Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

304 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Phone interview was scheduled through Email, asked basic Verilog question. Then I was called for an onsite. Received Offer after 2 days.
    Important topics:
    Writing Synthesizable Code
    Understanding ASIC flow.
    Assertions.
    How do to debug a design.

Program Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very efficient and quick. Cadence contacted be shortly after I submitted my application to schedule a phone screening, and then shortly after that to schedule an on-site interview. The entire process of interviewing and waiting for them to contact me took about two weeks from when I submitted my application, which was a good length of time.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about what was on my resume and my work ethic   Answer Question

Program Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job and was contacted a month later. When I was contacted, I was asked to come in for an interview with a 2 day notice. I made arrangements and had an interview with my manager and intern program manager.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too surprising. It's an entry level internship, so the questions aren't going to be terribly hard.   Answer Question

EDA Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Contacted by HR to schedule an interview with the manager. I applied online and got the response in 15 days. The questions were staright forward and i answered them well, even the manager appreciated my answers. But they sent me a reject mail after making me wait for 3 weeks and the HR did not even reply for my follow up email. Overall the questions were easy but the manager and the HR seems irresponsible.

Interview Questions

• Alogorithms and data structures questions regarding linked list, array etc. questions in C++ concepts mostly in pointers.   Answer Question

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I had a 1 hour onsite panel interview with 3 team members: IT Group Director, IT Architect, and Vice President of IT. Everybody was friendly and didn't ask tricky questions. I was asked about my prior experience mostly.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

2 phone interviews - One purely technical with 3 members and one was a discussion with the Manager. Technical interview was based on Physical design including explaining the PD flow, about clock trees and techniques adopted to avoid SI and also about technology nodes.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got an email from the HR and the hiring manager. A few days later, the hiring manager sent me an email and scheduled a phone interview with me. Another few days later, a phone interviewed was done. I was noticed that I got the offer around 4 days later.

WFO Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

I received a call from the recruiter regarding the position availability. Later hiring manager contacted me to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was done and in 2 days hiring manager emailed me that they could not offer that role to me.

Interview Questions

• It was a technical interview. Hiring manager asked me about static timing analysis like what is setup time, hold time? What are those violations? What is clock skew and its causes etc?,   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in June 2017.

Interview

The process took two weeks. I applied online to this role as the job description was very much similar to my academic project. It was a total of 7 rounds where the first 2 rounds were telephonic technical interview (more on my resume and my work). Next was onsite which consisted of 5 back to back technical rounds. It was a nice experience overall as the interviewers were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Interview Questions

• More on Object oriented techniques, Design Patterns, Algorithms & Data Structures.   Answer Question

Lead Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was scheduled through email in April 2017, Manager asked about my resume and projects in the current company. He was very good and diligent in explaining the role and responsibility about the position. It lasted for about half an hour. 3 weeks later, they scheduled an on-site interview. It involved technical interviews by 6 people. The on-site interview lasted for about 5-6 hours. 1 week later, I received the offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my resume and work in depth.   1 Answer
    • Was asked to draw schematics and answered relevant questions.   Answer Question