Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2017

211 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

1. Telephone interview with HR in Boston. Cordial chat, typical questions: why FS? why CA? Tell me about yourself.

2. Invited to Super Day. 6 people started the day, after lunch 3 people were cut. Interviews involved with being interviewed by associate directors, senior investment associates and directors in charge of the different sectors of work. There were also maths, literacy and writing tests.

3. Invited to interview with head of sector I was applying for. Additionally had interviews with an associate director and the MD of the sector. MD interview involved an investment game, a probability riddle/quiz and competency questions.

Phase 3 was incredible tough - toughest interview ever had to do. Really wanted to test how you performed under pressure. All in all good process.

Interview Questions

• Describe the pension fund process? What is to be done in the current environment to try increase funding level status?   1 Answer

Junior Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process is somewhat grueling. It's about 3 1/2 - 4 hours long. Know the specifics about the role that you are applying for; they will ask you to describe it in full detail. For the most part, everyone seemed incredibly kind, only one interviewer (out of the five) gave me a negative impression of the company. The questions were pretty basic, but they'll ask you the same question in a different wording more than once, so watch out for that.

Interview Questions

• Q: What can you tell me about the position you are applying for and how it relates to the rest of the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Surprisingly rude. Although it may have been that my interview was at the very end of the day, was surprised how they handled the interview. Would not want to work here based on how they handled themselves.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with one of the recruiters. She asked a lot of questions about my background, work experience and about the company. Be prepared and do a lot of research on the company background, mission, goals and strategies. It was a 30 minutes phone call and it ended when she found out I need sponsorship later. No internship if you need sponsorship in the future. It is just their company rules.

Interview Questions

• What are the specific client that CA works with? What do you find attractive about CA? How would you describe CA to other people? Why investment? How did you choose your school, major? What is your key of success in a team? Describe the challenge you encountered in a team work.   Answer Question

Junior Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

An interview where I met with 8 people, of all different staff levels. First they present their business to you and how it works. Later they ask you questions based on what they tell you, so pay close attention. There weren't too many skill based questions, more personality ones.

Interview Questions

• Explain the inter workings of Cambridge Associates, such as which teams work with who and in what order. (they describe this in their initial presentation to you)

Be able to describe their founding, year, name, locations... simple but important background information   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

HR called me for a phone screen. He was nice and phone questions where easy, but the whole process was rushed and there wasn't enough notice for the following in person interview. The in person interview day was long but everyone asked pretty normal interview questions. Some of the interviews were nicer than others, but no one was gruff or rude. HR said they would get back to me in a few days, but he never notified me of their decision, despite my attempt to reach out to him.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Received an email about 4 days later requesting a phone screen. Phone interview was very basic, just ran down my resume. Received an email the next day requesting an interview. It was a super day format where you go in, watch a presentation, and 3 30 minute interviews with managers. The rooms were supposed to be asking different questions, however, it seemed like they were all repeating questions. 2/3 rooms were very cold, with questions being rapid fired.

Interview Questions

• They open the job up to all majors, but wanted a detailed explanation of exactly how they operated.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA).

Interview

Recent college grad from a top tier liberal arts school. Submitted my cover letter, resume, and transcript to C|A through my school's career website. Little to no financial services/investment management experience and majored in a non-finance field of study, but I received an email for a short (20-30 min) first round phone interview shortly after (<1 week). The phone interview was very conversational, easy-going, and only contained behavioral questions. Just make sure you prepare and know why you want to work for C|A and in the position you applied for. Also asked me about why I chose my school and my major. Immediately after my interviewer finished asking her questions and I asked some of my own, she invited me to C|A's Super Day in Boston.

C|A's Boston office was incredibly easy to find and when I arrived there was a short wait in the lobby with about 6-7 other candidates. The first step was a bagel breakfast, where the candidates listened to a short presentation about C|A by an Investment Director (~15 mins). Then the floor was opened for a short Q&A with the ID and the some current Investment Associates who were also in the room, and who were also going to be interviewing the candidates. Make sure you ask a question, as it will make you standout. I was originally told the first step would be a 45-60 min powerpoint on the firm, so I was a bit surprised by this departure.

After the ID presentation was over, each candidate split off with a current IA/interviewer for a 1-1 30 min interview. Over the course of the day, I had 4-30 min interviews. The first was behavioral (very informal/conversational) that focused on my educational background. The second was a case component. The third was also a case component. The last was another behavioral that focused on why I wanted to work at C|A and as an IA (interviewer was visibly disinterested/standoffish). I read beforehand that each interviewer adopts a different persona (very nice, neutral, uninterested/brash) and I definitely saw it during the interviews. Don't let it rile you though, it is a way for them to see how you handle stress/different personalities. After I was finished with those, I went on a 40 min lunch with a current IA to speak more with someone who has firsthand experience with the position.

Despite what I thought was a very good Super Day performance (I had scoured the web for insights on the process and had learned all the technical concepts I knew were coming in the interview), I unfortunately was called back about 3 business days after my interview and told that they were moving in a different direction. Overall, it was a very pleasant and educational experience, but I am very disappointed and a bit confused as to why I didn't get an offer. Live and learn, though.

Interview Questions

• While C|A doesn't expect prospective IA's to have a lot of financial/investment management experience (a ton of their IA's are liberal arts grads from non-finance backgrounds), there is a significant case component to the Super Day. Make sure you understand correlation, standard deviation, and the Sharpe Ratio very well. Being well read on recent financial news is always a good idea as well.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an interview at school and was then called back for a "super day" at their office. They took me out to lunch and then put me and two other candidates through an hour long information session followed by 2 hours of interviews with four different people.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of generic questions about your personality and why you wanted to join Cambridge   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Interview

I had a two part processes with an on-campus interview followed by a super interview consisting of 4 interviews. The entire process was quick and after my first interview the recruiter contacted me within 3 days. The interview on campus was mostly resume based questions and pretty typical as far as job interviews go. The super day was pretty long and had many more in-depth and behavior questions.

CA offers candidates traveling 100-500 miles up to $300 reimbursement and those travelling 500+ miles $600 reimbursement for the super interview day, so keep your receipts.

Interview Questions

• What drives you most - fear of failure or love of success?   Answer Question