California Department of Motor Vehicles Interview Questions | Glassdoor

California Department of Motor Vehicles Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.8

Motor Vehicle Field Representative Interview

Interview

I arrived for my interview 15 minutes early and informed the security that I was there. As I was awaiting for someone to greet me, another candidate was being escorted out, which sort of dropped my spirits, cause I realized it was a mass interview type of day. I was finally invited back and introduced to the manager and his associate. I sat at a roundtable with the 2 of them and they had me sign 2 forms. One disclosing any form of nepotism and the other submitting to a background check. Then they asked questions off a prepared sheet, they allow you to follow along with the questions as they take notes of your answers. Overall the experience wasn't too positive as I was expecting a more personal experience, given how much time it takes to submit an application and finally be called back for an interview. I also drove 40 minutes out of the way, for about a 15 minute interview. They said the process is about 30 days as they have other candidates to interview. But they will be in contact whether it be a yes or no decision. I'm not expecting positive results.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with the duties of a Motor Vehicle Representative?   Answer Question

Motor Vehicle Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Napa, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles (Napa, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Take a test in person scored a 80 applied in person took about a week to be called in for a interview it was a Panel interview with four people they give you a list of questions and write down your answers

Interview Questions

• What would your manager say is your weakness ?
      What do we do here at the DMV ?
      If you overheard your coworker give a customer the wrong info. What would you do ?
      What experience do you have with cash handling and customer service ?
      What do you think is most important for customer service accuracy, attendance etc ?
      Answer Question

Licensing Registration Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles (Riverside, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

You generally have to score in the top 3 ranks to start receiving contact letters. But don't wait for those letters. Start applying when you see a location you'd like to work. Received a phone call after 3 months after applying to come in for a interview. The interview is typical of State of California positions. It was a panel interview of 2 managers. They took turns asking approx 7 questions. Very impersonal. They write down your answers & look stone faced. Interview was about 15 mins.

Interview Questions

• After performing a driving field test and your driver did not pass, how would you deliver the news and what advice will you offer?   1 Answer

Motor Field Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles.

Interview

The testing process is a revolving set of dates for a scantron test. It is a series of basic math, grammar and customer service questions. The whole process took 2-3 hours.

Interview Questions

• How would you communicate with someone who did not speak English?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles in September 2015.

Interview

So basically you take a scantron test that has 5 sections then if you score 70 percent of higher your eligible to apply and get hired. It's fairly easy a I rushed and got 90 percent. Then you mail a ton of apps to positions that are open. It's takes patience but they start calling. I did a telephone interview with the Palm desert dmv and over a month later was offered the position. I then took a live scan which took 5 weeks. I called a number to check and they barley got the live scan back. I am still waiting for them to contact me regarding the next steps.

Interview Questions

• How would you assist a customer if you has a language barrier?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I haven't reached this stage all I can say is that it takes patience.

MVR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles (San Diego, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Panel Interview. Series of questions on a book. Very straight forward and to the point questions. Cut and dry questions. Very formal interview. Takes several months to get back to you.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you would handle a customer who spoke in a foreign language?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Panel interview, read from set list of questions. Said they would let me know one way or the other in about 2-4 weeks, still waiting for a call or letter to arrive.

MVR Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles.

Interview

face to face interview with two managers
    they give you a print out of the list of questions they are about to ask you
    all questions are pretty generic and straight forward

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Fernando, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles (San Fernando, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

It was short and sweet. I really wanted this job because I want fast pace, but I don't think I got it :(. Also, some of these positions are 20-40 hours so if you do not want to risk getting a full paycheck, do not apply. I only had two people in the office during the interview. I did ask the questions I needed, but I don't know if that helped or not. Good luck to anyone who wants to apply.

Interview Questions

• How would you interact with a person who does not speak English as a first language?   1 Answer

Licensing Registration Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Motor Vehicles (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

One day, answered a few questions. Very short. You wait a little bit in the lobby and fill out a few forms. Forms are to make sure you don't know anyone in the hiring process and have a close relationship with them. It also asks for permission to look into your records. During the interview it is usually at least two people. They ask questions and write down your answers.

Interview Questions

• basically, how one would handle different situations .Customer service questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate anything, I just accepted. No one was even sure of what my rate of pay would be.