Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Dec 1, 2017

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the recruiter who scheduled a 30 minute phone screening. I was asked basic background questions, resume, experience, why this company and position. After a phone interview that I thought went very well, I was invited to come to DC in a few days to attend an open house (I live 3 hours away via airplane). Knowing that this would be the only chance I have to land this position, I bought a plane ticket and flew down.

The "open house" was attended by five other applicants and consisted of an hour long presentation regarding the company and position. The presentation was followed by 3 rounds of 30 minute 1-1 interviews with different managers. This part was very unorganized, and most of the managers didn't seem to have much interviewing experience. There were many times when I felt that the manager was more nervous then I was. After the 1-1 interviews I was walked to the door and sent on my way.

Despite the lack of organization, the "open house" was very informative and gave me a great sense of where I'd be working, who I'd be working with and what exactly I'd be doing. Upon leaving, I felt that these were some of the best interviews I have had and that there was a fairly good chance I would make it to the next round, or at least get a rejection with some positive feedback.

Before I had even made it home, I recieved an automated rejection email from the recruiter. Being slightly surprised, I sent a follow-up email asking politely for some feedback from the interviews. It's been about 4 months and I still haven't heard back.

To summerize: Initial phone interview followed by a very informative and helpful "open house". Unprofessional way of rejecting candidates IMO but hey, at least they said something.

Interview Questions

• Name three character traits you need to badly improve upon   1 Answer
    • If you were me, what question would you ask you   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by an employment agency who wanted me to interview for the position, and accepted. Next, the company contacted me within a few days for a phone interview, lasting only about ten minutes. They asked very basic questions and were short on answers to my questions. The following week, I went into the Arlington, VA branch for another interview/presentation, where another candidate was also interviewing. After, we were taken for two 1:1 interviews, where we were asked a range of questions--negative interview tactics were used, attempting to find and exploit inconsistencies in our answers.

Investment Performance Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in April 2010.

Interview

I initially applied online and got a phone call two days later. The HR rep set up an informational phone interview. The questions were very basic and included a review of my resume. Then I was invited to interview on-site. They did not pay for travel or rooming expenses. The on-site interview consisted of two group presentations and three one-on-one interviews with questions ranging from basic resume information to simple finance/capital markets questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do bond prices and bond yields move inversely?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2012.

Interview

Phone interview went very well. Met 3 different people for in person interviews. 2 of the 3 interviewers were absolutely terrible and extremely arrogant. Asked boring standard questions i.e. What is your biggest weakness?

Interview Questions

The company environment seemed arrogant and saw little to no room for growth.

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Really disappointed with this experience. I was looking to transition to a financial or investment analyst position. I heard about Cambridge and felt that it would be a really great fit. I had some related experience. I got an e-mail from a recruiter asking for dates and times for a phone screen and i responded back. A week past and I never heard back from her. I followed up with another e-mail and we finally set up a screen. I had a phone screen and then went in for an open house. Open house was a presentation. I had 3 interviews with a total of 4 individuals. They all asked the same basic behavioral questions. I asked for business cards (so I could send appropriate thank-you's) and only 1 person had one. There was also a case study basically asking you to summarize about a 20 page report (mostly graphs and charts) into a memo to the client. We were told we would probably hear back by the end of the week. I never received a courtesy e-mail or phone call stating that I was not selected for the next round of interviews.

Application

Interview

1st Stage: You will be contacted by HR for a general phone screening. They tend to pick up pretty fast on resumes so you will probably get a call within a few days after submission.

2nd Stage: In-house interview. They refer to this as their "Open House." This consists of a 40 minute presentation on the company, followed by two interviews with two or three managers within the manager information group. This stage is nothing special; they are simply trying to see if you are competent enough to work at Cambridge.

3rd Stage: In-house interview. You will meet with the director of the MIG. This meeting will make or break your entire interview process. The interview will be pointed and probing, especially of your past work history. They are trying to cultivate a more permanent and proficient workforce that will remain with the company for years. They have already decided that you are competent enough for the job; your sole objective at this stage will be to convince the director that you will stay in the position for an extended amount of time, will be happy in the position, and are willing to advance through the ranks. Make sure you highlight your commitment to remaining within the MIG. Be able to explain any past separation from your previous work and your reasons for seeking a new position.

This is followed by another presentation on the company, the MIG, and the position more specifically. Afterwards, you will meet with two groups of two junior associates who presently have the position for which you are applying. This is a very casual step for you to get a feel for the position. Lastly, you will do a 30-minute writing exercise on MS Word. This consists of drafting an email to an investment manager using a set of instructions. It's nothing difficult.

At the end you will have a short wrap-up session. Here you will be made to address any concerns they may have as a final effort to convince them that you are fit for the position.

You will be contacted within a day or two with their decision. They have a pretty fast and professional turnaround on this.

Interview Questions

• What part of the job do you think you would have the most difficulty doing?   Answer Question
    • Give me a two minute ad campaign on yourself.   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview was set up through my university. Usually you have a behavioral interview, and then if you get accepted you go through a superday round of interviews. Questions consisted of whats your biggest weakness and etc.

Interview Questions

• Whats one thing about you that is not on your resume that you think I should know about you   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

standard fit questions, mainly for the first round. also a mini case at the about asset management.

Interview Questions

• nothing out of the ordinary. why investment consulting, why CA, how does your background make you a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through my school's job board. They had two individuals come to campus to conduct interviews. The night before, they hosted a kind of meet-and-greet so we were able to meet the other students that got an interview and received a brief overview of the company.

The first interview was pretty straightforward. Went through my resume then presented with some charts that Associates have to deal with on a regular basis. I had to draw intuitions from the information given. I didn't have extensive experience in investments so I think it was more a matter of how I think on my feet and presentation.

The final round was on-site with 5 back-to-back interviews. A couple interviewers dealt with aspects from my resume (academics, extracurriculars), one conducted a similar activity from the first interview, one gave me an article to analyze, and one had me prepare a 3 minute presentation from a booklet of charts and graphs.

It was a pretty smooth process and I would give a thumbs up EXCEPT they never got back to me concerning my application. I had to approach the recruiter after a few weeks to get any sort of communication from them. I expected better considering they were on-campus recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Prepare a 3-minute presentation on your recommended portfolio. You had access to the performances of a couple different portfolios, as well as trends in stocks/bonds/etc.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Singapore (Singapore)) in July 2013.

Interview

Standard Phone Interview

Interview Questions

• Standard run me through your resume qns, strengths, motivations, what do you know about the firm etc.   Answer Question