Caltrans Environmental Planner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caltrans Environmental Planner Interview Questions

3.6

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Environmental Planner Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caltrans.

Interview

Very professional. Interviewed and heard back in a few weeks. 3 person panel. Was given a copy of the questions to look at as they were asked.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Caltrans

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caltrans (Marysville, CA).

Interview

The process began with an online "test" (questionnaire) regarding qualifications to place you on an eligibility list. Received 95% and was ranked in the first list of eligibility. Received call for interview about 2-3 months later. Interview panel of 2 with a series of 6 questions asked. The questions were fairly general discussing qualifications, experience in team setting, ability to multitask, writing skills, & a reiteration of why you're a good fit for the position. As you speak your answers they write and don't say very much or ask many follow up questions to your responses. The questions are also there for you to read along as they ask.

Interview Questions

• Upon reconstruction of a bridge over a river what types of issues/impacts would you expect to encounter, what types of documents would you need to prepare, what would be your role(s)/responsibilities in the project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltrans (Stockton, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

applied online by taking an assessment test. Was called for an interview about a week later.
    Interview panel had 3 people, only 1 tolerated being there. My future boss texted during the interview, hardly paying attention to my answers.
    After the interview, met 2 of the interviewers outside the room. Both were kind, sweet and friendly. Complete 180 from the interview.

Was asked if I ever worked with endangered species, and to explain what federal and state environmental laws apply to CalTrans work.

Interview Questions

• What did you do to prepare for this interview   Answer Question
    • Name the federal and state environmental laws as they apply to the work of Caltrans   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Caltrans (Oakland, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

There was a standard interview following an online application that required me to come in to meet with a few staff people. You were required to check in at the first floor with security and proceed to the applicable floor, but you felt somewhat persecuted from just entering the building. It was not a very welcoming experience.

Interview Questions

• My level of experience with CEQA and NEPA.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltrans (San Diego, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

The hiring process started off with an online self-assessment to pre rank yourself. If you ranked high enough for an interview you are contacted to set up a time.

The interview process was 2 parts; written and oral. The written part of the interview was 20 minutes and it was a scenario that you had to talk about the environmental process of a proposed project. The oral portion of the interview was a 3 person panel interview where different questions were asked about yourself, experience and education.

Interview Questions

• Please name all acronyms that you know in the environmental field and explain what they are for.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations at all

Environmental Planner Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltrans in April 2012.

Interview

The interview process was very rigid, seven questions which were asked to all candidates over thirty minutes. No follow up questions (I suspect they were not permitted) throughout, and lots of writing going on while the interview took place. Once the "Do you have any questions for the panel?" question was asked, the interviewers finally were allowed to have personality and were all very nice people. Quality folks, I just wish I had been extended an offer - but all part of the game.

Interview Questions

• How has your educational and professional background prepared you for this position?   Answer Question
    • Please explain your strengths and weaknesses as they relate to written and verbal communication   Answer Question
    • Please describe all of the acronyms you know as they relate to Environmental Planning   Answer Question
    • The environmental process took longer than expected for a project and has jeopardized funding for a Local Agency's project. The Local Agency Director is angry and blaming you for this. How do you handle this and how do you prevent this from happening in the future?   Answer Question
    • An engineer missed a deadline writing a technical report for a project. This missed deadline has jeopardized the funding of the entire project. How do you handle this and how do you prevent this from happening in the future?   Answer Question

Environmental Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caltrans in January 2008.

Interview

First online test, then on-site technical test and finally Board interview.

Interview Questions

• Ask for "real world" example for Environmental assessment.   Answer Question