California Department of Health Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 29, 2017

3.4

Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Hollywood, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (North Hollywood, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Got called in for an interview 3 weeks after applying and was interviewed by two people who provided a sheet of all the interview questions and explained that i may look over them before the interview actually begins. They wrote down almost everything I said and were very friendly. Interview only lasted 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a stressful time at your previous job and how you handled it   Answer Question

Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Sacramento, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. I received an email 3 weeks after final filing date to interview for the position. I was given 10 minutes to review the questions they would ask me, had a panel of 3 people asking the questions, then had 10 minutes to type an essay on the qualities of an Office Technician.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a brief overview of your education and work history as it applies to this position.   Answer Question
    • What is your definition of teamwork?   Answer Question
    • What is the least and most enjoyable task you did at your last job? This was not scored.   Answer Question
    • What is one of your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • How would you manage multiple projects with varying deadlines?   Answer Question
    • How would I prepare my supervisor for a busy day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Burbank, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I've interviewed with other government agencies for an entry auditor position and this interview by far has been the toughest. The first part of the interview is a panel of three people asking you ten questions in total. The questions are about basic accounting and audit vocabulary that I had not reviewed in a while. Make sure you review before going to the interview. The second part is a written test. They give you 15 minutes to answer one question.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is materiality and give an example?
      Q. What is the difference between a capital lease and operational lease?
      Q. What is the matching principle and why it is important to accountants?
      Q. What is professional skepticism and why is it important to auditors?
      Q. What is the balance sheet formula and describe each part?
      Q. A/R journal entry?
      Q. What is going concern?
      Q. Do you mind staying overnight/travel for audits?
      Q. What qualities does an auditor need to have?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services.

Interview

Applied maybe beginning of August and didn't get called for an interview until at least a month or so later. I received the call for the interview along with a confirmation email including all the details I would need for day of. There was a half hour test on the computer where I was provided a pdf full of information, an excel spreadsheet with rates and a blank word document. I was asked to research information from the pdf, list and compare the numbers from the pdf and explain my research on the word document. Honestly I think they forgot to clear out the previous interviewees work on the spreadsheet before I got there because there was a bunch of numbers listed without labels which made the whole thing pretty confusing. I really thought I had failed the test.
    While I was trying to figure that out someone dropped off a copy of the org chart along with the questions they would be asking me. I spent so much time on the test I really didn't get to review the questions beforehand. Luckily I felt like I had done pretty well with the interview. It was with 4 other people and they stuck to the questions on the paper they had provided. They were all very nice although one person was overly serious and slightly intimidating during just the way she stared me down but maybe that was just me. I do get overly nervous with interviews.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a standout candidate for this job? (or something along those lines.)   Answer Question
    • Give us an example of how you would handle a large work volume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer phase is really strange. Apparently they give you a tentative offer first. They don't give you any other details other than that they want to hire you. Then they go through some HR process to make sure you are qualified or have no issues that would keep them from hiring you. (I didn't really understand that part.) Within 2 weeks they are supposed to call you back with the firm offer that includes salary, start date etc. I am currently waiting on this call. Unfortunately the lady I spoke to thinks I will be getting the bottom of the salary range and that is not negotiable. State doesn't negotiate when it comes to salary. Hope to hear more soon though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I have an interview in DTLA. It was fast less than 30 mins. Interviewee should come early to look for parking. Normally, it would cost about $10 for flat rate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you pick this position?   1 Answer

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Sacramento, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the role. I chose this position because it required a supplemental questionnaire and presentation, thus reducing the number of applicants who would apply. I was called a day after the deadline to set up an interview and was provided with a confirmation email that included prompts for the presentation. The actual interview was in front of two people, starting with a presentation, followed by your standard sit down interview. CalHR requires the questions to be standardized, so they are in front of you to read along and are all the same for each candidate. Anywho, I was told I would get a call in a few days if they were interested to come back for an "informal" interview and to meet some members of the team. I did get called back a day later and scheduled a week out to come in and meet with the team. The 2nd interview was actually formal and structured, not informal, as stated, so that was a surprise. I heard a few days later that my references were called, but then I heard nothing for about three weeks. I followed up with the managers and asked if I was still under consideration, as I was getting invites almost every other day for interviews. They assured me I was still under consideration. The HR process to verify your background and employment is very extensive. For me, it took from the end of August until the first week of November to get a start date!
    The best advice I have for anyone seeking a state job is, a.) make sure you are on the employment list by taking the online self-assessment exam. Score yourself high! b.) expect the process to take longer than the private sector, and c.) don't be intimidated by the "standoffishness" of the interview panel - they are told to be neutral and only focus on your qualifications and not to "shmooze" with you. Also, most questions are behavioral based, so be sure to come prepared to provide examples of how you've handled situations in the past.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with cultural and personality differences?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process is great . Everyone at the office helped out as much as they could. They make you feel comfortable from. The very start and try to be as transparent as possible.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what we investigate?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Took the Auditor I test on the CA jobs website. A passing score is good for a year. I applied to this job by mailing the test score, application, and transcript to the office.

The interview consisted of 5 questions in front of a panel. It was all auditing questions. I had not looked at my auditing book for a year so I was lost. There is also a 20-minute written essay.

I emailed to follow up but there was no response. After 5 weeks I received a letter in the mail saying I did not get the position.

This building is in downtown LA. If you have never been here, drive ahead of time to find the building and parking structure(s). Parking is not free.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long, informative, and challenging. It took me 6 months to get a call from them. I like how they test your knowledge on the position you are applying for. They are not only after someone who they could work with but with someone they want to work with.

Auditor I Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services.

Interview

First I applied by sending in my state application from a job bulletin on CalHr. Secondly I was required to send in my transcripts. Third was scheduling an interview the interview was about an hour long and consisted of basic accounting terms, cash vs accrual, indirect and direct cost, understanding financial statements and source documents.

Interview Questions

• Understanding Accrual base accounting and cash basis accounting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, pretty much you get place into the pay range base on education and experience.