CERN Technical Student Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2018

2.2

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN in January 2009.

Interview

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CERN

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN in November 2011.

Interview

Normally there is no interview for such positions, only a selection committee.
    But sometimes there is a phone or skype interview.

Technical Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in January 2013.

Interview

The application was a bit complicated. I had to write a cover letter and answer several other questions. The problem is that you are not applying for a specific position, but just for a programme in general, which means you shaould write all the relevant skills you have. The drawback is you might get a position that is not your favourite one, but hey, that CERN and you just don't say no.

Interview Questions

• I got the description of the section and the project and I was asked if I agree to take it.   1 Answer

Technical Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rome (Italy)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Rome (Italy)) in June 2012.

Interview

The interview lasted about 30 min, it was via Skype and the various questions were on my past programming and work experiences and on the technical aspects of the possible projects on which i'll could work.

Interview Questions

• Various questions on my past programming and work experiences   1 Answer

Technical Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CERN (Porto, Oporto (Portugal)) in June 2014.

Interview

I Applied online then potential supervisors will ask for a phone interview, asking different questions, technical and non technical, and also they will present themselves and the project they have for you if selected

Interview Questions

• How would you assert that a server with your program is running ok ?   1 Answer

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at CERN in July 2012.

Interview

There was almost no process. I have applied for a job via online application web and besides resume, needed to justify why I want to work for the organization. After a month or so I got a phone call which was in fact only a request for confirmation of my starting date, which I did and next time I spoke with my supervisor was already at place on the first day.

Interview Questions

• Do you confirn the starting date you mentioned in the application form?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

There is no interview, just a lengthy application. I only had a phone call from my supervisor who told me the project that I would do and if I would be interested in it.

Technical Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a nice and smooth interview process. They want to know if you are capable to do some intern tasks to help in secondary tasks of the project. They will describe you the project and they will give you a notion of your work there.

Interview Questions

• They ask you if you like the description of the project and if you want the position.   1 Answer

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

After 3 months, I was contacted by a few different teams. We scheduled a convinient time for a Skype call. Every team had different approach to interview candidates. I applied for a position of the software developer. One interview was based on technical questions about a programming language and design patterns. Another one, invovled also a coding task online with time constraints. During each interview I was asked about my previous work experience and interests. Avarage time about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Live coding - two different tasks that took me about 1,5 hour.   1 Answer

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at CERN in February 2016.

Interview

I was not the first choice; I got an e-mail (two months after applying) in which it was stated:
    "On this occasion, no positive decision was taken in your case. However, your name has been put on the list of reserve candidates and your application may be reconsidered if a suitable vacancy arises (please note there is no ranking on the reserve list).
    For information, in case you do not hear from us by mid-February, you can consider your application as unsuccessful for this Committee."
    That was in December. I was sure it was just a nice way to say that I am not accepted but then: I actually got the call in mid-February! It was by a person from CERN's HR asking me am I still interested, and if I am my future supervisor will be informed and he will contact me. I was, of course. So I got an e-mail from him, with short description of what his group does, and he asked me if we can speak by phone on that and that date, in a certain time frame. So we did.
    He was great on the phone, my initial fright quickly dispersed and after all the questions and answers (from both of our sides), at the very end of the conversation, we even laughed. It was a very pleasant experience for me.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were connected to the information I provided in the CV. The position was related to the CAD so we just casually talked about my experience. I really like working in CAD programmes, so I guess enthusiasm was felt in my voice. There were no "exam-type" questions. I believe you just have to be able to handle the vocabulary regarding the topics you yourself enlisted in your own CV's experience part.
      And I was asking questions too, regarding the project, design and my future role.   Answer Question