California Department of Water Resources Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2017

2.5

Software Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then planned in person interview. Unfortunately I live 600 miles away and the state does not pay for travel expenses which would cost me $400+ to fly round trip and pay for hotel. The other problem I had is they have ZERO flexibility in the schedule of the face to face interview and tried to push back a week in a rush and then wanted me to drive 10 hours each way. Pay is VERY LOW too for state IT jobs the pay schedule is HALF of what the private sector pays. For example, the top IT job pays only 60k a year compared to average of 120k in California which has the highest living costs. I tried to meet them half way and pay the costs of travel but unfortunately their HR department has ZERO flexibility for out of town candidates.

Engineering Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview panel of four including one HR representative. Tip: the interviewers can only consider what they write down during your responses to questions in person. Even if you have submitted a cover letter and a resume, restate your qualifications verbally.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied by mail. Took a 1 hr test with some electrical engineering fundamentals, some MATLAB, some statistics... Not too bad. Followed by a 1 hour interview with all types of questions from mainly situational to some behavioral, and a fun logic problem. Most important is to research a background on CDWR as well as what your job duties entail.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when everybody disagreed with you and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interviewing process began with a timed six-question long quiz and then a panel of three engineers interviewed me with mostly behavioral questions and some previous experience questions. The quiz asked for rudimentary coding for MATLAB, simple unit conversions as well as one riddle/logic question and a tricky symbolic math question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you handled a difficult situation   Answer Question

Student Assistant (Engineer & Architect) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Downloaded and filled out Department of Water Resources application form, printed it off, mailed it to address along with other required documents. Received phone call to schedule interview. Interview was a panel with two engineers form the department, a HR person, and one other person. They Gave me a list of the questions they were asking me and took turns asking me questions. Asked me technical questions about a dam, what type of dam it was, and identifying features about the dam. What I would do in certain types of situations, experiences, strengths, and weaknesses. Did a short technical write up on a computer in an email format with a website as a source for the information and a list of questions that "the boss needs in 20 minutes" for a meeting with the director.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by three people. They gave me a paper with questions on it that they were going to ask. All very easy questions about experience. Then i was asked to do a small written assignment. My first interview for a government job.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-5 what is you experience with (office programs).   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

They have you take a test first. It includes simple electrical engineering questions, and some simple programming questions. You should know Matlab code and VBA at least. The interview itself is very structure. Each person takes a turn asking a question, and its super generic like What do you know about the company, What was a challenge for you etc.

Interview Questions

• What what a challenge you had and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

- Ridiculously formal and cold
    - Awkward, no-feedback Q&A
    - No opportunity to ask detailed questions or learn about peer group
    - "No wrong answer" style, so you just blurt out everything you can think of
    - Absolutely no way to discern actual day-to-day job

Interview Questions

• - Describe how your experience applies to the role
      - Tell us about a time you had conflict and how you resolved it
      - Very basic engineering questions (describe a hydroelectric generation plant)
      - Tell us about a project you worked on that applies to this job   Answer Question
    • Typed question regarding how you would troubleshoot a mechanical problem   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Submitted my resume online, and was called in for an interview. Panel of 3 interviewers asking general engineering questions, background in water resources, courses being taken, and goals. It was a pretty generic interview, and the entire office didn't have a lively vibe.

Engineer, Water Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

The interview was an overall hydraulics and hydrology questionnaire. Most of the questions pertained to flooding and levees since the position was with Flood Management. There were 3 interviewers at the table and after the interview there was a short written letter question. The culture is much like all other state office, very old.