Cabinet Office Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 13, 2017

3.2

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Scheme Placement - Executive Officer Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of Westminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (City of Westminster, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was fair and simple. The application required 4 core competencies, from the civil service competency framework. However it took 3 months before being contacted for interview, I applied in June and later received an email inviting me for interview in mid August. The interview process was excellent, I waited for a while after my scheduled time. I was escorted by a beautiful young HR staff who took me to the room, she was really approachable and spoke with me whilst making my way to the room. I was welcomed by a mix of 3 bright young people, of various backgrounds and genders, which was really exciting.

Interview Questions

• They asked the 4 core competencies in my application. Along with follow up questions, such as reflecting on your answer, what would you do different and why? this was a question that will challenge you. They asked me at the end, to tell them a bit about myself, which was not assessed.   1 Answer

First Line Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Westminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (City of Westminster, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview on may 4th 2017 with Kieth Turnbull really nice guy made me at ease. I think it was supposed to be 3 people interviewing me as when heading to the interview room he asked two people to join but only one showed up. I had no idea what I would be asked, job description did not say nor anything found online so you can imagine how I felt. I assumed it would be in the competency questions asked in job app like previous jobs I had applied to, however this was not the case. Questions were more technical. I wasn't asked for passport documents etc even though message said to bring it. Interview was hard but Keith tried his best to help me which made it easier and didn't feel the pressure as I would if he hadn't. Great guy. There were other questions which were hard but can't remember. No offer yet, awaiting to hear from him.

Interview Questions

• Internet working but webpage doesn't load, how do you resolve this?

What is DNS?

What is VPN?

A client wants Photoshop to be added but he doesn't have it with his current package, what steps do you need to take to get the client this application? (5points they look for)

Angry client on the phone to you and he was told it would be fixed by certain time but it wasn't, what do you say to the client?

Network down, what do you need to check?

You are giving help remotely to the client by controlling his PC. But for reasons it is not connecting. What steps would you take to get to the root of the problem?

Are you okay to send equipment to another office nearby outside this building?   Answer Question

Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed interview, two interviewers who made me feel very at ease and comfortable. Plenty of explanation at the beginning as to what the process would be, clear instructions as to what was expected of me in my answers and what they would be looking for. The questions were all competency based and revolved around the responses I'd given in my application. Also asked why I wanted the role and the position and what my background was (their system is such that they can't see your CV or employment details - just your name).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you have shown strategic vision.   1 Answer

Policy Advisor Interview

Application

Interview

Competency based, 4 or 5 questions reflecting the application form content. Clear guidance given, only two interviewers (good cop, bad cop), and only one interview in the process.

Online system is good and fairly effective for applying and following the communications, but the application process to the Cabinet Office is agonisingly slow - too slow in fact. The whole process took over 2 months, from start to finish. Apologies were given initially for the delay in responding, but a decision some 2 weeks after interview is too slow, and fits the bill of cliched ovely-bureaucratic government work, which is very off-putting.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of, delivering at pace, making effective decision... (and a few more)   Answer Question

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

I completed an application form that followed the standard Civil Service format of demonstrating how you met specified competencies. I was called for an interview a week after the advertised interview date.

I was interviewed by a panel of three people (that ticked the diversity boxes: older white male, young white female, "BAME"). The first question I was asked was about my current job & role - unfortunately I am currently unemployed so this question threw me a bit and also made me feel like less of an individual that the employers wanted to get to know personally and more just part of the automatic machine of recruitment (although this is probably just the reality of recruitment in general!).

The rest of the interview was fine and almost enjoyable: they were competency based questions. I had already run through all the core competencies and made sure I had a good cache of examples to draw on.

They did not ask me about why I was interested in the role, or incorporate the role specifically into the questions which was a shame because I had researched the role and department thoroughly and I did not really have an opportunity to show this. Perhaps I should have been proactive in getting this across. I did try to shoehorn some of this in when they invited questions at the end.

It was over a lot quicker than I anticipated, half and hour at the most.

I requested feedback once I heard I was unsuccessful - it basically stated that I had a good application form and gave good answers but did not give any indication of what I could have improved or why I did not get the job, so I am in the dark about what I could have done better unfortunately. That is why I have given this a "neutral" rating, as I apparently did well but not well enough to get the job and I feel they could have been a bit more straightforward in their feedback in this regard.

Interview Questions

• "Can you give me an example of a time you had to e.g. get an idea across to your manager; prioritise your work and how you did it etc."   Answer Question

Head of Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Very in depth however, sadly they did not know exactly what they wanted. They were very confused as to what approach they needed. I gave them several options that could be devised. The project is very ambitious and needs to be delivered in a very short period and there were no foundations.

Executive Officer for GIG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Filled out an online application form. Using a Civil Service framework I had to outline times I demonstrated 6 different competencies e.g. delivered at pace, delivered value for money etc. It took them a long time to get back to me. I was invited to have an interview at the Cabinet Office, it was a 3 panel interview. Very relaxed, friendly interviewers and atmosphere. The questions were exact replicas of the questions I had answered on the online application, and I was told I could either use the same examples or new ones, it didn't matter. I used the same for most of them but not all. The interview felt like it went really well.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you delivered at pace. Name a time you delivered value for money. Name a time you worked at pace etc   Answer Question

Business Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

No offer of water or any effort to put the interviewee at their ease. I had to ask may I sit down. Very stern approach as if you were in a court of law. Interview was competency based which leave very little room for creativity or opportunity to discuss your CV and personal skills only focused what you would do in certain situations. Way too structured for my liking.

Interview Questions

• Could you give me an example where you managed a difficult member of staff.   1 Answer

Summer Diversity Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cabinet Office in February 2015.

Interview

Online application form with some general questions such as examples of leadership and why you want to work for the civil service. Numerical and Verbal tests. Then a telephone interview, with each question clearly tying in with the civil service competencies. The interview lasted about 35 minutes and there were no follow-up questions (although they wanted as much detail as possible about your examples)

Interview Questions

• "Give one example of when you have showed the ability to lead?"   Answer Question

Band B2 Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

It is long.

You have to complete a competency based application where the structure of how you say something is very important along with what you actually say. When applications are being handled they are generally in job lots so to help get through the application form to an interview read the guidance and structure your answers.

For the interview, again you have competency based questions. The question will be about a scenario but wanting a particular competency, you need to structure you answer as per the guidance. That's not to say of you don't structure the answer highlight the competencies needed you'll be sunk but it makes it easier for the people interviewing you to grade you against their criteria.

My advice is rehearse the interview with a friend asking them to check you answer question highlighting the competencies in your example.

The interviews tend to be in large recruitment rounds so anything you make easier for your interviewers help.

The interview will be 3-4 people who are officials in the department.

Interview Questions

• We are now asking for competency X, please tell us a scenario when you have done Y demonstrating X   1 Answer

Negotiation

Long.

There is poor communication between the recruitment team and the personnel team in Cabinet Office. Everyone is working on several different cases so will only deal with you when you are in their task list and to be worked on. So you will have long periods of not hearing anything.

Negotiations wise for salary it is very limited what they can offer and only If you have evidence of a previous salary will they offer you a higher salary than the base level salary for the band.

I was successful in the end but there was uncertainty and it took a while.
    The work is interesting and well worth it. But be prepared for for long periods of not hearing much.