Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2017

Principal Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview was scheduled for one day, back-to-back with 5 people. That included my first and second line managers, one peer test engineer, and two sw/fw engineers. The scheduling was clear, I have received prior email with directions and instructions, and all interviewers were very nice.

Interview Questions

• The questions were related to my area of expertise, programming languages, embedded systems etc. Pretty basic level, no tough questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

I applied on linkedin, was reached out to by a recruiter, then had a phone interviews with the hiring manager and two rounds of interviews with members of the team and directors on campus.

Interview Questions

• Experience working in a team, time when you didn't get along with someone and how it was resolved, revenue contract review terms that would alter revenue   Answer Question

WFO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Tempe, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was direct. They asked about the project which i worked on. They asked me to describe all the steps and determined whether i can understand the working model. The interviewer was focusing much on the skill set required for the job. Cadence is a good environment to work for and i am excited to be a part of it.

Interview Questions

• Real time scenario why you are facing problem with routing ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They provide what is expected of my position, so i didnt negotiate

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

telephone screening followed by an on site interview. perfect arrangements were made regarding my travel and accommodation services. Friendly interviewers but they did not get back to me since they had a hiring freeze at thatpoint

Interview Questions

• questions on my knowledge in cadence virtuoso software, my projects and experiences. Basic transistor design questions, Verilog programming.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in May 2017.

Interview

It was a full-day (9-5) interview, which was scheduled after a phone screening. In the first part of the day, the questions were a mix of algorithmic, coding, and problem-solving questions. However, several interviews that happened after lunch were nearly a complete waste of time. Interviewers were mostly unprepared. The hiring manager was extremely nosy about my personal situation (family, etc). After wasting so much of my time they did not bother to send me a formal rejection e-mail.

Interview Questions

• Questions on algorithmics, database design, and statistics.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems in May 2017.

Interview

I got two phone calls after application. One from my colleague and the other from head of the team. Most questions were about myself and my experience. For example, tell us about yourself, what's your fav tech products. And some questions were about basic industry knowledge such as the difference between hardware and software. People there are super nice and I enjoyed talking with them.

EDA Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

It was a 30-minute phone interview.
    The hiring manager asked very basic interview questions.
    He mainly asked questions based on C++ programming
    Did not need employee referral even though I was applying for entry level position.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Chelmsford, MA).

Interview

Hiring: The time between being contacted for the first time and receiving a final decision regarding an offer/rejection was about one month. During this time were phone, Skype, and in-person interviews.

Interviews: There were three interviews.

The first one was a phone-interview with one of the HR representatives, and also the first time I was contacted by Cadence. They asked general questions such as: "Where did you hear about Cadence?", "Why would you like to work here?", "What sort of work/hobbies have you done that have given you experience that can be used at Cadence".

The second interview was a set of 3 Skype video-interviews with people from the team I would be working with. These were 30-minute back-to-back interviews. The questions here were more technical-oriented, but appropriate for Skype. I.e., nothing that required me to draw or type out code. All answerable verbally.

The third and interview was an in-person interview. I flew out from another state, and Cadence provided all the logistics for getting there (Plane tickets, rental, hotel. They did a fantastic job). This interview lasted from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Lunch was included. I spoke with several different people over the course of this session, and about 3/4ths of questions were technical.
    Because of the highly-visual nature of what Cadence does (EDA), the majority of these questions were about 2D/Computational Geometry and working through problems related to it.

Overall, the interviews were very pleasant. I did not feel rushed during the technical parts.

Tips for the Reader:

Phone Interview: They may end up calling first before contacting via email: be able to genuinely answer the questions mentioned above.

Skype Interview: Business-casual is fine. Now is the time to screen-share and show any programming projects/demos (for ~5 minutes).

In-Person Interview: There were some basic coding exercises that I had to do relating to syntax for C/C++. Most of the technical interviewing was about solving problems and seeing how I approached them. I enjoyed using a whiteboard to draw out the various geometrical problems and work through them. I was offered the chance to explain one of my own projects through code, but it was just easier to draw out how it worked.

Fantastic process overall.

Interview Questions

• Geometry problem that I had never seen or thought of before.   1 Answer

Staff Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Austin, TX).

Interview

I traded texts with the hiring manager, which led to meeting him in a casual setting in a cafe. Our goals aligned well enough that the meeting led to a set of technical screens in the office. Each team member asked a different question on place and route, and the AE role. We touched on timing closure, tcl, DRC closure.

Interview Questions

• Given a circuit schematic and a clock period, what are the setup and hold times on a set of flops?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I spoke with my hiring manager, completed two phone interviews, and then went on site in San Jose to interview with the team. We meshed quite well and I was offered a position on the team that I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Given a FILE* object and a desired number of bytes to be read from it, implement a reentrant function to read the file, utilizing a buffer.   1 Answer