Cambridge Associates, LLC Consulting Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Consulting Associate Interview Questions

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in November 2010.

Interview

Very straight forward - cycle through several of employees then a case study with very basic investments

Interview Questions

• What would you do with a million dollars?   Answer Question
  • If you had perfect foresight and it was Jan 1, 2009 what woudl you invest in?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Dallas, TX) in June 2010.

Interview

Sent cover letter and resume to recruiter. Heard back and arranged for a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Standard questions covering resume, background, and how picked university, etc. Heard back and invited to Branch for the final interview.

At branch: 3 hours interview process. Mostly one-on-one and had a short case to analyze (20 mins). Basically risk-return graphs and to see if you understand basic finance/investments. Interviews briefed over resume, but were mostly looking for a "fit"with local branch. All in all, be sure you can explain that you are proficient with with excel (vlookup, vba, etc), that you can handle the work-load, and you are a good fit with the rest of the branch.

Heard back within 2 weeks via email, about rejection. Also, firm does not reimburse for gas, provide lunch, etc.

Interview Questions

• What are your plans in the future, say 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in November 2009.

Interview

First I applied through a listing on my school website. Then I had a phone screening interview where we walked through my resume and they answered some basic questions about the company. Then a few weeks later I got invited to come in for an inperson 1:1 interview. I thought this went well however about a month after I still hadnt heard anything and found out they had moved on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you struggled in a team working situation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in September 2009.

Interview

The first round was a 30 minute experience interview. Very casual and relaxed:all standard questions: why my university, major, past work, why Cambridge, etc.
    Second round was in their Boston offices. 5 30 min interviews + lunch. Interview topics: academics, work, a case (walk-though), analyze an article and finally why Cambridge/Investment Consulting.

Interview Questions

• The case was about assuming the role of a university endowment and then deciding how to choose a manager, how to pick a portfolio...basically analyzing risk/return graphs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in August 2009.

Interview

This was a standard interview with some exercises to test basic investment knowledge. The interview is composed of 5 meetings with current CA team.

Consulting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

They will email you to get a time with you for a phone interview. During the phone interview, you will be asked to go through your resume. There will also be HR questions like the kind of jobs you look out for, the reason you chose the role and what do you know about Cambridge Associate. Interviewer from Cambridge Associates is friendly.

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Changping, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Changping, Beijing (China)) in January 2013.

Interview

Background:
    The position is for their newly opened Beijing office

I send my resume through email. Three weeks later, I recieved a phone call to set me up for a phone interivew and to inform me the approximate length of the interview (30 mins).

1st round : The call came on time. The interviewer begins with "tell me something about youself" and then perceed to the usual resume runthrough, and then ask a few behavior questions like: what are your strength? Later switch to general questions about the company just to see if you have done any research on the company and investment consulting industry in general. "what are Cambridge Associates' competitors?", "why do you want a career in investment consulting?"
    My general impression is that they want to see if you are serious enough about the a career in investment consulting. the entire process took about 17 mins. I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the 2nd round.

2nd round: the 2nd round consists of a written test and a case study ( not the case study you see for management consulting firms) More behavior questions but this time it goes really deep. you have 20 mins for the written test. I was given two topics. One is to write some afterthought on the recent finance related news I read, and the other one is to write the steps you will take to communicate with institutional clients. I took choice number one.
    The case study has lots of materials. One of the consultant walks me through the entire process. It was about how to pick stocks, managers for institutional clients. ( sharpe ratio, diversifcations, athrimatrical means, covarience, effiency porfolio frontier) There were many graphes to get you going, but i kept thinking afterward that it is almost impossible to keep saying the right answers if I did not major in Finance. Afterwards, I met the other two staff ( small operation) mostly they want to see if you are a good fit for the firm and if you want to stay in Investment Consulting for long. (behavior questions go deeper)

Again, I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the next round.

3rd round: By this stage, I guess the job has come down to only a few candidates (3 or 4) and I know that I have to distinguish myself, but I really don't know how. I know everyone on the shortlist must have the same problem. Anyhow, I prepare the best I could. The first half of the interiew was with someone I think would be the direct supervisor of this position. The qustions are like the ones I encountered on the 2nd interiew, but some easy questions related to Finance as well. The other half of the interview was with the director of the consulting group. Again, More behavior questions like round 2.

Overall, the interviewers were very pleasant and respectful. Most questions are aimed to discover whether your goals and interests are in line with the company's.

Interview Questions

• why not going into investment management why investment consulting? why more spread money among more portfolio managers can achieve better diversification.   1 Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

1 phone interview with behavioral questions and onsite interview which consists of 5 small interviews. not typical case interview

Consulting Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

standard fit questions, mainly for the first round. also a mini case at the about asset management.

Interview Questions

• nothing out of the ordinary. why investment consulting, why CA, how does your background make you a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

The first interview was through my school. It was only a half an hour, and really just a fit interview, nothing much to worry about. There was a very short case. Only a graph with just one question. I didn't have any financial background, but they knew that with me going in, so I talked my way through it and asked questions.

I got a second round which was at their office in Menlo Park. It was from 9 in the morning until around 2, lunch included. Five interviews and then lunch is a pretty long day. Didn't get a tour of the office which is weird for such a small place. First interview was behavioral, second was my background, third was why do you want to work here, fourth was a longer 40 minute case and the last was talking about an article.

Everyone was really nice except for the "why do you want to work here" interviewer. Apparently no matter how I answered that question it was not good enough for him. We spent around 20 minutes on it. They knew I had no finance background going in (I'm a physics major), but proceeded to say that since I had no background, how did I know I would like it or even be any good at it. I field questions pretty well if I say so myself, but at the end of this, I was just wondering why they invited me up in the first place if they thought I was unfit for the job.

Also, lunch was awkward. It was with a girl my age who had just started work there 6 months ago. She honestly had nothing to say and I had to carry the whole conversation for myself. Nice, but just dull...

While it was a good experience, I am disappointed that I drove 6 hours each way to talk with them when I feel that they didn't take me seriously. They knew I didn't have a finance background to begin with so it is a little annoying that this was such a big holdup for them. Also, there is no compensation for travel, which can be annoying when other consulting firms will do anything to get you there.

Interview Questions

• You really have to know why you love finance, and why you want to work there.   Answer Question