Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 8, 2018

304 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Junior Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process is somewhat grueling. It's about 3 1/2 - 4 hours long. Know the specifics about the role that you are applying for; they will ask you to describe it in full detail. For the most part, everyone seemed incredibly kind, only one interviewer (out of the five) gave me a negative impression of the company. The questions were pretty basic, but they'll ask you the same question in a different wording more than once, so watch out for that.

Interview Questions

• Q: What can you tell me about the position you are applying for and how it relates to the rest of the company?   1 Answer

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Fairly long process, took over a month. But they were among a change in recruiters. Applied online. I had a first round phone interview followed by a super day with 4 45 minute interviews and a lunch.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone interview: Mostly a casual conversation with HR. Nothing technical, why C|A, why finance?
    I am told that I will be moved to a superday. Then the recruiter reaches out and tells me that the role was filled by a former intern, but they have an opening in the San Francisco office, if I am still interested(previously Dallas).
    Total of 4 interviews, 3 with associates and 1 with the team lead.
    2 interviews were behavioral/resume based, why C|A, why finance. Interviewers clearly have a standardized list of questions, almost word for word with other people on glassdoor.
    3rd Interview: Given a 1 pg. summary of a fund manager asked whether or not to end the relationship, all the while explaining to your interviewer your thought process. Followed by being handed a laptop and told to draft a formal email to a client with the decision you made.
    4th interview: Given a collection of charts and stats regarding creating a portfolio for a hypothetical university endowment fund. Again, discuss your thought process with your interviewer. Much less intimidating than I expected, this part was actually refreshing compared to the rest of the interviews, just make sure you know the efficient horizon, Sharpe ratio, basic portfolio theory, keep client goals in mind. The only frustrating aspect was that the interviewer was not nearly as engaging as the others had been, which was a bit discouraging because it was my favorite part.
    5th Interview/Lunch: After the 4th interview another associate that hadn't interviewed you that day took you to lunch in the city and engaged in informal questioning(why San Fran, what do you do for fun, etc.)
    Conclusion: Overall nothing to be worried about as far as superdays go. A very collegiate atmosphere, nice people, salary $60k, respectable firm.

Interview Questions

• Reputable hedge fund manager had a poor performance this year, considering other factors given, should we eliminate him from client portfolios?   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC).

Interview

Brief in-person interview followed by a "super-day" interview. Dey began at noon with lunch with someone who currently holds the position, followed by a 1-hr overview of the company, followed by 4, 30-min interviews back-to-back (one being a case interview). The case interview was pretty straightforward. The interviews themselves asked a lot of meta questions about what motivates you, how you would deal with a hypothetical situation, etc. Nothing too bad, interviewers were nice enough. Interviewing for so long does get tiring, make sure to take water breaks. The most aggrivating part was that it took 3 weeks for the hiring manager to get back to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA).

Interview

Easy, everyone was super friendly. Really enjoyed my time there. Questions were mostly behavioral with one case study that was very easy and straightforward. Took me out to coffee afterwards with a recently hired associate. All my interviewers were very young and easy to relate to, just wanted to get to know more about my background and why I was interested in CA. Written test at the end as well was extremely simple, just writing an email to test your professional writing skills.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

For the SF office super day there it was a case interview. They asked about emerging markets, asset allocation, diversification, and portfolio management. You are provided a lot of data about prospective fund managers and you have to give your formal recommendation at the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA).

Interview

Easy experience going in and talking through behavioral questions on campus. Super day involved going to their office in Boston where one interview contained a case portfolio. Not a lot of time to read through it as it was supposed to reflect a "walk-through" environment.

Inter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Had a first-round over the phone that lasted roughly 30 min. Mostly fit and questions regarding interest in investing. Overall easy going and pleasant. Was offered a final round for the SF office and they flew me there to interview. Final round was also very easy going and mostly fit based, but one of the three interviews was case based.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2017.

Interview

Approximately two weeks after I submitted an online application, I received an invitation to have a phone interview with a representative from human resources. That interview was later that week and took about half an hour. I heard two weeks later I was not being brought in for an in person review.

Interview Questions

• They asked specific questions about technical experience, which was a bit of a surprise since it was an HR round.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Nashville, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

I attended two information sessions on my campus; they were held by a group of on-campus representatives including alumni. I applied through my university employer-connection website and was contacted for an interview within a 10-day time frame. The interview was in my campus career center and was conducted by a single FTE who I had met during the info sessions. All behavioral questions, except for some general industry knowledge questions (e.g. Tell me about a recent macroeconomic trend).

Overall average experience - the interviewer was cordial, and though my background is not in finance, she gave me space to speak about why I wanted to be at CA.