CalTech (Texas) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CalTech (Texas) Interview Questions

Interviews at CalTech (Texas)

2.8

Sort:

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) in February 2013.

Interview

While in graduate school, I studied I/O Psychology and part of our program was geared towards the hiring process. As a student, I felt like I would be able to offer some recommendations, based on what I was learning in the grad program. CalTech knocked the interview process out of the park. A large majority of the best practices we learned in school were the very same things CalTech was doing. Needless to say, I was impressed!

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Angelo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (San Angelo, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

It first started off with a one way video conference. Next was a follow up phone call by the recruiter and finally a two way video conference interview. It was basic questions about personality, and job roles, combined with experience and a general get to know you feel. Overall, a pretty pleasant experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (South Bend, IN) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough--to the tune of almost 2 months for me being an out of state candidate moving to Kansas. The first correspondence was for a one way video interview, followed by phone interview, followed by web interview, followed by a flight to TX to interview with 3 personnel face to face from CalTech. Everything felt well planned, organized and very professional.

Interview Questions

It was the toughest decision I've had to make in regards to my work career. With my circumstances, there was another similar position at another company that fit me and my family better that I chose to accept. CalTech did everything right, but the other job had a few perks that CalTech didn't currently offer, as well as me not having to train in TX for a month away from my young babies and wife at CalTech's main location.

Desktop Support Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas).

Interview

There was a quick response after submitting my application. I was then required to submit their company application for the job, then do an online one way interview. The one way interview asked several personal questions, less about job related info.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Angelo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (San Angelo, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Multiple Stage Process, Started with a one way video interview, then a 1 on 1 Phone interview with HR Recruiter. From there was a 1 on 1 in person with the Manager of the Branch you are looking to work at, and then a 3 on 1 with there team in San Angelo. Yes they reimburse your Mileage and put you up in a Hotel if you have to stay they night. They also have you do a Drug Test before that 3 on 1. I will say for not getting the job it still has extremely professional and friendly process. I wish the best for this company even though I am a little disappointed in not getting the Job.

Interview Questions

• What does customer Service mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you had a deadline that you could not meet and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Angelo, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (San Angelo, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

First you'll do a one way video interview, followed by a HR phone interview and a interview with the mentor over the region you applied for. Then off to San Angelo to do a three person panel interview. The questions threw me off a little bit because they weren't traditional interview questions but they're easy questions. I didn't fit their criteria but the staff is really easy to get along with. Just be honest & relaxed. You'll do fine. I was out of state so they paid for my room in San Angelo and mileage from the region I applied for to HQ. The rest of my travel expense was out of pocket.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you were right but your manager was wrong and how you handled the situation?   Answer Question
    • What is hard work to you?   Answer Question
    • Greatest strength and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you were behind schedule or messed up on a project and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Angelo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (San Angelo, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a 1-way video interview, a phone interview, a 1 on 1 in-person interview, and a 2 on 1 panel interview.

Everything seemed to be going well throughout the initial interviews. The HR recruiter was very forthcoming with information concerning pay and advancement. They also clearly laid out the path for advancement and what is required to move up to the next level.

The final panel interview consisted of the interview itself, followed by an aptitude test and shadowing a Tier 1 Technician for about an hour. Given that they would bother taking me through these steps (as well as a drug test that they paid for), I felt fairly confident that I would get the job. I was told at this interview that they would get back to me within a week.

A week passed with no contact, so I spent the rest of the next week (unsuccessfully) trying to get a hold of anyone from the company and ask about the status of my application. About two weeks after the final interview the HR recruiter forwarded me an email that was supposed to be sent out the week before but didn't make it to me for whatever reason.

Considering the HR recruiter told me he wanted me to learn something from this interview process regardless of the result, you would think I would receive a bit more feedback than a copy-paste rejection email. I learned from other sources that a reason for my rejection was lack of humility. Regardless of whether or not this is true, if a little bit of confidence in my abilities is considered arrogant, this probably wasn't the company for me anyway.

I believe the first few steps of the interview process should be more concerned with screening candidates than hyping up the company only to reject them. I know 4 people who applied and went through all the same steps I did, and only 1 was hired. If a candidate doesn't seem to be a good fit for the job, I think it should be determined within the initial interviews instead of paying for a drug test and scheduling several interviews for nothing.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

CalTech (Texas) Response

Jun 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review of our interview and evaluation process. It is feedback like yours that helps us continually improve. As you alluded to, we take great care... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Angelo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (San Angelo, TX).

Interview

I applied for the job and within 24 hours got a call. Over the next three weeks, I did a screening, phone interview with HR, an in-person technical interview, and travelled to San Angelo for a panel interview (they reimbursed the travel). They were very forthcoming with information about the company and the position including compensation, benefits, and the future of the role. I also did a drug test, background check, and a personality test.

They were big on openness and communication. Everything was very optimistic; we discussed start dates, salary, I met the team and even shadowed someone for an hour. All of this was fantastic, and according to the recruiter, it was a matter of time before I was offered the job. This was all positive and a great interview process, however, I gave it a negative review because...

...after 3 weeks and 4 interviews, all communication was cut off. I reached out to get an update and a few days later, instead of a person reaching out, I received the generic "Thank you for applying" email, no one called or anything. I tried reaching out to them again to thank them for their time, but they answered and immediately hung up. At the end of the processes, I felt led on and disrespected. This is a huge turn-off for me and turned the entire experience into a negative one. (I've gotten rejections from other companies as well, I'm sure all of us have. Those still received a positive review even though no offer was made.)

Interview Questions

• Technical Skills, Management style, Strengths and Weaknesses   Answer Question

CalTech (Texas) Response

Mar 13, 2018

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide candid feedback as we openly accept every opportunity to improve. At times, it is difficult to articulate the reasons why any candidate is not... More

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Caltech Interview process is one of the best learning experiences I've ever had. The interviewers from the first to the last where looking for the profile that fits the company's culture and values. They've always thrived to make me feel comfortable before any interview. I felt that I was treated fairly and with a lot of respect.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CalTech (Texas) (San Angelo, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The process seem to be long and lengthy . Several different people and groups from the company but only because of the position that I was being hired for.

Interview Questions

• What 3 values do I believe and employee should have   1 Answer