CDM Smith GIS Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CDM Smith GIS Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at CDM Smith

1.5

GIS Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CDM Smith in February 2014.

Interview

I contacted a senior level principal at the company and provided my resume with a summary of my accomplishments by email. The principal passed the information to the HR manager at their headquarters (Boston), which in return, contacted me via telephone call message a few days after. We spoke for about 30 minutes about my prior work, employee referral, relevant skill set, job description, relocation, etc. and mostly about my resume. It was brief and more relaxed chatting about the past work. A few days after, I was contacted by an assistant HR coordinator via email which announced the secure group telephone interview (date, time, and specific names & titles of the group interview).

The actual group telephone interview (lasted just over 1 hour in duration) was poorly executed by CDM Smith, as the main person conducting the interview was clearly amateur (young, probably in 20s, somewhat bloated stature, trying to speak as if he has power in a tough manner). The phone was clicking off and on and (1) of the (3) CDM Smith employees lost connection and returned right at the end of the interview. Besides the young "team lead", there were two older members from different groups/departments who seemed to be there to provide guidance to this young "leader". It felt like I was talking to some young kid who needed to be held up by older members and taught how to have an ethical interview (very disappointing). I remember even a point of silence by the young man, as the other employee (from a different department) never asked questions. It was like there was a performance evaluation being conducted on the young team lead, and there was no interest in me.

When the phone call was finally over, the employee that lost connection reappeared and spoke to me, with what appeared to be a one-on-one talk (I didn't believe that). The gentleman thanked me for the impressive interview and my great, detailed answers. They gave me an offer in the mail, but I had to dismiss this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Just basic questions about my past work and nothing that needed brainpower by the CDM Smith employees. It seemed more about training the amateur "team lead", rather than learning what value I can bring to their group, department, and company. Very disappointing   Answer Question

The "team lead" sounded younger than me, not mature enough to lead, and it seemed like his first time interviewing a person. Two other senior managers needed to "hold him up", practice with him, and teach him how to properly interview.

If he needs guidance in work like managing an ethical interview, then I'm sure his management style is at an amateur level, which is exactly the person I don't want to follow (and learn nothing from over time).

Other Interview Reviews for CDM Smith

GIS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CDM Smith (Dallas, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I was called by a national recruiter to set up a phone interview with a local team leader in the office I had applied for. I was then called by a local team leader and had the initial phone interview. Everything went well and then I was called back by the recruiter to schedule an in-office interview. I met with the office coordinator who gave me an initial overview of the position and then an overview of benefits. Then I met with the local team (3 on 1) and then met with who would be my reporting manager (1 on 1). It was all very laid back and there weren't really any technical questions. From my resume they knew that I was capable of the job, I think the in-person interview was more to see if I would fit in with the team.

Interview Questions

• What my day to day responsibilities were in my current position.   Answer Question