Calamos Investments Junior Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Calamos Investments Junior Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Calamos Investments

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Naperville, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

Was contacted by email and a phone screen followed quickly after. Next step was a personality test online which took about 5 minutes. My first live interview took place about 2 weeks later. Interviewed with HR as well as a few mid-level managers (not at same time). Second round interview was with some of the more senior level employees, again individually. Never made it to third interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about some of the current stocks that you are interested in?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Calamos Investments

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Calamos Investments (Naperville, IL) in November 2012.

Interview

Be prepared for a lengthy process.

Previously had interacted with Calamos investment consultants and one of their employees thought I would be a good fit for the position so forwarded my resume to HR. Took almost two months for their "talent acquisition" manager to reach out to me. At that time there was an initial phone screen and a personality test administered. HR was not prepared for the phone screen and asked me details that he could of easily gathered from reading my resume.

It was then six weeks before I was contacted and ask to come in for the first initial in-person interview. At that time I was asked to submit a written employment application (even though I had filled out the online application!) when reporting to the office. My interview was scheduled for early afternoon, HR showed up more than a half hour late for the interview as he wasn't even in the office when I showed up at the scheduled time. Met with their "talent acquisition" manager and was asked the same questions I was in the phone screen.

I met with one of their research managers who is responsible for managing the junior analysts at Calamos. Discussion lasted about an hour and consisted of questions about my previous experience. I was also asked to pitch a stock and I pitched several ideas to demonstrate my qualifications. Manager told me I was more than qualified for the position.

Took them almost two weeks to decide to pursue a second round interview to meet with members of the investment team. I was asked again to bring a written employment application (good job HR losing the previous one). I met with the other research manager responsible for junior analysts and two members of the senior investment team. I was suppose to meet with one of their CIOs but I was informed upon arrival that he was not in the office, it was rather apparent that no one bothered to check his schedule.

I was asked all sorts of questions ranging from why Calamos, pitching stocks, general investment knowledge, brain teasers and overall views on the market. Discussion lasted longer than initially planned for and I was told by a senior investment professional upon leaving that HR would be in touch about scheduling a 3rd round in person interview to meet with more investment professionals including both CIOs

Weeks go by and I followed up with HR on a weekly basis. Never answered my phone or email correspondence in a timely manner often taking multiple days to respond. Told me multiple times that the investment committee was reviewing multiple candidates and their process was taking longer than normal. Lead me on to believe that they were so serious about their selection process so much that I forgo a competing offer in California (I am based in Chicago so this was part of my decision making). Finally got in touch with HR and he responded O I meant to call you two weeks ago, we've decided not to pursue junior analysts at this time as we believe the firm needs more senior and seasoned analysts. This is five months later from the initial contact I had with a Calamos professional.

I asked HR if I could provide references to back up my qualifications and demonstrate I was in fact a seasoned investment professional (keep in mind I have multiple years of experience and have made substantial progress towards my CFA). Was told at a later date that they reached out to my references by their "talent acquisition" manager and that they did not feel it changed their hiring needs. Truth is they never bothered to call a single reference (my references were both at my firm and brokers on the sell-side who clearly knew my work ethic).

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: If you weren't pursuing a career in investments, what job/career would you be pursuing and why?   Answer Question