Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in June 2016.

Interview

Typical technical grill. Atypically hard technical questions. The interviewers had advanced degrees and 20+ years experience in the field. Everyone was very polite. Lunch was brought into the interview room, making the pressure relentless.

Interview Questions

• Find a solution to the convex hull problem.   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Milpitas, CA).

Interview

Interviewed by five people on first visit, one person on second visit and then, on my third round of interviews at company headquarters, my day began with a breakfast interview at 7:00 AM and my last interview ended at dinner at approximately 8:00 PM. During the day, aside from the breakfast and dinner interviews, each interview lasted 30 minutes. I lost count of how many people I met that day. By the time they offered me the job, I had invested so much time interviewing with the company, I just couldn't justify turning it down. Dumb me; by the end of my second week with the company, I discovered that they had either withheld information, misrepresented facts, or lied about five different things. Had I only known....
    21 months later I was gone. Most political company I've ever worked for.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when...."   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

3 phone interviews
    Onsite interview with 6 person
    Very tough interview process
    Grilled properly!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After a call from a recruiter and scheduling a phone interview with the manager I had a whole day interview, including PhD thesis presentation and discussion, following by lunch with one the team members, then 4 to 5 rounds of technical interviews with different team members. Each round 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Questions about stack, queue, sorting, graph, array, search, ...   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indi, Karnataka (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Indi, Karnataka (India)) in April 2017.

Interview

First telephonic call for filtering purpose. Then 3 face-to-face interviews in which every minute detail of your experience will be checked. The final round will involve the division head or the team manager.

Interview Questions

• What challenges would have been faced in hardware (that I never performed).   Answer Question

Computer Vision Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

There were basically two rounds of technical interview and questions were basically based upon my projects , my concepts and also on the projects I was being hired for. I was tested for my conceptual understanding and clarity of concepts in computer vision and system design. It was clearly indicated that job would require lots of novice learning experience and a motivated and faster learning curve would be appreciated.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected question, but there were few tricky and testing one. One was to describe the functionality and usage of LRN normalization layer in AlexNet .   1 Answer

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

4 interviews with different member of team. some of them were highly technical. It was pretty much related to my internship. All the fundamental questions on the work and contributions to the Company.

Interview Questions

• How was your experience as an Intern and what did you do?   1 Answer

IC Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Columbia, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a recommendation followed by an impromptu interview at a career fair. Later went through a phone interview then an in-person technical interview. The interview was very long with technical questions being given by various employees. Interviewers were nice and pleasant to work with.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

Interview

I had applied online for the role in the end of March 2017. In the mid of April 2017, I got a mail from the HR asking to interview for the position. I had my first technical interview with a team member. The interview was quite challenging as the role requires in-depth knowledge of computer architecture and scripting skills. The second interview was a week later, with the manager of the team. This was a mix of both technical and just general discussions about my experience and capabilities. I received a mail asking for a call with the lead recruiter for the team a couple of days later. He extended the internship offer to me.

IC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

I came across a job posting for a junior Design Engineer position online. I applied to it, and got an email a couple weeks later from the Design Engineering Director requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was non-technical and lasted between half an hour to an hour. At the end of the phone interview, the director invited me up to do an on-site interview (in Columbia, MD). The on-site interview was technical and lasted ~5 hours. The next day the director contacted me again and said they the team would be making me an offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked typical interview questions about ADCs, bandgap references, noise, input/output resistances in feedback systems, etc.   1 Answer