CIA Operations Officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CIA Operations Officer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC).

Interview

First an online application that must be completed within a few days once started. Then an invitation to take an online intelligence test and personality test, as well as write hand-written responses to several questions. Then a skype interview. Eventually they call you to D.C.. However, I did not get to the in person interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why the Agency?
    What experience do you have that is relevant?
    What are your career goals?
    What would you do if you did not start working here?
    What is your greatest skill?
    1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CIA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was for the Operations Officer position intended for overseas deployment.

Only participated in the first initial telephone interview. Applied for professional experienced Operations Officer, different from entry level you can find apply online. This can only be applied thru via sending mail.

Overall interview was very basic and included describing years overseas and details of the experience. Also required detailing of network specifically family members and their nationalities, where they live, etc. I did not fit the CIA criteria for this therefore did not proceed from here.

Interview Questions

• Have you done drugs in the past 12 months?   2 Answers
    • Valid drivers license?   1 Answer
    • Please describe your immediate family and their locations and country of citizenship   1 Answer
    • What language abilities do you have?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC) in August 2010.

Interview

First step consisted of an online application for one or more positions. I was told later on that there is a hierarchy among the various directorates as to which gets first crack at the candidates available with Operations being first on that list.

About a month later I was contacted and asked to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted around 30 min and consisted of some basic personal questions and a few general knowledge items regarding the agency and its mission.

Several weeks later I received a packet asking for more information. The response included several personal / motivation for applying questions and an essay about a current international issue. In addition to the written material, I had to take an online personality assessment and IQ test.

About a month after that I was contacted by phone (a negative response comes in the form of a letter) and invited to an information session in the Northern VA area and asked to set up an appointment for the first 1:1 interview. The information session was with a large group of people, lasted around 5 hours, and covered all the basics about positions within the Operations Directorate and general details about life undercover.

The interview is scheduled within a week of the information session and was conducted at an off-site agency building. The interview was conducted by a retired Operations Officer and consisted of basic interview type questions (resume review, motivations, strengths, weaknesses, life choices, etc...) In addition I was asked to discuss another current foreign affair (different from the previous essay) and also participated in several role playing exercises based on typical duties of an officer.

I choose not to pursue the position after that point, but from what I learned the next step (1-2 months later) consisted of a three day round of a 2nd 1:1 interview (similar to the first), another aptitude test, and psychological evaluation. Upon successful completion of that, candidates receive a conditional offer of employment. From there you must pass medical and background checks. Overall the process from application to start date can take up to or more than a year.

General Thoughts: The process requires a long time to complete. An understanding of the concept of cover is important. Checking out some of the suggested reading material (provided early on) is a good idea. Overall a career in intelligence is probably less interesting that you would have thought (at least that was the case for myself).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you've lied.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you manipulated another person to get something you wanted.   1 Answer