Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

Fairly straightforward interview process. Starts with a phone interview with a current consulting associate who has a year or two's experience, it's a very relaxed conversation about your background, then some basic questions on investments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

I went through a phone screening, which is very in depth, but mainly asked behavioral questions. They are trying to determined if you will be a good fit. Got called back for an open house, which lasted about 2 and half hours. Main thing to focus on is the presentation about the company. The interview will be heavy on what you've gained from the presentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied through the LinkedIn posting.

Started off with a phone interview which was pretty basic. They asked about my resume and basically just did a walk-through of my credentials. Making sure your resume is legitimate.

I was called back by HR to come to an extensive "open-house" where me and a couple other candidates were given a more extensive overview of the company, what group we were interviewing with, and what the job entailed, historically.

After the presentations, you go through a rotation of three 30-minute interviews. It was interesting, the order is random, each candidate rotated between the same three guys, who were upper management of the group the job was with. Each guy had different personalities, almost like a weird Good Cop/Bad Cop/Neutral Cop routine. One guy was pretty straight forward, asking about my career goals, some basic situations, as well as gauging how committed to the job I would be (see Most Unexpected question). Another guy was pretty tough, seeming to be purposely not as personable, asking in-depth questions about strengths and weaknesses, as well as how I felt my previous interview went on a scale of 1-10 and why it wasn't a 10 (again, see below). The third guy was very personable, lauding my resume and providing a really good back and forth while discussing my qualifications.

I felt this three-way dynamic was probably more pre-orchestrated than anything, as a means of gauging candidates from multiple angles, and was actually pretty creative, if true.

Sadly, despite what I thought was a really positive conversation all the way around, I got a "going in another direction" email a few days later.

Interview Questions

• 1 interviewer: Would I have to worry about you leaving for another job in a couple of years after taking the time to train you? (paraphrased)   1 Answer
    • 2nd Interviewer: On a scale of 1-10, how was your last interview? Why not a 10?   1 Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Changping, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Changping, Beijing (China)) in January 2013.

Interview

Background:
    The position is for their newly opened Beijing office

I send my resume through email. Three weeks later, I recieved a phone call to set me up for a phone interivew and to inform me the approximate length of the interview (30 mins).

1st round : The call came on time. The interviewer begins with "tell me something about youself" and then perceed to the usual resume runthrough, and then ask a few behavior questions like: what are your strength? Later switch to general questions about the company just to see if you have done any research on the company and investment consulting industry in general. "what are Cambridge Associates' competitors?", "why do you want a career in investment consulting?"
    My general impression is that they want to see if you are serious enough about the a career in investment consulting. the entire process took about 17 mins. I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the 2nd round.

2nd round: the 2nd round consists of a written test and a case study ( not the case study you see for management consulting firms) More behavior questions but this time it goes really deep. you have 20 mins for the written test. I was given two topics. One is to write some afterthought on the recent finance related news I read, and the other one is to write the steps you will take to communicate with institutional clients. I took choice number one.
    The case study has lots of materials. One of the consultant walks me through the entire process. It was about how to pick stocks, managers for institutional clients. ( sharpe ratio, diversifcations, athrimatrical means, covarience, effiency porfolio frontier) There were many graphes to get you going, but i kept thinking afterward that it is almost impossible to keep saying the right answers if I did not major in Finance. Afterwards, I met the other two staff ( small operation) mostly they want to see if you are a good fit for the firm and if you want to stay in Investment Consulting for long. (behavior questions go deeper)

Again, I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the next round.

3rd round: By this stage, I guess the job has come down to only a few candidates (3 or 4) and I know that I have to distinguish myself, but I really don't know how. I know everyone on the shortlist must have the same problem. Anyhow, I prepare the best I could. The first half of the interiew was with someone I think would be the direct supervisor of this position. The qustions are like the ones I encountered on the 2nd interiew, but some easy questions related to Finance as well. The other half of the interview was with the director of the consulting group. Again, More behavior questions like round 2.

