California Department of Justice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

California Department of Justice Interview Questions

2.7

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Justice in June 2016.

Interview

The interview was with a panel of three attorney interviewers. They had a set list of questions and did not deviate from them. It was apparent from the questions and process that the department had put a lot of effort into avoiding unintended bias.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Justice.

Interview

Applied via mail, as is standard protocol. Application deadline was in mid-November, and I was called for an interview five weeks later. First I did a writing exercise that lasted 30 minutes and then met with a panel of three for 30 minutes. As is usual with the State, they provide you with the questions to follow along. I found the process was very positive and my panel was enthusiastic about their work. I am hoping this interview will result in an offer. They told me if they were moving forward, they would call me and then call my references, and due to the nature of the job, the background check could take four months, if I were selected.
    Interviews wrapped up yesterday and so far I have not gotten a call yet for references, so I am not sure if I am moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would deal with an upset client who was rude to you on the phone and then refused to answer your emails.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Justice (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Relaxing and surprisingly casual. I was expecting a much more intense interview process but it was much more laid back. It really was more of a causal conversation. After the interview, I felt genuinely more excited to work for them.

Legal Analyst Interview

Application

I interviewed at California Department of Justice in July 2014.

Interview

I applied through a school contact. The interview was a panel consisting of a SDAG (Senior District Attorney), the Sr. Legal Analyst, and another Legal Analyst. They started with the question tell me a little about yourself and then asked about my education and courses. They let me know fairly quickly whether or not I got the position. My advice in interviewing is emphasize your writing abilities, bring a writing sample. This is an unpaid position but can be used to gain a lot of experience. Many legal interns stay for 6 months or more. There is plenty to learn and those that work there are very friendly.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Justice in February 2014.

Interview

The hiring is coordinated by an Office Technician and then on the day of the interview you finally meet a panel of managers but you are not certain who will be the boss. They keep it quiet and never tell you any details.

Interview Questions

• The questions were difficult and management was looking for certain answers to give points. They were standard, some technical and some were personality based.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It took 1 month to negotiate my salary. They needed W2 documents to prove I was making what I was requesting.

Manager Interview

Interview

Everyone will be asked the same questions. Think "key words" when you respond, and aim for an answer that covers all possible angles with as many key words as possible. Typically there will be an interview panel of three or four persons, and the experience is generally pleasantly neutral. You have been invited to interview because you have been identified as a worthy candidate. Therefore, you deserve to feel good about the interview. Give yourself a green light to bring your A-Game and your personal best to the experience; and good luck. Although it isn't always, it can be a nice place to work.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Justice (San Diego, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was what you would expect. I actually applied for the County of San Diego and I went on a couple of interviews before given the interview for the California Department of Justice. I believe it was a year before this last interview. The interviewers asked basic questions and it was not a very long process. Once I was hired, the background check took a couple of months, but the interview process was acceptable.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you will be able to balance school and work?   Answer Question