CME Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 13, 2017

2.8

Big Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online in January 2017 and received a phone call from one of the employees who wanted to do a quick resume review. I received the call on March 17th and went over my resume and some skills. Then I got a call from HR a few weeks later for an in-person interview at their Chicago office on 31st March. The interview was handled smoothly, I interviewed with the Innovation Lab group which consisted of SQL questions and some computation/algorithmic questions along with deep reviews of my projects, academic and professional. I got the offer on April 4th. Quick turnaround and the recruiter was super sweet.

Interview Questions

• SQL query debugging, fairly easy if you know joins, aggregate functions etc   Answer Question
    • Probability based questions - the expectation of winning a game given a coin with bias, heads is win, tails is loss. Reward is $10 for win and $0 for loss, with a $1 fee to play the game   Answer Question
    • Algorithmic/time complexity - Given two arbitrarily large lists (L1 and L2) of integers, +ve and -ve, and a random integer k, write an algorithm to find pairs (a,b) such that a+b=k for all a in L1, b in L2   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CME Group.

Interview

The interview process wasn't that bad. I got an interview immediately after talking to them at my university's career fair. The guy was pretty intimidating, but that may have been because it was my first interview. If you get an interview, make sure to keep talking about your thought process and don't freeze up - that's where I made my mistake.

Software Engineering Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CME Group in February 2017.

Interview

It was very straight-forward. There was a phone interview where we went over the résumé and focused on the projects I have done. Then it was a technical interview where I had 30 minutes to tackle a coding problem. After that there is an onsite interview at their headquarters.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CME Group in February 2017.

Interview

Had online coding interview. The phone connection dropped in the middle and the interviewer was not sure if the coderpad was working properly. Overall it was a bit of a messy interview

Interview Questions

• data structure question - didn't specify time limit but i ended up going for an hour   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CME Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Simple phone screening for 15 minutes. Mostly discussed the company and what the job experience would be like. Very simple and easy. Got a call back with an offer a few weeks later.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

A 2-part phone interview. One HR based call followed by situational questions and experience review. 30-minute Programming quiz to be taken in a choice of language. Not too hard in Python.

Interview Questions

• Basic iteration through a nested list (python)   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Met at campus career fair. Nice folks. Invited that evening to on-campus interview. Difficult technical question for those not well-versed in basic data structures, but went well for me. Later invited to Chicago location for 4 interviews (two were informal, two were technical) and a tour of their Global Command Center. Seemed like genuine people.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter from the company and had a 15 minute talk about the position. We scheduled a phone interview with a Software developer which consisted of coding fundamentals questions and a 30 minute live coding challenge. After that interview, I was invited to interview with the company in Chicago. The on-site interview consisted of a coding question, lunch with 2 developers, a tour of the building, and another coding question. Overall, was a good experience, the developers were interesting to talk to, but I did not have enough experience as a non-cs major to qualify for the job.

Interview Questions

• Difference between Arrays and Linked Lists?
      What is Polymorphism?
      What is a HashMap?
      What is Serialization?
      What is Multi-Threading?
      And 3 coding questions.
      Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CME Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview Questions

• How would you find the size of a loop in a Linked List?   1 Answer
    • How does the Java compiler work?   1 Answer
    • How would you make this process faster, given that a mission critical component of it is taking too long to process (I was later told that the process was often repetitive and that the results were almost always the same).   1 Answer
    • What is the runtime of <Insert data structure here> when it wants to <insert process here>?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

The overall process was fine but for the onsite interview I arrived at the hotel and was asked to pay for the hotel through my own credit card because the recruiter was having issues booking a proper hotel. I have been waiting for my reimbursement for almost 5 months now. The HR department has showed a great deal of unprofessionalism in this regard.