Overall, the interviewers were very pleasant and respectful. Most questions are aimed to discover whether your goals and interests are in line with the company's.

Interview Questions

• why not going into investment management why investment consulting? why more spread money among more portfolio managers can achieve better diversification.   1 Answer

MBA Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was invited to Cambridge offices for a first round interview, where I was met by a Senior Consultant, who began by asking whether I had any last-minute questions. We promptly moved on to a written case study interview that focused on investments. The case included all necessary text and exhibits needed to complete the questions. The topics covered in this exercise were limited to those one would over in one's first year of business school. I had 20 minutes to work on the case alone, 20 minutes for discussion with the sane Senior Consultant/Interviewee, and the remainder of the hour was a one-on-one discussion focused on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into investment management consulting and not investment management?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Singapore (Singapore)) in July 2012.

Interview

First round - Phone interview

second round - open house and mini interviews

Final round - mini interviews, writing sample

Interview Questions

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone interview, phase one. Standard questions fairly easy.

Second there is a group interview following a presentation, mostly to see if you can handle yourself and stressful questions.

Finally here was another presentation two group discussion panels, two interviews and a writing sample. Mostly the last part was to make sure that you were a good fit for the job and that long term you would be happy in the position. The manager wasn't convinced i would last more than two years and I didn't get the job.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Alexandria, VA) in July 2011.

Interview

Went in and interviewed with several other applicants. There was a brief presentation of the company then three half hour 1:1 interviews. Typical interview questions: why do you want to work here, what are your work ethics, what do you look for in a boss, what are your career goals, tell me about a previous experience that relates to this role, what are your strengths/weaknesses. Some of the interviewers asked situational questions, many pertaining to organizational culture.
    I thought it was a young, collegiate culture; one of the supervisors interviewing was quite arrogant, a pretty big turn off. The office was mainly cubicles with window offices on the side; section I was in was mainly empty. There was supposed to be a second round, but I never heard back for it; I moved on to another firm with a higher salary / better fit for me anyway. Pretty glad because the supervisor seemed rude.

Interview Questions

• do you really think you're qualified for this job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview, open house, and second round interview.

Phone interview: The phone interview will be less than 30 minutes and likely conducted by HR. Expect to go over your resume, talk about your greatest accomplishment and biggest weakness. There won't be much time for your questions.

Open House: The open house consists of a presentation about the department and three 20 minute interviews with the group's managers. Be prepared for some hard questions including: Define professionalism, Name three weaknesses using one work for each weakness, What are three things you learned in the presentation earlier, Sell yourself to me, What do you think you'll be doing at this job, Name one positive trait you don't have, etc.

Second Round: The second round will consist of a one on one interview with the Director of the group as well as the manager of the team they think you'll fit best on. You'll also participate at least one round table discussion with people who could be your team members and colleagues. Remember to ask questions. If you're interested in the position, act like it. You'll also do a writing sample, which isn't super challenging.

Bottom line(s):
    - The Junior Associate position is likely in the firm's data group. The data group is extremely high performing and well regarded within the firm. If you don't want to work in a data group, don't apply. But there is opportunity for advancement after you have been at the company for a while, so it's worth it.
    - The position is not client facing, but you do get to interact with individuals that work for investment managers.
    - Professionalism is key! Dress and act the part. Although most people in the department are young, they are professional at work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There are no negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

First step was a generic phone interview, i.e. favorite class in college, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why CA, etc. Next round is 1:1 with a current Consulting Associate and it has a similar course as the phone interview, but is more to see how you interact with people, and then there was a simple case study about choosing investment managers for a client. Final round is a series of interviews with each interviewer covering a specific portion of you background (College, work experience, interest in investments, what type of person/worker you are, case study (mine was about hedge funds)) given by current Consulting Associates, HR manager, and Consulting manager.