Calamos Investments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Calamos Investments

2.7

Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Lisle, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

Unsolicited call - short discussion - followed up with personality test. That's about it.

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Naperville, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

Was contacted by email and a phone screen followed quickly after. Next step was a personality test online which took about 5 minutes. My first live interview took place about 2 weeks later. Interviewed with HR as well as a few mid-level managers (not at same time). Second round interview was with some of the more senior level employees, again individually. Never made it to third interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about some of the current stocks that you are interested in?   Answer Question

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Naperville, IL) in November 2012.

Interview

Be prepared for a lengthy process.

Previously had interacted with Calamos investment consultants and one of their employees thought I would be a good fit for the position so forwarded my resume to HR. Took almost two months for their "talent acquisition" manager to reach out to me. At that time there was an initial phone screen and a personality test administered. HR was not prepared for the phone screen and asked me details that he could of easily gathered from reading my resume.

It was then six weeks before I was contacted and ask to come in for the first initial in-person interview. At that time I was asked to submit a written employment application (even though I had filled out the online application!) when reporting to the office. My interview was scheduled for early afternoon, HR showed up more than a half hour late for the interview as he wasn't even in the office when I showed up at the scheduled time. Met with their "talent acquisition" manager and was asked the same questions I was in the phone screen.

I met with one of their research managers who is responsible for managing the junior analysts at Calamos. Discussion lasted about an hour and consisted of questions about my previous experience. I was also asked to pitch a stock and I pitched several ideas to demonstrate my qualifications. Manager told me I was more than qualified for the position.

Took them almost two weeks to decide to pursue a second round interview to meet with members of the investment team. I was asked again to bring a written employment application (good job HR losing the previous one). I met with the other research manager responsible for junior analysts and two members of the senior investment team. I was suppose to meet with one of their CIOs but I was informed upon arrival that he was not in the office, it was rather apparent that no one bothered to check his schedule.

I was asked all sorts of questions ranging from why Calamos, pitching stocks, general investment knowledge, brain teasers and overall views on the market. Discussion lasted longer than initially planned for and I was told by a senior investment professional upon leaving that HR would be in touch about scheduling a 3rd round in person interview to meet with more investment professionals including both CIOs

Weeks go by and I followed up with HR on a weekly basis. Never answered my phone or email correspondence in a timely manner often taking multiple days to respond. Told me multiple times that the investment committee was reviewing multiple candidates and their process was taking longer than normal. Lead me on to believe that they were so serious about their selection process so much that I forgo a competing offer in California (I am based in Chicago so this was part of my decision making). Finally got in touch with HR and he responded O I meant to call you two weeks ago, we've decided not to pursue junior analysts at this time as we believe the firm needs more senior and seasoned analysts. This is five months later from the initial contact I had with a Calamos professional.

I asked HR if I could provide references to back up my qualifications and demonstrate I was in fact a seasoned investment professional (keep in mind I have multiple years of experience and have made substantial progress towards my CFA). Was told at a later date that they reached out to my references by their "talent acquisition" manager and that they did not feel it changed their hiring needs. Truth is they never bothered to call a single reference (my references were both at my firm and brokers on the sell-side who clearly knew my work ethic).

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: If you weren't pursuing a career in investments, what job/career would you be pursuing and why?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Chicago, IL) in January 2019.

Interview

Online interview was before the in person interview and was really simple. Didn't get the in person interview so I can't really comment on how that was but the online interview was a breeze. They're really bad at communication and don't update you whatsoever.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Calamos Investments.

Interview

Received notice of posting via college website, applied online and received an email scheduling innitial phone screen call later that week, the phone call lasted 5 minutes and it seemed GPA was their main concern

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Naperville, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was called by HR for an initial interview. A few days after I was called to a face-to-face interview which took about 2 and a half hours. It started with HR for half an hour, then I met with the project manager and her boss for an hour, then I met with 2 developers and had some easy coding and sql tests.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to do a join between multiple tables but don't remember exactly the question   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered initially an amount which was lower than glassdoor had listed for the same position at their company. After negotiations they met my request (5% more than they initially offered). Also they were ok to give me more vacation than the company policy because I had more at my previous work.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Naperville, IL) in July 2010.

Interview

I had three interviews over the span of 2 weeks. The process was very painless and everyone involved with the three interviews were polite and respectful to a new college grad.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable - take it or leave it.

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Calamos Investments.

Interview

I met individually with four managers for a half an hour each. Each interview was very similar, but everyone was kind and respectful. Typical interview questions. Nothing surprised me, and I felt very welcome.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Calamos Investments in September 2012.

Interview

Multiple steps process..seems like everyone is afraid the top management.Very inflexible organization..also add a little show off

Interview Questions

• Nothing super tough,common interview questions,accounting related,about the equity market,etc..   Answer Question

Junior Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Naperville, IL) in November 2018.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews. Two video interviews, two onsite, and one paper discussion interview. I got the offer but got rescinded from them because they are not willing to wait for one more month for my receiving EAD card.