Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

Was not offered a position after first interview due to no experience with Cadence tools. Found another job using Cadence tools and after a year I was hired. The interview was with the hiring manager and just one other engineer. Some very tough questions regarding my design experience and knowledge of the tools. They were very professional and the culture seemed like a great fit.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specific questions regarding PCB layout including how to handle differential pairs, constraints, multi-level highly complex PCBs.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

Took intern before full-time job.
    Show your passion and will be working hard.

Interview Questions

• Data structure problems. Good introduction to your past project.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Design/Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

campus, + on site

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

phone interview with a senior manager..was briefed on some of the technologies that CDS is working on. Later was asked some brief tech questions from circuit design, logic design fundamentals

Interview Questions

• why does one use a header and not a footer for power gating   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

Interview process was okay. Was interviewed by 5 people and it was through video conferencing. Main questions were related to system verilog.

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

was never formally interviewed by Cadence. The manager hired me used to work in the same company in my previous job. So we know each other very well. Also, being educated as an electrical engineer, I was very familiar with Cadence's product and line of business. So I took the opportunity to join and moved on to negotiation of salary.

Interview Questions

Interview

HR found the resume from monster can emailed me the job information. scheduled an interview with the manager. Then an easy on-site interview. the whole process is smooth. They really need to fill the position.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

very relaxed conversation with manager. no stress really.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

Applied through a referral process, took about the week

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

I first had a phone interview where they asked me my background, my previous job experience and some projects I was envolved in. Later i had an onsite interview where 4 interviewers asked me more detailed technical questions.