CPP Investment Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CPP Investment Board Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

2.8

Associate Interview

Interview

Screening call from HR followed by two rounds. First round had two interviews - one was with HR and the other one was a case interview. Second round had one fit interview. Case interview included 3-4 questions related to the team. Balance sheet data was provided.

Interview Questions

• What are three qualities that set you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through my graduate school's career website and had two interviews with senior portfolio managers in the External Portfolio Management group. Both were positive and not too technical. However, in the last interview there arose an issue regarding visa: as I was not a UK national and did not have a UK working visa, they said they could not sponsor one for a non-Canadian. After that, I was informed that my application had been declined (about a week or two after that interview).

Interview Questions

• Q: Please walk me through your résumé and explain how your past experience could be useful for the work that we are doing here.   1 Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

The interview process had two rounds. First round consisted of two 30-minute interviews (mix of behavioral and technical) and the second round consisted of four 45-minute interviews: behavioral, two technical and case. In every interview, the last ~10 minute were allocated to ask questions so make sure you have them prepared (PE guides give a good range of questions you can ask).

On the behavioral side, the questions seemed straightforward, with the interviewer stressing to use the word “I” rather than “we” to showcase your individual contributions. Questions included:
    Tell me about a time when you had to implement a new procedure or processes.
    Tell me about a time when you worked in a team to complete a goal.
    Tell me about a time when you mediated a conflict.
    Tell me about a time when you performed over and beyond what was required.

On the technical side, first round interviews required you to value either a restaurant or a stand-alone branch of a popular coffee chain in a popular location. You had to estimate the P&L, then state how much you would pay for this, how much debt would you put on the company and then what would be your IRR. I would recommend being aware of both EBITDA / Net income % in key industries as well as multiples paid to answer these types of questions well.

In addition, first round asked basic PE questions: why PE companies use EV / EBITDA, why some companies with the same EBITDA and Revenues in the same industry trade at different multiples.

Second round, was much harder and the interviewers appeared less friendly and significantly less enthusiastic about interviewing you. Questions included:
    Why investing?
    What do you do in your free time that showcases your interest in PE?
    What would you recommend we invest in?
    Tell me about [name of a nascent industry / product]. What do you think about it?

The case was sent via e-mail and you had 48 hours to create a presentation and the model. The times when you were sent the case were not flexible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to implement a new procedure or processes.
      Tell me about a time when you worked in a team to complete a goal.
      Tell me about a time when you mediated a conflict.
      Tell me about a time when you performed over and beyond what was required.
      Why investing?
      What do you do in your free time that showcases your interest in PE?
      What would you recommend we invest in?
      Imagine we got an offer from a banker to invest in a specialty retailer. What data would you look at? What questions would you ask your consultant / banker on the deal?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board.

Interview

I Applied online after publication of job opportunity on my university site. At the third appointement they managed to call me at the time they set. The interviewer was however very kind. The questions were very standard, basically on motivations and on the activity of their company. The overall recruiting process was very fast that is positive after all.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Quite professional and organized. Received responses generally within two weeks.
    I would advise candidates to be prepared for questions on their resume and background. Moreover, be up to date with the markets and research the company and its values going into the interview. The standard behavioral questions are also asked, so have specific anecdotes ready for those.

Finance and Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board.

Interview

All behavioral questions, which need some thoughts.
    Walk me through your resumes.
    What do you see yourselves in 5 years?
    Which area in finance interest you?
    Tell me a time you apply a new concept.
    Tell me a time you analyze lots of data to make a decision
    Tell me a time you work in teams

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

It has 3 rounds including a phone interview, an in-person interview, and more in-person interviews with many people in the team. The first two rounds are roughly an hour, and the last was 6 hours. Most are technical questions and questions related to resume and previous experience. People are very nice and gentle, and the whole process was very efficient.

Interview Questions

• In Modern Portfolio Theory, how to write down the optimization problem?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Overall easy interview. Two interviews one with a Manager + two of his cronies, one with the director. Manager interview was mostly technical. One of the cronies drilled me in Java questions, and they asked me about "Big Data" problems that are non existent in the actual role.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Had one interview on phone with the HR. Afterwards, I was invited for an interview with the associate and manager. Next day, I was given the offer. It was a short interview process.

Senior Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CPP Investment Board (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewers were nice. Applied online on their website. Met them at a hackathon. Took 1 week to process and got 1 Skype interview with behavioural and technical questions. waited a few days and was arranged the final interview with 3 interviews in a row including Behavioural, Technical and group case. Had a networking social before the day of the interview, got to meet the HRs, developers at CPP, they are all really chill and nice. Interview process was relaxing, case was a bit intense.