Calypso Technology Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

2.5

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and received a recruiter call after several weeks of applying. The recruiter scheduled a phone call which was a casual chat (at least thats what i assumed). The day they called me, I was expecting just the recruiter talking about the company and stuff but I could sense the call was on loud speaker and there were more than one people on the call. I could hear whispering or change of voices.
    During the call they asked me if I mind answering few java questions. I said yes. And it more or less turned into technical interview. They asked like 12-13 questions on Java like a rapid fire round. I skipped one and answered all others.
    After the questions, they asked my salary expectations and told me they cannot match what I am expecting. I said ok. And then they never got back to me.

Interview Questions

• Some questions were:
      1. JVM vs JRE VS JDK
      11. JMS
      12. Range of int
      13. What is immutable object   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview process consisted of 2 stages: Phone interview followed by onsite interview. Phone interview lasted for 45-60 mins and focused on questions about my prior experience and some basic tech questions (collections, list, set, transient). My onsite interview was taken by different members of the team where the position was based. The questions focused on design patterns and specific solution to the problems given.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a call from a Calypso recruiter. After the recruiter screening, I was invited to come to the San Francisco office for in-person interviewing. When I arrived at the office, I first met with the hiring manager. Afterwards, I also met with three different technical writers. All interviewers were friendly. The office is located downtown and above a BART station for easy commuting.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle multiple jobs at the same time?
      Would mundane portions of documentation be okay for you to work on?
      Do you perform well under tight deadlines.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty long almost around 2 months due to holiday season.. Below are the steps
    1) HR contacted me via Email.
    2) Phone Interview - +ve feedback received the 1-2 days
    3) On Site Interview with New York Team - 2- 3 hours ( 4 -5 people)
       a) First interview was with Business side person - Was interesting and got all possible info about the project and the need for hire and about the company.
       b) Second was technical white boarding session. ( I found it easy)
       c) Third was again technical written Java test ( If you are Sun certified should be easy)
       d) Fourth was with a Project Manager
       e) 5-10 min with HR

4) Received +ve feedback again in 1-2 days and then set up a date after one month for another onsite interview in San Francisco Office ( one night Hotel + Flight tickets paid by company)

5) Onsite Interview with San Fran team was again for around 3 hours (4-5 people)
      a) First interview was again with the Same business person with NY where again i learnt more about the project and company.
      b) Second interview was pretty technical - core java and understanding of other technologies. They check how passionate you are about technologies
      c) Third interview was white boarding on a use case of online shopping Application like Amazon.. I enjoyed this as well and answered all questions.
      d) Fourth interview was with the 20% tech and 80% finance - Questions asked about options , Commodities, Bond Pricing etc..
      e) The the hiring manager /director which was like lunch and interview .. more on behavioral .

6) Received the feedback in 3-4 days.
    7) Negotiations for 1 week + on Salary and other logistics like Visa sponsorship ,relocation etc..
    8) Emailed offer Letter ..

My overall experience was pretty good. People here are friendly and welcoming.. They know what they are doing and what kind of people they are looking for.. I would say salary is ok ( 5-10 k less then market) not that great but i liked the project more so went for it..

Negotiation

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The HR called for the HR interview discussing the overall work experience. This was followed by a technical interview where the resume was discussed and a few tasks were given to solve and a limited time was allocated to solve the task.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

The first half of the interview process was great. After doing two phone interviews, I was invited to the San Francisco office to do four in-person interviews. My accommodation in the city was great and everyone was very nice. The interview itself was mostly about my previous experience and discussion how I can bring my expertise to contribute to the company.
    After the in-office interview, I flew back home and waited for their final decision. The recruiter notified me that I am one of the finalists and they'll be making a final decision shortly. After a few weeks, they wanted me to interview with a few more people before making a final decision, which I was happy to do.
    For about a month following my last interview, I've lost count of how many follow up emails I've sent. After receiving another firm from a different employer, I wasn't very happy with the lack of information coming back from Calypso. After much consideration, I declined to continue my application process and took the competing offer from a different company. I never received any response from Calypso after that.

The overall experience was unorganized and stressful.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview conversation was about some of the projects I've worked on and walking through what I would recommend on a certain situation to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Associate Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

For morning session, all candidates were required to do a presentation about their education and work experience in front of the interview panel and other candidates. The presentations were followed by a test on basic finance knowledge (with a focus on derivatives). Lunch was provided. For afternoon sessions, there were 2-3 one-on-one interview sessions with manager / associate currently work in the business analyst program.

Interview Questions

Most decision factor in declining this offer is that employees and candidates were not very impressive at all. During the presentation, some candidates answered the question of "Why Calypso" by elaborating on how Calypso has great pay and benefit, which is clearly rookie mistake in interviewing and some other candidates can barely speak English. Interviewers did not ask very intelligent questions and have background in non brand name colleague / MBA programs. Office space is very run-down and overall not a high-caliber organization to learn and grow for entry-level candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter who as quick to set up the phone screen. Had an elaborate phone screen with two different teams.

Questions were asked on basic java caoncepts, drools concepts, Spring AppContext, Transient variable, volatile, cartisian product, linked list vs arraylist, hashmap vs hashtable vs hashset, design pattern, iterator pattern.

The interviews went quite well and were supposed to set up an in person interview. However, there were some changes and the requirement was put on hold. The recruiter was courteous enough to let me know the situation instead of leaving me hanging for an answer.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

The in-person interviews with senior managers were brief and to the point. Focus of the 2 interviews I had were on which banks had I worked with and the types of projects I managed.

Interview Questions

• Do you like world-cup soccer? (Asked after giving a 5-minute elevator pitch about my skills and experience)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was offered an interview over email very randomly. I handed my resume to a recruiter over a year ago at a career fair, and never expected a response, but there it was in my email, right before I was about to graduate.

The interview for NGT required a powerpoint presentation about myself, then taking a finance written quiz, and if you passed, you were allowed to actually interview. There were 3 interviews, two of which had 2 people interviewing me and one of which was just with the potential manager. Interview questions were straightforward, none of that fitting tennis balls into an airplane stuff. Word of advice: the company is a technology company, NOT finance company. If you are a finance/econ major, don't flaunt your finance knowledge or experience as if it matters that much. Make sure you show interest in the technology aspect of the company as that is pretty much 80% of what you will be working with as an employee.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

At the end of my last interview of the day, an HR person came in and talked salary and told me they'd get back to me in a week. I got a call a week later with an offer a little bit above what I asked for, and 100% paid for health benefits. I accepted very soon after that call.