Burson-Marsteller Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Burson-Marsteller Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Burson-Marsteller

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burson-Marsteller (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by HR at BM's DC office in May 2017 via LinkedIn about an opportunity to join them and help implement digital advertising campaigns for their public affairs clients as a senior associate. After reviewing my resume and discussions with the team, they determined I was better suited for a manager's role (one step above senior associate) and said they were looking to move very quickly with this position, hoping to have it filled by the end of July at the latest.

Generally speaking, the entire process was fairly straightforward: an initial phone call with HR to tell me about the position and see if I was interested, an in person meeting with a director (who would be my manager), a round of interviews with three other directors/VPs, and a writing test in which I put together a sample advertising plan and memo. Throughout most of the process, HR was very accessible, transparent, and helpful, going so far as to tell me that everyone was impressed with me and looking forward to hopefully having me come on board. Additionally, she provided me with all the benefits and discussed salary as well as details as minute as what kind of computer I could receive. By mid July, I was informally told by HR that I was their candidate of choice after having passed all the interviews and the writing test and that the position was mine once they got sign off from all the necessary entities.

However, towards the end of July, HR called me to tell me that while I was still their candidate of choice and that they would likely be able to get sign off from BM's New York office, they would have to wait before extending a formal offer as they had to get approval from WPP (BM's holding company) in London and that it would likely be two weeks. In the meantime, my would be manager took me out for drinks to assure me of their interest and that a formal offer was coming. At the end of the two weeks, I reached back out to HR for an update and was told that it would likely be two months before a formal offer could be extended because of logistical issues and that as soon as she heard something, she would reach out immediately.

Because I wasn't actively looking for a job and because BM seemed like a great company, I reached out after two months to HR and did not get a response, either from the initial reach out or the follow up after that.

I felt very strung along given the prolonged process and general assurances/feedback that this would result in a formal offer. I can't help but wonder if I was being fished for ideas since the position I was interviewing for was to help kickstart an operation at BM's DC office that's in its infancy.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult clients? Can you give us an example?

What kind of campaign would you set up if the client had (x) goal?

How would you measure the success of a campaign with (x) objective?

Would you be alright with traveling?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Burson-Marsteller

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Burson-Marsteller in January 2014.

Interview

They were extremely upfront about what the job entailed and my work. The management structure was thoroughly explained and I had an excellent understanding of what I'd be doing and the type of company I'd be working for.

Manager Interview

Interview

Contacted by in-house recruiter after applying for a separate position. Interviewed with 2 people in person after phone interview with recruiter. Fairly straightforward process and pretty "normal" questions, covering background, experience, skills, interests, needs of the position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected--reviewed past work experience, skills, capabilities, strengths, needs of the position, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Flexible on vacation days; less flexible on title and compensation

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Burson-Marsteller (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

This was the longest interview process I have ever been through. From start to finish it took at least 45 days. I met with and talked to about 7 different people.

This is a group of very smart people, who all work extremely hard. The only advice I can offer express that you are a hard worker and a team player. This is very important.

Also, be honest about likes and dislikes. I don't think it will cost you the interview and you have a btter chance of working on things that interest you.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the table? What do you think you can offer that another candidate can't?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Flexible so negotiate. If you can't get salary, ask about vacation or other benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Burson-Marsteller (San Francisco, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

I was approache by the recruiting manager in San Francisco. He was extremely likable, professional and honest. It was a balanced interview- simple to tough questions. Later, I was interviewed by PR manager. He was professional with straight forward questions. My next interview was was with a Managing Direct. She seemed confused about her objective. I got a sense she was not sure what to ask. Overall, I had a good experience. It was a good job so it was a bummer that I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Have you had experience with global coordinations? If so, to what capacity? Could you give me a recent experience where one agency from another country did not colloborate with you? What did you do to resolve the problem?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burson-Marsteller (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in February 2010.

Interview

The interviews were very structured right from the first interaction with the HR. Met the business heads and was very pleased to see that the interviews were very situation based. This gave them a good understanding of how I would react in tough client/people management situations. To make the decision swifter they had the psychometric test, the results of which were shared with me later and found 90% accurate in my case. Overall, a very pleasant experience of meeting very knowledgeable people.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burson-Marsteller in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process moved very quickly and was well planned. Most of the 1:1 interviews were conversational where you got a chance to reflect you personality. I spoke to several senior people, which was a good experience. There were ample opportunities to ask questions as well. My overall experience was very good.

Interview Questions

• Tell us more about your background.   1 Answer
    • Write a business memo on a specific topic.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The HR manager was very fair during the negotiation process. You can negotiate your pay as well as benefits to an extent. My suggestion is to be honest and upfront about your expectations during the negotiation process.