California Department of Public Health Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at California Department of Public Health

2.7

Sort:

Office Technician Interview

Interview

There was a panel interview with two interviewers. They asked the typical interview questions and there was a written tes/quiz at the end with questions related to the job. Overall not a bad experience.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health (Sacramento, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Written Test before the oral interview. Oral question sheet was provided in the beginning and given some time to think about those. There were two managers (one SSM-1 and one SSM-2) and one analyst present in the interview. 10 questions that they took turns in asking.

Interview Questions

Application

I interviewed at California Department of Public Health in June 2014.

Interview

Given 5 Interview Questions and time to write answers down. Then asked answers during interview. Was also given time to asked questions about the position and organization. Additionally, there was a computer test to make sure I knew how to use excel.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health (Sacramento, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

They walk you into the room and give you 15 minutes to prepare. They give you a piece of paper with the interview questions on it and a pen so that you can gather your thoughts. Interview panel consisted of 2 people who were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• They ask about what programming languages you are familiar with   1 Answer

Health Educator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health (Richmond, CA).

Interview

The interview consisted of a three person panel, with each person taking turns asking a question from a list. The questions were general behavior and experience-based questions. Examples include what would you do if a team member wasn't pulling his/her weight, what appeals to you about the job, and experience with Microsoft programs.

Interview Questions

• What appeals to you about the job?
      What skills and expertise would you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health.

Interview

Very casual interview process in which they will ask you a few questions to get to know you, and then they will inform you about what to expect as a volunteer.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health.

Interview

The hiring process was relatively streamlined and straightforward. The interview consisted of a panel with key members of the team from different departments with pre-scripted questions that asked broadly about familiarity with different technical processes and the typical behavioral questions. Only thing that stood out about the hiring process was the number of references requested (6).

Interview Questions

• Tell us why you think you're a good fit for this position.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health (Richmond, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

General questions about your resume. Focus on what you have done in your academic studies and past research work. Know your technical skills and abilities well. (Be able to explain clearly and especially how you derived those skills and abilities through your academics and past research.)

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me, in detail, with all the specifics and calculations of how you used [so-and-so machine mentioned on resume or cover letter]?   Answer Question

Deputy Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health.

Interview

This was a rigorous, thorough, and multi-step interview process that was vetted every step of the way, and took nearly a year, from application, to conclusion/offer. The interview process was very timed and very structured, at the same time, very original, inspiring and thought-provoking. I was impressed by the innovative interview process ... one with external stakeholders/experts, and another with internal stakeholders/decision makers.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a complex resolution with a stakeholder, particularly one that was in conflict with the organization's position?   Answer Question

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California Department of Public Health (Sacramento, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I sent out my SSA application and they called me back asking for an interview. The department e-mailed me the duty statement so I could look it over before the actual interview. When I got there (there is no parking by the way...so be prepared to walk a few blocks or pay) I had to wait in the lobby while the security guard called upstairs to let them know I was here. I went up to the office, and while I waited...I was given a job duty statement again to look over and a form to fill out regarding my last three previous supervisors.

I was interviewed by two managers, one man & one woman. They asked me questions about my knowledge of certain database programs and technical experience regarding the position. As I answered the questions, they had a list of of things to checkmark and were furiously writing down comments as well as rating me. It was a little uncomfortable that they were rating me in front of me...they informed me that they were hiring for three people, and that they would know a decision in two weeks.

I thought the interview was okay. It wasn't great but not extremely bad either....I did not get a job offer nor did I get a call/letter to let me know that I was not chosen. This was my first state interview...and it was somewhat different from what I expected. I did not expect to be interviewing with TWO people at one time, nor for their answers to my questions. I asked them about certain software programs that I had experience with and they replied with "that sounds very sophisticated, here at the state, we don't have sophisticated software like the private sector like where you work."

All in all, I think the interview process was okay...watch out for questions about Access. You will have to brush up on database software if you don't know it.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with database software such as Access?   Answer Question