C3.ai Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

C3.ai Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at C3.ai

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at C3.ai (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, the got back to me within a few hours. I was asked to complete a coding challenge on Hackerrank. I am waiting for the results.
There were 4 questions to solve in 45 minutes, 3 were multiple choice questions. They were based on machine learning fundamentals and you could use a code to get the answer.
The last one was a simple algorithm problem, you could solve it in a programming language of your choice.

Interview Questions

• 4 questions were asked, 3 multiple choice machine learning based questions. One was coding an algorithm. The coding interface was not that easy to debug in (I'd suggest you try a few Hackerrank questions first, I tried the sample one but I never had to debug so I didn't realise) and I couldn't output the answer in the needed format but on my IDE I got a correct answer.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for C3.ai

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at C3.ai (Redwood City, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was reached out by a recruiter for this position. First they sent me an online test for coding and data science background knowledge. After passing the test I was invited to onsite interview.

There're 3 sessions for the onsite interview, each for about 45min~1hr. The first was to chat with 2 senior members. They asked how I think about the job responsibility and how I would explain various machine learning or data science algorithms and heuristics to clients. The second also had 2 interviewers, 1 asked algorithm question and 1 asked linear regression. I feel the algorithm question was weird because I don't think the answer really solves that question (despite I managed to figure out the answer he was looking for); maybe it's focus is on table/matrix manipulation instead of algorithm. As to the linear regression question, I really didn't expect questions about basic linear regression theory and derivation in a machine learning interview, and the interviewer was late to interview and just left after he heard my answer. The 3rd interview was also coding question.

Interview Questions

• - What is machine learning?
      - Graph and matrix operation.
      - Linear regression theory and derivation.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at C3.ai in October 2016.

Interview

First round is an online test. Ask 3 questions about machine learning (SVM, K-nearst ect) and implement a simple Python algorithm.
    Second round a phone screen, the interviewer ask questions about my experience in resume.

Interview Questions

• Did you write your code on your own? Why did you do that? Why don't you use the prebuilt models? What's the difference between your code and prebuilt models?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at C3.ai.

Interview

First they gave online challenge and then telephony interview.
    After that they scheduled Skype interview with 3 people which lasted 3 hours - All fundamental machine learning questions and a screen shared coding round. Difficulty level was good and is easy to fumble if you are not theoretically strong.
    Another call scheduled for another round of 3 people skype interview. Another 3 hours of behavioral interviews (focused on the work I had done). They told me that there would be another round with CEO which will be the final round.
    Even though all the interviews went very well, they send me a reject next week. Can you believe it!
    So after giving 8 rounds of interviews in total(including coding challenge) and 8:30 hours spent interviewing with this company (excluding the number of hours I studied preparing), someone would expect at least expect valid reason from the company.
    They gave me most vague reason for not selecting me which does not even make any sense -
    "As for feedback, the team thought you were technically up to par, however there were just a few others in the pipeline who had a bit more experience in certain skills that could be applied to a few projects we are planning."
    I thought experience part is taken care of in the screening process itself. If they did not think that I was experienced enough(which is printed on the resume), why to bother even engaging me in the process?
    Thank you C3 for wasting my valuable time. Please at least read people's resume before engaging them in the interview process.

Interview Questions

C3.ai Response

Feb 26, 2018 – Marketing

We are sorry that you did not feel your time was used effectively. We work very hard to recruit superlative data scientists who can operate at and advance the leading edge of AI. As you... More

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at C3.ai (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Process was efficient and very clear. First step was a phone screen (normal tell me about yourself and various projects you have worked on and how you went about solving them). Second step was an online coding test - some multiple choice questions on ML techniques and approaches (SVM, etc...). Also one coding problem - can be done in language you prefer.

Last step was an in person interview. Met with three member of the team, about 45 minutes each. We walked through projects I had worked on, ML techniques I had used with some questions surrounding results / other possible approaches, and testing understanding.

Entire process ran very smoothly - total time from beginning to end was a few weeks.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at C3.ai.

Interview

Applied during summer of 2016. The entire process is very responsive and pleasant. First onsite was technical, emphasizing on machine learning and problem-solving. Second onsite was behavioral, meeting with VPs and CEO. It was really cool! One tip for the technical round: communication is key, explaining your thinking process can help you solving the problem!!

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at C3.ai (Redwood City, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview processed involved 1 phone screen and 3 onsite interviews with data scientists. In the final round, I interviewed with the executive leadership, including the CEO. The team was very accommodating to my recruiting schedule and followed up promptly. The lead data scientist even happily scheduled additional time with me over the phone to answer my questions about the team and company.

From the first phone screen, I was impressed with the breadth and level of sophistication of the line of questioning on machine learning, statistics, and programming. Questions touched on topics including stochastic optimization, deep learning, linear programming, random forests and decision trees, graph traversal, ROC curves, sparse matrix implementation, and a case study involving feature generation.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at C3.ai in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and I received an email 1 week later from them asking me to complete a Hackerank test. It was an extremely busy week for me, and they said that the test can be completed in 2 weeks, so I waited for another week before I completed the test. The test itself was not very difficult, but the coding interface was frustrating that it was difficult to debug. The thing that upsets me most is that literally 1 min after I submitted the Hackerank test, I received an email from them saying that they 'reviewed my application and decided not to proceed with my candidacy'(likely auto-generated). I think this is unprofessional. If they auto-grade the test, they could have said so up front because I expected to have someone personally look at my answers. Maybe they should put some effort to improve their interview experience.

Interview Questions

• machine learning multiple choice and a simple coding question   Answer Question

C3.ai Response

May 10, 2017 – C3 IoT

Thank you for your interest in a career at C3 IoT. At C3 IoT we follow a rigorous and thorough process to hire our data scientists and engineers. Owing to the large number of resumes we receive, we... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at C3.ai (Redwood City, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Data challenge -> technical phone call with a senior DS -> 3 hour onsite -> video tech interview -> phone call with principal DS -> rejection

The process is not the same for everyone, for example I had an additional video interview where I needed to semi-pesudo code k-means from scratch within 30 minutes. The onsite interview was fine, I was a bit shocked to hear one of the data scientists say "oh boy" when he exit the conference room. Not sure how to take it.

Overall, I don't think the company culture is for me. But the office has really nice views.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at C3.ai (Urbana, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Asked some behavioral question related to project and work experience. Then asked some basic machine learning and data mining questions. Some level of follow up questions related to each basic idea that was presented in the previous questions.