CAL Poly Pomona Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.2

Academic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona (Pomona, CA).

Interview

The interview was a typical all-day academic interview. Included 2 presentations, lunch and a tour.

The worst part is they never contacted me to tell me th position was filled and when I emailed to follow up I got no reply. I found out it had been filled by looking on LinkedIn.

Interview Questions

• What evidence would you provide to show the value of this department?   Answer Question

Assistant Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona (Pomona, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Straight forward interview process and questions are mostly hypotheticals. Received three separate calls for different ASC positions. All three positions were for different departments of the University. In each of all the interviews, the Dean of the Department sat in for the interview which does not support them to begin with. Coming from a major So-Cal University I don't understand where the Cal POly Deans find the time to sit in on an insignificant staff position. Cal Poly Pomona seems to be very nepotistic in hiring other Cal Poly/ CSU grads for staff positions while they fill their Faculty/ Administration with UC and Ivy grads. Makes sense... Save money on the staff while filling the pockets of Faculty...

But I digress... The process takes forever! At least 3-4 weeks before getting the phone interview, another 3-4 weeks for the actual interview and 8 weeks for the offer (for 1/3 positions). I assume they offered the position to someone else and it did not work out. The questions for staff positions are simple as long as you use the STAR method. The interviews were a pleasure and had a great balance between being personal and professional.

The negative for Cal Poly Pomona is how long the process takes and how unprofessional the staff is with regards to follow-up. I mean 16 weeks for basically an assistant position. I have heard from 1/3 positions and I believe I will not hear back from the other 2. When you go through 4-5 hour multi-day interviews and become a finalist, you hope that they would at least take the time to email you to let you know what the result was. Don't waste your time following up to see where the process is, they will respond with absolute silence.

Basically got offered another similar position in another So-Cal University paid 1.5x more than what they would have offered. Try your luck somewhere else. I'm just sad, cause I really wanted to get a feel for Cal Poly as I was looking into a masters program they offer. I won't even waste my time on applying for that program now too.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example of a difficult interpersonal conflict in the workplace and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona (Pomona, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

This was a typical academic interview. It is non-stop for 12 hours (literally). There were meetings with everyone on the committee, and a presentation was given to a number of faculty and students. Everyone was super friendly.

Assistant Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona in October 2015.

Interview

Phone interview for an assistant coordinator position that mostly came off as half behind the scenes logistics/event planning and half on stage presentations, customer facing role. They described the position, but didn't really talk about themselves or the department and then just jumped into the interview. Was surprised I even got an interview because a Masters Degree was under their preferred qualifications. That could be why I wasn't selected to move forward. The whole process took about a little over a month.

Front Desk Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona.

Interview

You apply online about halfway through the academic year to secure a position for the following academic year. The interview process is fairly streamlined; you pick a time slot for an interview which lasts about an hour. A the time it was a 2:1 person interview with the possibility of several other candidates being interviewed around you (there are many FDA positions to fill).

Several weeks later you'll receive an email on whether or not you got the position and further instructions if you did. You're obligated to live on campus for the duration of the academic year and participate in the Welcome Week Program for two weeks leading to the start of classes.

Interview Questions

• You may need to take disciplinary action towards someone you consider a friend. How would you handle this sort of situation?   Answer Question

Advisor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona (Pomona, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was a panel with 3 advisors. The main advisor in charge of the summer program was Leon. First they asked a series of questions to get to know you. Then they asked you to perform tasks on the computer that were pertinent to the job. Then they asked if you had any questions for them. It was a typical interview process. My advice to you is to really build a strong connection with whoever you are talking to. They like to be interactive and engage in a conversation rather than ask and answer.

Community Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona (Pomona, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

My initial interview was via skype because I was not in the region at the time. Very straight forward with the questions...nothing too challenging because quite frankly the vacancy was for a position that I had 4 years of experience already doing. It felt like more of a confirmation of whether or not I was the real deal or just someone trying to inflate my skills and abilities. The in-person interview was similar...everyone was quite friendly and straight forward. At that point I think it was more of a final confirmation on whether or not my social skills would be a good match. My interview might have been different if I didn't have much experience in the field.

Interview Questions

• What is my experience with writing official documents and agreements?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona.

Interview

Tenure track faculty positions require a Ph.D. The interview process for all faculty (regardless of university) is a long process. Allocated positions are selected the year before the search. The search is a manual process requiring letter of application, full vitae, reference letters, and official transcript. Candidates are selected by a faculty committee that prescreens for complete files, fit with program, and multiple interviews.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about teaching complex/technical subjects for students that are anxious about dealing with these issues?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, you can negotiate for a slightly higher salary. It is better to negotiate for equipment or release-time of the first year than a salary increase.

Alternate Media Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process, mainly concerned with why I wanted to work at the disability center. Interview took less than 40 minutes found out on the spot that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to work with people with disabilities? If so what happened?   Answer Question

LO Service Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at CAL Poly Pomona (Pomona, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I just walked in to Los Olivos after applying online and handed them my schedule and resume. They then asked if I wanted to work certain hours and briefly described what they would have me do.