the woman I interviewed with on the second interview just sat there quietly the whole time. It made it really uncomfortable having to turn and acknowledge three different people/personalities during the interview as they were all seated across from me at a big conference table. They asked repeatedly if I had any questions, but being as it was my 3rd interview, I had a pretty good understanding of the job and company by then and did not have any additional questions prepared. They appeared a little disappointed by this. I'd advise bringing some questions to all interviews even if it seems redundant. They also asked about company history which is generally standard for interviews, but just a heads-up for potential candidates. The older gentleman seemed really happy to talk about company history. The manager I interviewed with the 2nd time said she would call me soon. I waited 10 days and there was no response, so I called to follow up (had also sent thank-you emails after a day or so). The manager said it was an ongoing process and she would call me by the end of next week with a "yay or nay." It's been three weeks and I still haven't heard from her, so I'm assuming I didn't get the job. I've accepted a job with a better company that most likely pays better, but I can't help feeling rather disrespected by not getting any follow up from her...especially after spending a lot of my time and energy on 3 interviews. Extremely unprofessional. I'd recommend pursuing a job with a bigger company and keeping this job opportunity as a back up.

Interview Questions

Burns & Wilcox Response

Sep 23, 2015 – Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our interview process. The recruiting team is disappointed to hear that Burns & Wilcox did not meet your expectations as a potential employer. We ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Was contacted through email after submitting my resume to schedule an in person interview. This interview was very in formal in regards to the "questions" they asked. This was more of an infomational interview and the interview telling my about the position, who they are, and why this position is open.