Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2016

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

My interview experience with Cadence was extremely positive. My primary language was Java with respectable experience writing C code and even though the team was essentially looking for C++ developers I was still considered. Right from the beginning, the process was smooth, fast, and transparent.

I was first contacted by the HR to set up my first initial phone screen with the manager. This screen lasted for about half hour where we discussed my background and my interests. Soon after, I was called onsite to interview with the team. I spoke to around 10 people (my entire team) on the day of the interview, there were 5 rounds with 2 interviewers each. I heard back from them in 2 days.

The interview questions were fairly simple but I was made to explain every answer I gave in detail to test my depth of knowledge. My lack of C++ proficiency was considered. They started with simple topics but then dug deeper as we proceeded. My interviewers were all experienced and they didn't ask obvious follow up questions. These follow up questions in turn made the interview challenging but in a fun way and I learned (took heed of) a lot at the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• Round 1:
      a) Discussed my coursework, projects, and experience in school in detail
      b) Basic OOP concepts
      c) Write a program which returns the nth element of the Fibonacci series. Input to the function is n.
      d) When an object is initiated, what does the class provide it?
      e) Reverse a string
    • Round 2:
      a) Discussed my familiarity with the software development cycle
      b) Discussed my internship project
      c)Write a program to count the number of set bits in a given number n
    • Round 3:
      a) Amdahl's law
      b) Basics concepts pertaining semiconductors, doping, diodes, transistors.
      c) Sorting algorithms with emphasis on Merge Sort and Quick Sort
    • Round 4:
      a) Write a program to sum all the elements in a binary tree
      b) Dynamic programming questions like Tower of Hanoi and minimum number of steps of climb a flight of stairs
      c) Questions on pointer, references, and variables
    • Round 5:
      Behavioral questions and personal experiences and a few basic programming questions

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2013.

Interview

Interview was very detail oriented about C++ & OOP programming knowledge, 6 hours of interviews, 2 interviewers at a time for 1 hour a piece. Lots of writing code on whiteboards and answering obscure trivia about languages. They were also very interested in past work I had done working with the OpenAccess Database and the SKILL language.

Interview Questions

• An unexpected question was: "You and I are playing russian roulette and I load two bullets into a 6 chambered revolver in adjacent chambers. I go first, and nothing happens. Now you can either pull the trigger as is, or spin the chambers for a 'random' chance. What do you do and why?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations were simple, they gave me a first offer, I countered and they submitted to all requirements except vacation. They would not budge on vacation, but increased the offer 8% and double the relocation package.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2010.

Interview

Search in Trie data structure, some array qs, searching & sorting, puzzles - bridge crossing, Puzzle - probability based. Lot of C++ questions in details as I was interviewed for C++ developer position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR was arrogant and rude. No negotiation.