Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

Junior Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

An interview where I met with 8 people, of all different staff levels. First they present their business to you and how it works. Later they ask you questions based on what they tell you, so pay close attention. There weren't too many skill based questions, more personality ones.

Interview Questions

• Explain the inter workings of Cambridge Associates, such as which teams work with who and in what order. (they describe this in their initial presentation to you)

Be able to describe their founding, year, name, locations... simple but important background information
      Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

HR called me for a phone screen. He was nice and phone questions where easy, but the whole process was rushed and there wasn't enough notice for the following in person interview. The in person interview day was long but everyone asked pretty normal interview questions. Some of the interviews were nicer than others, but no one was gruff or rude. HR said they would get back to me in a few days, but he never notified me of their decision, despite my attempt to reach out to him.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

extensive process for the position, interviewed with 20 people over 3 separate days, one on one with managers and group interviews with peers. very behavioral and they want to make sure you dont leave the firm within a year. the overall experience was okay.

Interview Questions

• normal questions, why cambridge, strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Received an email about 4 days later requesting a phone screen. Phone interview was very basic, just ran down my resume. Received an email the next day requesting an interview. It was a super day format where you go in, watch a presentation, and 3 30 minute interviews with managers. The rooms were supposed to be asking different questions, however, it seemed like they were all repeating questions. 2/3 rooms were very cold, with questions being rapid fired.

Interview Questions

• They open the job up to all majors, but wanted a detailed explanation of exactly how they operated.   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA).

Interview

Recent college grad from a top tier liberal arts school. Submitted my cover letter, resume, and transcript to C|A through my school's career website. Little to no financial services/investment management experience and majored in a non-finance field of study, but I received an email for a short (20-30 min) first round phone interview shortly after (<1 week). The phone interview was very conversational, easy-going, and only contained behavioral questions. Just make sure you prepare and know why you want to work for C|A and in the position you applied for. Also asked me about why I chose my school and my major. Immediately after my interviewer finished asking her questions and I asked some of my own, she invited me to C|A's Super Day in Boston.

C|A's Boston office was incredibly easy to find and when I arrived there was a short wait in the lobby with about 6-7 other candidates. The first step was a bagel breakfast, where the candidates listened to a short presentation about C|A by an Investment Director (~15 mins). Then the floor was opened for a short Q&A with the ID and the some current Investment Associates who were also in the room, and who were also going to be interviewing the candidates. Make sure you ask a question, as it will make you standout. I was originally told the first step would be a 45-60 min powerpoint on the firm, so I was a bit surprised by this departure.

After the ID presentation was over, each candidate split off with a current IA/interviewer for a 1-1 30 min interview. Over the course of the day, I had 4-30 min interviews. The first was behavioral (very informal/conversational) that focused on my educational background. The second was a case component. The third was also a case component. The last was another behavioral that focused on why I wanted to work at C|A and as an IA (interviewer was visibly disinterested/standoffish). I read beforehand that each interviewer adopts a different persona (very nice, neutral, uninterested/brash) and I definitely saw it during the interviews. Don't let it rile you though, it is a way for them to see how you handle stress/different personalities. After I was finished with those, I went on a 40 min lunch with a current IA to speak more with someone who has firsthand experience with the position.

Despite what I thought was a very good Super Day performance (I had scoured the web for insights on the process and had learned all the technical concepts I knew were coming in the interview), I unfortunately was called back about 3 business days after my interview and told that they were moving in a different direction. Overall, it was a very pleasant and educational experience, but I am very disappointed and a bit confused as to why I didn't get an offer. Live and learn, though.

Interview Questions

• While C|A doesn't expect prospective IA's to have a lot of financial/investment management experience (a ton of their IA's are liberal arts grads from non-finance backgrounds), there is a significant case component to the Super Day. Make sure you understand correlation, standard deviation, and the Sharpe Ratio very well. Being well read on recent financial news is always a good idea as well.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an interview at school and was then called back for a "super day" at their office. They took me out to lunch and then put me and two other candidates through an hour long information session followed by 2 hours of interviews with four different people.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of generic questions about your personality and why you wanted to join Cambridge   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Interview

I had a two part processes with an on-campus interview followed by a super interview consisting of 4 interviews. The entire process was quick and after my first interview the recruiter contacted me within 3 days. The interview on campus was mostly resume based questions and pretty typical as far as job interviews go. The super day was pretty long and had many more in-depth and behavior questions.

CA offers candidates traveling 100-500 miles up to $300 reimbursement and those travelling 500+ miles $600 reimbursement for the super interview day, so keep your receipts.

Interview Questions

• What drives you most - fear of failure or love of success?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2014.

Interview

The phone interview was very straightforward and basic - the recruiter asked me to go through my resume and asked the unavoidable "tell me about yourself" question. The goal here was to be able to relate each experience on your resume back to the responsibilities of the Junior Associate position.

I was invited back to the 2nd round, which was the Open House. There was an hour-long presentation on the company and how the MIG fit into the company. Pay attention during the presentation to learn more about the company and the position. After the presentation, there were three 30 minute, back to back, interviews with managers/assistant managers of various teams. It's important to ask for water between interviews, especially because it's easy to strain your throat when talking to so many people. Finally, there was a quick wrap up session.

Within a day or two, I received a call saying that I was invited back to the final round, where I had a transparency session and went through a demo of what I would be doing if I got the position. After the transparency session, I went through a 30 min interview with another manager I hadn't met previously, followed by a more informal round-table with 2 current associates, a writing test, and 2 more interviews: 45 min with the director of the teams/my team manager, and 30 min with the assistant manager/who would be my direct supervisor.

Unfortunately, I was told that while they appreciated my experience and positive attitude, they were looking to "go in another direction". I received the call in 1 business day, though I was told the decision would take 1-2 business days.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job and how will you handle that?   Answer Question

Performance Reporting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online, and several weeks later had a screening call. They focused on my resume, and asked me to describe why I had chosen to work at each place, and why I had chosen the College, I attended, and Major. A week later I was asked to come in for a interviews. I was interviewed with 2 other candidates, and began with an information session about the company. Then we were split up, and over 2 hours or so interviewed by 3 different people. Each person asked essentially the same range of questions, as far as I can tell in an attempt to see if your answers would change. Most questions were fairly standard (your skills, weaknesses, experiences). I never heard back from them afterwards, even after sending several follow up emails over 2 months. While I was not particularly unhappy about not moving on, it is polite, and easy, to inform someone they are no longer being considered.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA).

Interview

Three rounds to the whole process. First round was initial phone screening with HR; second round was a thirty minute phone call with two research associates with emphasis on fit a well as broad financial knowledge; third and final round was a "super day" type interview at their Boston office where I interviewed with 6 different people. Needed to prepare a case study for the final round that was pretty technical.

Interview Questions

• Case study for final round. Needed to really know your stuff as far as financial and business analysis and   Answer Question