CIBC World Markets Equity Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CIBC World Markets Equity Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2016

Equity Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIBC World Markets.

Interview

I applied online and was called for an interview. The first one was with the HR executive. She was one of the most condescending people I ever met. She was berating right from the first sentence she said when I walked in to the room. Needless to say the rest of the interview was very uncomfortable. Typically, at big banks the recruiters talk well about the bank and the growth opportunities that Bank has to offer to attract the top talent. She did the complete opposite. Half way through the interview, I was pretty sure I didn't want that job. The very definition of Human Resources is to facilitate a smooth entry and exit processes in a job. But this individual talked as if she was a superior individual and others were second class citizens. I was surprised to find these kind of people in the executive positions at a top bank. I wonder if this culture spills in to other groups of the bank as well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CIBC World Markets

Associate, Equity Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIBC World Markets (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I was contacted by head of HR/office administrator for equity research to come into the office for an interview the next morning with her. Interview was intense and uncomfortable and randomly conducted. Asked me to give her an introduction pitching myself to her. Asked many questions about my CV, asked behavioral questions such as why I thought I was a fit for the job, what makes me the best candidate better than the others in one sentence, Asked me if I invested in the markets. Asked me what stock I like and why.

Got emailed that night to come back to the office to interview with the Analyst. Interview was way less intense compared to the one with HR. He spoke about the role and what his goals are and what he expects from his team and associates. (basically 80 hour work weeks, 90-100 for two weeks during earnings, work every Saturday, doing all the things he doesn't like to do) He asked me to walk him through my CV explaining how it makes me a fit for the role in 3 minutes (which is impossible). Why was I interested in the sector? Where do I see myself in 3 years/5 years. (Tip, do not say as an analyst. You're basically saying you want his job) Then asked me to pitch him a stock. This time you need to be much more prepared than pitching to an HR person who does not know anything. He was interested on my valuation methods and assumptions and we had a discussion on how I priced in expected growth based on capex projects the company expected plus where I though the market was going and why.

Next stage is an Excel test and if I move on one last interview with an analyst from another sector and a couple of associates basically to give the analysts you will work for alternate opinions about you as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult is to pitch a stock, because you are pitching to a professional. I suggest choosing a name in the sector even though they will know the most about it because it shows interest and that you are not trying to dodge hard questions.   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CIBC World Markets (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview consisted of an HR, writing test, panel and 1:1 interviews. The whole process took one week, and I was presented with an offer by the end of the week. The interviewers were looking for fit, and to assess the candidate's abilities and interest in capital markets. I would recommend that you do your homework and know some of the "star" analysts that work at CIBC, to show that you are serious about this position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation. At this level, it's a standard contract.