CME Group Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

A 2-part phone interview. One HR based call followed by situational questions and experience review. 30-minute Programming quiz to be taken in a choice of language. Not too hard in Python.

Interview Questions

• Basic iteration through a nested list (python)   1 Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter from the company and had a 15 minute talk about the position. We scheduled a phone interview with a Software developer which consisted of coding fundamentals questions and a 30 minute live coding challenge. After that interview, I was invited to interview with the company in Chicago. The on-site interview consisted of a coding question, lunch with 2 developers, a tour of the building, and another coding question. Overall, was a good experience, the developers were interesting to talk to, but I did not have enough experience as a non-cs major to qualify for the job.

Interview Questions

• Difference between Arrays and Linked Lists?
      What is Polymorphism?
      What is a HashMap?
      What is Serialization?
      What is Multi-Threading?
      And 3 coding questions.
      Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Met at campus career fair. Nice folks. Invited that evening to on-campus interview. Difficult technical question for those not well-versed in basic data structures, but went well for me. Later invited to Chicago location for 4 interviews (two were informal, two were technical) and a tour of their Global Command Center. Seemed like genuine people.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the size of a loop in a Linked List?   1 Answer
    • How does the Java compiler work?   1 Answer
    • How would you make this process faster, given that a mission critical component of it is taking too long to process (I was later told that the process was often repetitive and that the results were almost always the same).   1 Answer
    • What is the runtime of <Insert data structure here> when it wants to <insert process here>?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

The overall process was fine but for the onsite interview I arrived at the hotel and was asked to pay for the hotel through my own credit card because the recruiter was having issues booking a proper hotel. I have been waiting for my reimbursement for almost 5 months now. The HR department has showed a great deal of unprofessionalism in this regard.

Clearing House Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by Two On-Site Interviews. The first interview was mostly focused on why I wanted to work there with some behavioral questions. The second interview was heavily focused on technical questions (options and futures). I believe this was mostly because I stated that I had taken classes generally about derivatives. The interviewers were extremely nice and not intimidating in any way. Very comfortable interview overall and very smooth process.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about this company? How do you price an option? What is time decay? What are the greek gods? What is Implied volatility? Why do you want to work here? What are margin accounts? How are your excel skills? Can you work with databases? Tell me about yourself/walk me through your resume?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

HR phone interview was first, followed by three more interviews 45 minutes each. Interviews were with senior directors and existing investigators. There weren't many technical questions, mostly questions about how you might approach certain investigative situations. There were questions about technical skills, Excel skills and data analysis ability.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with pivot tables?   1 Answer

CME Number Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Contacted by CME directly. Process was simple, a quick call after which they brought me in for an in-person interview. Both stages were fine, pretty straightforward.
    However, despite the in-person interview and a promise to hear back after a week, nobody ever bothered to contact me again! After reaching out to them 4 more times to see whether I was still in the running, I gave up. Nothing, not even a quick note that I was out or anything. Apparently CME has 0 manners (or at least their HR), or incredibly poor internal communication. Frankly, if they were to contact me again I would tell them to shove it, since I wouldn't even want to work for a company that treats people like that.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

Overall the process was straight forward, professional and prompt, except for the final interview.
    It started with an HR phone screen, then the hiring manager phone screen.
    then meeting the hiring manager. Ultimately coming back for an, HR, Group and Senior Manager Review. I feel that there are political undertones in the company, based on the process that many prevent, individuals from being hired.

Interview Questions

• The general questions about honesty, individual work, reporting and work ethic are the opening to moving forward.
      However in the final interview, the individual was unkind and aggressive. I found the person pulling apart my experience and numbers in my resume. It was done in a threating and corrosive and unprofessional fashion. It was the most unprofessional interview in my career.
      1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CME Group (North Chicago, IL).

Interview

There is a series of interviews. Through phone can be up to 2 times and then at their offices you can be interviewed by whoever is hiring. Once hired, they should give you a call almost immediately. You will definitely know if you were hired or not.

Interview Questions

• Do you meet the criteria that was mentioned on the job post?   Answer Question

Analyst, Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Scheduled for a 3-person interview set via an HR email. Showed up 15 mins early to the interview, and was taken back 10 minutes late. Interview order in email read approximately: Head Mgr, Medium mgr, Analyst. Was actually taken back by the Analyst first, who was friendly but seemed groggy and unprepared for the interview (no formal question set). Head Manager came down second, spent 10 minutes in our interview (asking basic behavioral interview questions) and rushed out to a meeting he was late for. The Medium Mgr was sick that day so I was impromptu interviewed by another analyst- who was also friendly.

Overall, negative experience. Casual dress/demeanor, lack of actually reading my resume (mgr actually admitted that our interview was first time he had seen it) and late/altered order interviews all seemed unprofessional.

Turned down a second round set of interviews due to experience.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral, one or two technical (bull-call spread definition, price for options based on time). General discussion about risk mgmt in derivatives (non-linear exposures etc…)   Answer Question