California Department of Health Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

California Department of Health Services Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Burbank, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I've interviewed with other government agencies for an entry auditor position and this interview by far has been the toughest. The first part of the interview is a panel of three people asking you ten questions in total. The questions are about basic accounting and audit vocabulary that I had not reviewed in a while. Make sure you review before going to the interview. The second part is a written test. They give you 15 minutes to answer one question.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is materiality and give an example?
      Q. What is the difference between a capital lease and operational lease?
      Q. What is the matching principle and why it is important to accountants?
      Q. What is professional skepticism and why is it important to auditors?
      Q. What is the balance sheet formula and describe each part?
      Q. A/R journal entry?
      Q. What is going concern?
      Q. Do you mind staying overnight/travel for audits?
      Q. What qualities does an auditor need to have?
      Answer Question

Research Analyst II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services.

Interview

Applied maybe beginning of August and didn't get called for an interview until at least a month or so later. I received the call for the interview along with a confirmation email including all the details I would need for day of. There was a half hour test on the computer where I was provided a pdf full of information, an excel spreadsheet with rates and a blank word document. I was asked to research information from the pdf, list and compare the numbers from the pdf and explain my research on the word document. Honestly I think they forgot to clear out the previous interviewees work on the spreadsheet before I got there because there was a bunch of numbers listed without labels which made the whole thing pretty confusing. I really thought I had failed the test.
    While I was trying to figure that out someone dropped off a copy of the org chart along with the questions they would be asking me. I spent so much time on the test I really didn't get to review the questions beforehand. Luckily I felt like I had done pretty well with the interview. It was with 4 other people and they stuck to the questions on the paper they had provided. They were all very nice although one person was overly serious and slightly intimidating during just the way she stared me down but maybe that was just me. I do get overly nervous with interviews.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a standout candidate for this job? (or something along those lines.)   Answer Question
    • Give us an example of how you would handle a large work volume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer phase is really strange. Apparently they give you a tentative offer first. They don't give you any other details other than that they want to hire you. Then they go through some HR process to make sure you are qualified or have no issues that would keep them from hiring you. (I didn't really understand that part.) Within 2 weeks they are supposed to call you back with the firm offer that includes salary, start date etc. I am currently waiting on this call. Unfortunately the lady I spoke to thinks I will be getting the bottom of the salary range and that is not negotiable. State doesn't negotiate when it comes to salary. Hope to hear more soon though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I have an interview in DTLA. It was fast less than 30 mins. Interviewee should come early to look for parking. Normally, it would cost about $10 for flat rate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you pick this position?   1 Answer

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Sacramento, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the role. I chose this position because it required a supplemental questionnaire and presentation, thus reducing the number of applicants who would apply. I was called a day after the deadline to set up an interview and was provided with a confirmation email that included prompts for the presentation. The actual interview was in front of two people, starting with a presentation, followed by your standard sit down interview. CalHR requires the questions to be standardized, so they are in front of you to read along and are all the same for each candidate. Anywho, I was told I would get a call in a few days if they were interested to come back for an "informal" interview and to meet some members of the team. I did get called back a day later and scheduled a week out to come in and meet with the team. The 2nd interview was actually formal and structured, not informal, as stated, so that was a surprise. I heard a few days later that my references were called, but then I heard nothing for about three weeks. I followed up with the managers and asked if I was still under consideration, as I was getting invites almost every other day for interviews. They assured me I was still under consideration. The HR process to verify your background and employment is very extensive. For me, it took from the end of August until the first week of November to get a start date!
    The best advice I have for anyone seeking a state job is, a.) make sure you are on the employment list by taking the online self-assessment exam. Score yourself high! b.) expect the process to take longer than the private sector, and c.) don't be intimidated by the "standoffishness" of the interview panel - they are told to be neutral and only focus on your qualifications and not to "shmooze" with you. Also, most questions are behavioral based, so be sure to come prepared to provide examples of how you've handled situations in the past.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with cultural and personality differences?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process is great . Everyone at the office helped out as much as they could. They make you feel comfortable from. The very start and try to be as transparent as possible.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what we investigate?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Took the Auditor I test on the CA jobs website. A passing score is good for a year. I applied to this job by mailing the test score, application, and transcript to the office.

The interview consisted of 5 questions in front of a panel. It was all auditing questions. I had not looked at my auditing book for a year so I was lost. There is also a 20-minute written essay.

I emailed to follow up but there was no response. After 5 weeks I received a letter in the mail saying I did not get the position.

This building is in downtown LA. If you have never been here, drive ahead of time to find the building and parking structure(s). Parking is not free.

Auditor I Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services.

Interview

First I applied by sending in my state application from a job bulletin on CalHr. Secondly I was required to send in my transcripts. Third was scheduling an interview the interview was about an hour long and consisted of basic accounting terms, cash vs accrual, indirect and direct cost, understanding financial statements and source documents.

Interview Questions

• Understanding Accrual base accounting and cash basis accounting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, pretty much you get place into the pay range base on education and experience.

Staff Services Analyst (General) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Sacramento, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

This was for a bilingual position, so remove that part if you are looking for general SSA interview help. The first 3 questions were in English:
    1: what skills/experience do you have that would qualify you for this position?
    2: what analytical experience do you have?
    3: discuss a time when you had to meet multiple deadlines.

You must arrive early to find parking and to wait for a chaperone to take you upstairs. This person was from the division, so be friendly. Bring all your possible documents and follow their lead on level of eye contact. I was sat in a corner and told to write down my references and wait. Then, I was taken to a conference room where 3 interviewers sat. I was given a group of friendly interviewers who were fairly low on eye contact, which worked well for me. I answered the 4 questions and was then asked if I had any for them. Then, I was taken to a computer at an empty desk and given a small binder. I was set up on microsoft Word and told that I would have 20 minutes to read the instructions and create a case memo. I was nervous and shaking, but I had time leftover to re-read the instructions and my memo. I had first misread the instructions and so my free time allowed me to catch that and edit my memo, accordingly. The very next day, all of my references were contacted around 4pm. After all my references were complete (2 days later), I received a phone call saying that they wanted to extend an offer to me and asked whether I would accept. Then, I was told to stop by the Dept to sign a legal/work document, which was a 15 minute total visit. I was handed a letter stating there was an offer extended to me and that I should expect to start in a month-ish. As of now, I am still in that waiting period.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to go over my qualifications for the position in Spanish.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I still don't know what my salary will be, because I was told there is a small increase for being a bilingual position. Assume the minimum SSA pay as posted on the job bulletin

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services in October 2012.

Interview

Really quick process from the time they called me until I started the job. Basic 2 on 1 interview. There was a 30 minute writing exercise about a project you completed that could exhibit skills for the position I interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• describe how you would handle conflicting requests from upper management   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's pretty much no negotiations with the state

Physician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California Department of Health Services (Norwalk, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

I was told about the position as I was contemplating exiting the California Dept of Corrections and Rehabilitation. I called the Metropolitan State Hospital, a California Department of Mental Health facility, and was told to fill out an online form, then print and send it to the hospital directly. I was offered an interview after about 2 months, and it consisted of filling out some additional forms (related to background check), and also a 1/2 hour panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What happened that I quit my high paying previous state job   1 Answer