CIA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CIA Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2017

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Intelligence Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIA.

Interview

Applied online. ONE YEAR later I was invited to complete an IQ test online, followed by a behavioral questionnaire. About a month later I was invited to interview in person. Prior to the panel interview, I received a group briefing on the agency and their benefits. Interviewed before a panel of three individuals who showed absolutely no human emotions during the entire session. I already held a TS/SCI clearance at the time of my interview, but I received no offer and no other correspondence after completing the interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions about technical projects that I was involved with in the past.   Answer Question

Directorate of Analysis Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIA.

Interview

First submitted my application online, then received an email back a couple weeks later asking to submit additional materials and complete online testing (case study, behavioral questions, logic test). About 2 months later they emailed me to request a phone interview. Interviewed with a current analyst, who said that I should hear back, either way, within a month. Mainly fit questions. Was rejected about a week later.

Interview Questions

• What was one barrier you've faced, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIA (Arlington, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

Let me just say from the outset, that this review is no doubt tinged by the fact that I am disappointed that I did not get an offer. That being said, I was interviewed by another agency that was my first choice and I would give them a very positive review despite the fact that I was not given an offer. Take my review for what it's worth.

I applied about a year before I got my final rejection letter. I did not expect to get a response, but after three months, I was sent a translation test, given that I had originally applied to be a linguist (I also applied to be an analyst). I turned it in, again not expecting to hear anything, but after another four months, I got a message in the mail directing me to an online test and a questionnaire. I did both and waited. I was told that if I did not hear back in 45 days that that meant that my application was no longer being considered. 45 days passed and I assumed that I was disqualified and forgot about my application. After about another 45 days, I all of a sudden got a call telling me that they wanted to set up a phone interview. I consented and they called me back the next day.

The interview went very poorly. One of the first questions they asked me is if I had ever been in a high-pressure situation and I stumbled. Because I applied for a desk job, I assumed that they were asking about meeting deadlines, so I gave some BS response about a time I had to work on a tight deadline. The interviewer interrupted me and basically told me that I gave a bad answer (and she was correct), although she did it politely. I can hardly remember any of the other questions because I was so tripped up by this that it is all that I remember. It was an incredibly odd question to ask a 20-something single guy straight out of college with little real experience in the workplace. When I got to the end of the interview, I was informed that I was being interviewed for a completely different position (one that involved high-pressure situations) than the one that I had applied to. They had not even given me a hint that this would happen and I had instead been given the impression that I was going to be interviewed for a low-pressure desk job. This and the fact that they called me a month and a half after I had assumed that I was no longer being considered left me with little room to prepare for a better interview. No wonder I stumbled so badly.

This might not seem like much, but at one point, they even sent a letter to my previous address that I had moved out of after telling them on two occasions that I had moved. The current tenants there were kind enough to let me know that I had received a letter so I was able to respond in time.

Anyway, I felt like the entire process was completely bungled and I have to be honest and say that I was left with the impression of bureaucratic incompetence. The only thing I have left to say is that I welcome our new Russian overlords.

Interview Questions

• Describe a high-pressure situation in the workplace that you have gone through.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CIA.

Interview

I applied online. A couple weeks later I received an email to take an assessment test and would be contacted again if I made it to the next step.

Interview Questions

• Several logic questions were asked.   1 Answer

Operations Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC).

Interview

First an online application that must be completed within a few days once started. Then an invitation to take an online intelligence test and personality test, as well as write hand-written responses to several questions. Then a skype interview. Eventually they call you to D.C.. However, I did not get to the in person interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why the Agency?
      What experience do you have that is relevant?
      What are your career goals?
      What would you do if you did not start working here?
      What is your greatest skill?   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIA (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Two days later, I got a call from a Private Number describing the application process. I then received an email asking me submit my college transcript. I got a call one day before the interview telling me the time and date of the interview. The interview lasted 1 hour. They asked very pointed questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to get a team member to get back on schedule for a project.   Answer Question

Cyber Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

First lengthy online application and IQ test where they ask math word problems and logic puzzles. Then months of silence. Then suddenly an email telling me I had 24 hours to respond to the invite to DC else you lose the invite. Then at the interview center, they give a slide show to everyone and told us we were special. Very causal and friendly. Then I was interviewed by 2 ladies who were very grumpy and unhappy to see me. They reviewed facts that were wrong on my application. My fault. Then human behavior questions and were very suspicious of my answers and took everything the wrong way. For example I go to night school and took courses not in IT and they hated that. No smiles, no reactions. Only one easy technical question and I was sent home. The interviewers would be the people you work with and they looked very unfriendly and unhappy. I could tell the job environment was very stressful and really for 22 year old anti-social brats who spend nights feverishly on the computer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIA in August 2016.

Interview

phone interview after online personality quiz and mock case. 2 women conducted the interview and went through several standard/general interview questions about me. The interview lasted for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance where you worked in a team and had to adapt.   Answer Question

Computer Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at CIA in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Process took around 6 months. Few weeks after submitting my application I got an email asking me four questions (name, major...etc) Then few weeks later they sent me another email asking me to do a timed IQ-like test. and another 200~ questions behavioral test that took around 20 minutes to complete. After that they set up an on-site interview in the DC area which I asked them to reschedule to a different date for personal reasons. They flew me in the day before the interview. Everyone was nice to me and overall, I had a positive experience (Although it did feel like one of the interviewers seemed to dislike me)
    The interview was completely behavioral and no technical questions were asked.
    Besides the fact that I kind of messed up on the interview, I think my dual citizenship/Background had a major part in their decision.
    As for the interview questions,
    forgive me, I don't fully remember them but here goes:

Interview Questions

• A constructive piece of criticism you got from someone and how you received it   Answer Question
    • How you soothed out differences with a difficult person you worked with   Answer Question
    • A misconception that people may have about you   Answer Question
    • How would you be able put your skills to use?
      What skills would you bring in to their workplace   Answer Question
    • What is your ideal job?
      Have you ever influenced someone to do something (positive)? How/What   Answer Question

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at CIA in October 2015.

Interview

A couple months after I submitted my application, I received an email asking me to do online testing and fill out a personal questionnaire (hobbies, the college classes you like most and least, etc.). The online testing was pretty challenging; there was an IQ test and writing prompt. A month or two later, I was asked to fly over to DC for an in-person interview. The atmosphere was very casual while waiting for the interview with a group of 15 or so, however the actual interview was in a very small room at a small table with 3 people.

Interview Questions

• Name a research project that you have completed, and the role that you took.   3 Answers