Calvin College Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Calvin College Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2017

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Calvin College.

Interview

Passing the class with a good grade is the interview process. A reference from the professor who taught the class helps. In my first job, my professor asked me to conciser being his grader. In my second, I was hired for being the only volunteer.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to be my ENGR 303 grader?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Calvin College.

Interview

standard interview process with submitting online application first and waiting 3-4 weeks to hear about a possible interview. Interview was with director and assistant as well as an assistant from another department.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite part of your job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Calvin College.

Interview

My first interview was a phone screen with the HR Department. This was a very basic 30 minute phone call asking about my qualifications. The second was a final interview about 2 hours long with 4 panel teams of 3-4 people. The second interview was very intense but it gave me a great idea of how the position was viewed across multiple departments at the College. It was also well organized- everyone had a list of questions they wanted to ask and a copy of my resume that they had obviously reviewed before speaking with me.

Interview Questions

• Before we end this interview, what are the most important things about you that you would like us to remember?   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Calvin College (Grand Rapids, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

It was intense. There was an initial interview with a group of resident directors, then there was a second level mass group interview. The mass group interview was also very interactive as there were over 100 other applicants, We were all placed in groups and went from one room/station to another performing different tasks together and reacting to various staged situations as a group. Finally, the third round was a training round for those who made it.

Interview Questions

• Give an instance of a conflict that occurred and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Student Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Calvin College (Grand Rapids, MI) in September 2013.

Interview

Brief interview asking about administrative experience and goals for working in the department. Very conversational and friendly. I think they had narrowed down applicants already and were focused on finding a person who was a good personality fit with the current staff. Most questions were very basic interview questions for secretarial work (any office experience?, have you worked with people?, what is your typing speed? etc.) Very comfortable environment and friendly interviewers

Interview Questions

• What experiences do you have working in an office environment?   Answer Question

Interview

No formal interview. Met with the three professors I applied to work with and submitted an application online. I was hired by my second choice Professor, who taught one of my classes at the time and had talked to me informally after classes and during his office hours.

Don't underestimate the power of casual interaction with professors! If they know you a bit better they will feel more comfortable hiring you than if you just filled out the basic online application.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Calvin pays researchers a flat stipend for summer research and 8.50/hour for work during the year.

Director of Communications & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I interviewed at Calvin College (Grand Rapids, MI) in May 2010.

Interview

Many phases of group interview by committee. Truly academic in its approach. Faculty governance and issue, though not unique. New position had not been sold in conceptually.

Negotiation

Not very flexible