California Department of Water Resources Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Sort:

Senior Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

This interview was very intensive. It lasted a whole day. The process consisted of engineering test questions that checked out your code knowledge. I take no issue with that portion of the process because I have seen from personal experience what happens when people with no technical knowledge are hired. There were written questions and you had to explain your justification for your answers. There was also an in-person panel interview and a written essay question.

There was no follow-up after the interview. I contacted them 7 weeks after the interview and was told all the candidates scored the same overall score. They have four empty Senior Structural Engineer positions and to my knowledge, not one of them has been filled. I would not be surprised if they were using the fake interview process to justify promoting someone within their company. After all, I was made to resubmit their application because it was late by one single day.

Based on my interview process, I would not be surprised at how poorly this organization was run. Not getting back to people after interviewing is proof of a poorly run organization. If you choose to interview with this government agency, be aware you may be wasting your time.

Interview Questions

• There were lots of technical questions. There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources.

Interview

Took several months to hear back after initial application. Generic interview questions followed by questions more specific to the position. Interviewers took notes most of the time. After the interview I was offered the position within the next week.

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources in May 2017.

Interview

The engineers will ask your technical questions and Hr will ask you some behavioural. They will draw a circuit on the board and ask you to solve it. you will have to stand up and solve it in front of them

Interview Questions

• find the current of resistor one in the following circuit   Answer Question

Environmental Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Panel interview, 3 people, set questions about skills and outlook. All sat at a conference table. Everyone was friendly and it was pretty casual. I had fun, the people running it seemed vaguely relaxed, I don’t know if they had already selected someone or not but I was surprised how easy it was.

Interview Questions

• Asked to walk them through a site visit   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied by mail. Took a 1 hr test with some electrical engineering fundamentals, some MATLAB, some statistics... Not too bad. Followed by a 1 hour interview with all types of questions from mainly situational to some behavioral, and a fun logic problem. Most important is to research a background on CDWR as well as what your job duties entail.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when everybody disagreed with you and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

They have you take a test first. It includes simple electrical engineering questions, and some simple programming questions. You should know Matlab code and VBA at least. The interview itself is very structure. Each person takes a turn asking a question, and its super generic like What do you know about the company, What was a challenge for you etc.

Interview Questions

• What what a challenge you had and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by three people. They gave me a paper with questions on it that they were going to ask. All very easy questions about experience. Then i was asked to do a small written assignment. My first interview for a government job.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-5 what is you experience with (office programs).   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Submitted my resume online, and was called in for an interview. Panel of 3 interviewers asking general engineering questions, background in water resources, courses being taken, and goals. It was a pretty generic interview, and the entire office didn't have a lively vibe.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

- Ridiculously formal and cold
    - Awkward, no-feedback Q&A
    - No opportunity to ask detailed questions or learn about peer group
    - "No wrong answer" style, so you just blurt out everything you can think of
    - Absolutely no way to discern actual day-to-day job

Interview Questions

• - Describe how your experience applies to the role
      - Tell us about a time you had conflict and how you resolved it
      - Very basic engineering questions (describe a hydroelectric generation plant)
      - Tell us about a project you worked on that applies to this job   Answer Question
    • Typed question regarding how you would troubleshoot a mechanical problem   Answer Question

Engineer, Water Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California Department of Water Resources (Sacramento, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

The interview was an overall hydraulics and hydrology questionnaire. Most of the questions pertained to flooding and levees since the position was with Flood Management. There were 3 interviewers at the table and after the interview there was a short written letter question. The culture is much like all other state office, very old.