Cabinet Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cabinet Office Interview Questions

Updated Feb 12, 2018

3.2

Freelancer Interview

Interview

I submitted a basic CV and went through one interview.

Interview Questions

• No really difficult questions. It was mainly focused on my experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was fixed.

Security Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process comprised of an online application form with online testing of Verbal Reasoning skills. There were 3 competency questions which were assessed on the application form which were 250 word statements against the three competencies they were performing the assessment against. The interview itself was a 45-50 minute interview which was very structured and focussed on competency based questions and strengths based questions. There was also a 5 minute presentation which is prepared in advance. There was little deviation from the questions on the form which were almost read out verbatim which gave the interview a very stilted and awkward feeling. This was done for fairness to ensure all candidates are asked the same questions for evaluation purposes but it made it more challenging to evaluate the role and the culture of the organisation as a candidate. Having said that the interview panel were friendly and explained the process clearly. The main complaint I had was that it took over 2 months for the results to be published by which time I had accepted another role. This is a shame as the Civil Service is looking for talent to increase the capability of security in government but in a fast moving market for cybersecurity skills has no doubt missed out on capable candidates due to the length of time to notify of results.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the Government Security Profession?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Placement - Executive Officer Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of Westminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (City of Westminster, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was fair and simple. The application required 4 core competencies, from the civil service competency framework. However it took 3 months before being contacted for interview, I applied in June and later received an email inviting me for interview in mid August. The interview process was excellent, I waited for a while after my scheduled time. I was escorted by a beautiful young HR staff who took me to the room, she was really approachable and spoke with me whilst making my way to the room. I was welcomed by a mix of 3 bright young people, of various backgrounds and genders, which was really exciting.

Interview Questions

• They asked the 4 core competencies in my application. Along with follow up questions, such as reflecting on your answer, what would you do different and why? this was a question that will challenge you. They asked me at the end, to tell them a bit about myself, which was not assessed.   1 Answer

First Line Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Westminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (City of Westminster, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview on may 4th 2017 with Kieth Turnbull really nice guy made me at ease. I think it was supposed to be 3 people interviewing me as when heading to the interview room he asked two people to join but only one showed up. I had no idea what I would be asked, job description did not say nor anything found online so you can imagine how I felt. I assumed it would be in the competency questions asked in job app like previous jobs I had applied to, however this was not the case. Questions were more technical. I wasn't asked for passport documents etc even though message said to bring it. Interview was hard but Keith tried his best to help me which made it easier and didn't feel the pressure as I would if he hadn't. Great guy. There were other questions which were hard but can't remember. No offer yet, awaiting to hear from him.

Interview Questions

• Internet working but webpage doesn't load, how do you resolve this?

What is DNS?

What is VPN?

A client wants Photoshop to be added but he doesn't have it with his current package, what steps do you need to take to get the client this application? (5points they look for)

Angry client on the phone to you and he was told it would be fixed by certain time but it wasn't, what do you say to the client?

Network down, what do you need to check?

You are giving help remotely to the client by controlling his PC. But for reasons it is not connecting. What steps would you take to get to the root of the problem?

Are you okay to send equipment to another office nearby outside this building?   Answer Question

Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed interview, two interviewers who made me feel very at ease and comfortable. Plenty of explanation at the beginning as to what the process would be, clear instructions as to what was expected of me in my answers and what they would be looking for. The questions were all competency based and revolved around the responses I'd given in my application. Also asked why I wanted the role and the position and what my background was (their system is such that they can't see your CV or employment details - just your name).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you have shown strategic vision.   1 Answer

Policy Advisor Interview

Application

Interview

Competency based, 4 or 5 questions reflecting the application form content. Clear guidance given, only two interviewers (good cop, bad cop), and only one interview in the process.

Online system is good and fairly effective for applying and following the communications, but the application process to the Cabinet Office is agonisingly slow - too slow in fact. The whole process took over 2 months, from start to finish. Apologies were given initially for the delay in responding, but a decision some 2 weeks after interview is too slow, and fits the bill of cliched ovely-bureaucratic government work, which is very off-putting.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of, delivering at pace, making effective decision... (and a few more)   Answer Question

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

I completed an application form that followed the standard Civil Service format of demonstrating how you met specified competencies. I was called for an interview a week after the advertised interview date.

I was interviewed by a panel of three people (that ticked the diversity boxes: older white male, young white female, "BAME"). The first question I was asked was about my current job & role - unfortunately I am currently unemployed so this question threw me a bit and also made me feel like less of an individual that the employers wanted to get to know personally and more just part of the automatic machine of recruitment (although this is probably just the reality of recruitment in general!).

The rest of the interview was fine and almost enjoyable: they were competency based questions. I had already run through all the core competencies and made sure I had a good cache of examples to draw on.

They did not ask me about why I was interested in the role, or incorporate the role specifically into the questions which was a shame because I had researched the role and department thoroughly and I did not really have an opportunity to show this. Perhaps I should have been proactive in getting this across. I did try to shoehorn some of this in when they invited questions at the end.

It was over a lot quicker than I anticipated, half and hour at the most.

I requested feedback once I heard I was unsuccessful - it basically stated that I had a good application form and gave good answers but did not give any indication of what I could have improved or why I did not get the job, so I am in the dark about what I could have done better unfortunately. That is why I have given this a "neutral" rating, as I apparently did well but not well enough to get the job and I feel they could have been a bit more straightforward in their feedback in this regard.

Interview Questions

• "Can you give me an example of a time you had to e.g. get an idea across to your manager; prioritise your work and how you did it etc."   Answer Question

Head of Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Very in depth however, sadly they did not know exactly what they wanted. They were very confused as to what approach they needed. I gave them several options that could be devised. The project is very ambitious and needs to be delivered in a very short period and there were no foundations.

Executive Officer for GIG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Filled out an online application form. Using a Civil Service framework I had to outline times I demonstrated 6 different competencies e.g. delivered at pace, delivered value for money etc. It took them a long time to get back to me. I was invited to have an interview at the Cabinet Office, it was a 3 panel interview. Very relaxed, friendly interviewers and atmosphere. The questions were exact replicas of the questions I had answered on the online application, and I was told I could either use the same examples or new ones, it didn't matter. I used the same for most of them but not all. The interview felt like it went really well.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you delivered at pace. Name a time you delivered value for money. Name a time you worked at pace etc   Answer Question

Business Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

No offer of water or any effort to put the interviewee at their ease. I had to ask may I sit down. Very stern approach as if you were in a court of law. Interview was competency based which leave very little room for creativity or opportunity to discuss your CV and personal skills only focused what you would do in certain situations. Way too structured for my liking.

Interview Questions

• Could you give me an example where you managed a difficult member of staff.   1 Answer