California Department of State Hospitals Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at California Department of State Hospitals

3.1

Associate Governmental Program Analyst (AGPA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals (Highland, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

It was a panel interview with 2 managers. I was given a binder with a series of 5 questions. Answers should be provided by employing the STAR method. This method allows you to tell a fluid story starting with the situation, moving to the task you were assigned, going onto the action you took, and finishing up with the result of what happened in this particular instance.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to manage numerous responsibilities. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Psychiatric Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atascadero, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals (Atascadero, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

Interview was 15 minutes they placed a book in front of me read out the questions and when I flipped the page it goes to the next question. It was not a very difficult interview but they were intimidating know your nursing and you will be okay.

Interview Questions

• Not allowed to tell the questions. Just know your duties and be concise   Answer Question

Psychologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atascadero, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals (Atascadero, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Rude and disorganized , very lengthy process , asked to resubmit items that had already been submitted. Took 6 mos to get the interview. I had already accepted another position.

PT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atascadero, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals (Atascadero, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Once you go in for an interview by this time you probably have already practiced through school or have enough experience in the job, it is a panel interview. There is going to be a folder with questions which you may read while they read out loud the questions. It will be timed, but enough time to answer thoroughly.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if you saw a pt hand another pt an envelope during dinner time?   Answer Question

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals (Salinas, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

There were only 3 candidates total, including myself.

They asked very specific questions from the job description listed with the posting on the Jobs.ca.gov website. Not a typical interview by any means.

There was one more question but I cannot recall the exact wording. Be sure to look over the job description, the majority of these answers can be found in that text.

Interview Questions

• 1. What's the difference between A1 and A2?
      -A. Knowledge of:
      1.Principles, practices, and trends of public and business administration, management, and supportive staff services such as budgeting, personnel, and management analysis; and governmental functions and organizations.
      2.Problem-solving techniques and processes to facilitate the identification and resolution of problems and issues related to the completion of work assignments.

2. What is the rule/rank of three?
      -Only the top three ranking people in for this specific position will be granted an interview.

3. What are some ways to get hired on with the state of CA?
      - Transfer
      -or-
      Take the position test, apply with the paper application through the mail and wait to be selected from the pool of applicant for an interview.

4. How would you handle sensitive information that you will come in contact with?

5. If you were doing some hiring and you came across the name of someone you knew how would you handle this?

6. If faced with hiring and an applicant wanted to turn in an application late due to learning of the opening later than the close date what would you do? Is there an exception that can be made here?
      -   2 Answers

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals in February 2014.

Interview

Standard state interview- canned questions that took about 20 minutes. Not challenging for the average worker who has been in the field for several years or more. All state interviews are the same, except for location specific questions which may be inserted. You may wait awhile even if you are on time- so be prepared.

Interview Questions

• "How would you diagnose a patient with the following symptoms: ___________"   Answer Question

Clinical Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coalinga, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals (Coalinga, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview was more like an interrogation than a friendly conversation about my qualifications for the positon. There were two supervising social workers. One was easy to talk to the other looked at me the whole interview like I was guilty. I feel the reason I did not succeed at that job was because of her and her micro management style of supervision. She treated me with such disrespect and suspicion for nothing.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job?   2 Answers

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at California Department of State Hospitals (Sacramento, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

State requires your to test to qualify for a job classification, then apply to various open positions at different Departments. Once you pass an exam regardless the score it applies for one year in that classification.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult the hardest part when applying for state jobs is remembering to be very very detailed in responses.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiation but if you have a college degree it does start your page range in a higher class.