California State Board of Equalization Interview Questions | Glassdoor

California State Board of Equalization Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

Tax Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization (Santa Clarita, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by a panel of two hiring managers; they asked prepared questions alternatively and there was a mathematics, pattern questions during the interview timed and not timed. They had about 28 people to be interviewed for 2 openings.

Interview Questions

• They asked situational question. Describe a situation where you had a difficult interaction with a client and what did you do to resolve it with a positive outcome.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization (Riverside, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviewed for an auditing internship. Panel interview with 3 senior tax auditors. Presented a sheet of paper with all of the questions they would ask during the interview. Took turns asking the questions and gave time at the end to add anything that was not asked during the interview.

Tax Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization.

Interview

The interview is decent. A panel of individuals will ask general questions ( scenario /behavior based), then move on to technical questions ( tax related). Read the duty statement and review publications pertaining to the tax program your position will deal with ( can be found on the BOE website ) before the interview. After the Panel throws a bunch of questions at you , the next second portion of the interview will be written ( to assess your writing ability). overall Good interview- Not to hard or to easy!

Interview Questions

• Read above. cant remember the exact questions that were asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

After completing the initial application process I was called in to take an exam which consisted of accounting, computer software, and regulation review questions.
    A week later I was called into an interview and was asked several questions both about myself and my work experiences. None about auditing. Still waiting to see if I will receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the BOE?   1 Answer

Tax Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in January 2016.

Interview

Submit application through jobs.ca.gov. Waited about a month before any contact. Phone interview first, then in person with 3 people. This is average when you compare to others entry level interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: What makes your qualify for the job?
      Q: How to you handle a tough situation?
      Q: How do you work with others?

Basic STAR format question, typical for entry level position.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in December 2015.

Interview

The panel asked a lot of situational questions and pressed for more information regarding your answers. It almost felt as if they were trying to make you say something wrong, which was really nerve wracking. Talked to previous student assistants and they all agreed that it felt like we were being interrogated.

Interview Questions

• As a leader, what was one mistake you made and could not fix?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization.

Interview

One phone interview and I was offered the position. The questions were pretty simple. Since this was an unpaid internship, it was meant to give students the opportunity while also helping with workload.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization (Irvine, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted standard state application after seeing post on VPOS. Post requested application and unofficial transcripts be sent to email address provided. Received call from Hiring manager about 2 weeks later to come in for an interview. Before face to face interview started, I was to write an essay on how my experience and education would be valuable to them. The essay was timed at 30 minutes and then I was directed to the interview room where there were 3 interviewers. They each asked about 3-4 typical interview questions. After the interview I was informed I would be contacted should I fit their qualifications. I didn't receive a call until about 3 weeks later, and was offered the position. Started working the next week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were given an assignment were the criteria was constantly changing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization (Orange, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

application and phone interview. Had short written exam. It was about writing essay on why you qualify for the job. And the interview was with three people and mainly behavioral questions.

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization.

Interview

They first asked for a resume, cover letter, and multiple forms, along with an official transcript. It took a couple months for them to get back to me. They asked to schedule an interview the next day. The interview was a group interview with just a few questions and opportunity for you to ask questions. Overall, it was an average experience. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you have to juggle multiple things and how did you prioritize your tasks?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the organization and its goals?   1 Answer