Cambridge Associates, LLC Investment Performance Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Investment Performance Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2016

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the recruiter who scheduled a 30 minute phone screening. I was asked basic background questions, resume, experience, why this company and position. After a phone interview that I thought went very well, I was invited to come to DC in a few days to attend an open house (I live 3 hours away via airplane). Knowing that this would be the only chance I have to land this position, I bought a plane ticket and flew down.

The "open house" was attended by five other applicants and consisted of an hour long presentation regarding the company and position. The presentation was followed by 3 rounds of 30 minute 1-1 interviews with different managers. This part was very unorganized, and most of the managers didn't seem to have much interviewing experience. There were many times when I felt that the manager was more nervous then I was. After the 1-1 interviews I was walked to the door and sent on my way.

Despite the lack of organization, the "open house" was very informative and gave me a great sense of where I'd be working, who I'd be working with and what exactly I'd be doing. Upon leaving, I felt that these were some of the best interviews I have had and that there was a fairly good chance I would make it to the next round, or at least get a rejection with some positive feedback.

Before I had even made it home, I recieved an automated rejection email from the recruiter. Being slightly surprised, I sent a follow-up email asking politely for some feedback from the interviews. It's been about 4 months and I still haven't heard back.

To summerize: Initial phone interview followed by a very informative and helpful "open house". Unprofessional way of rejecting candidates IMO but hey, at least they said something.

Interview Questions

• Name three character traits you need to badly improve upon   1 Answer
  • If you were me, what question would you ask you   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process began with a phone screening by HR, a week later I got called down for an interview.
    1st session - we were huddled together with a couple of other candidates. Once we all arrived, there were 2 (presumably junior, non team lead) PRG analysts who did a quick round of introductions and started off the session with a mini case study whereby we had to come together to brainstorm a scenario whereby senior managers from overseas were coming to town and what activities can we come up with to host them while they were in town. This exercise seems to examine how are the candidates work and communicate in teams. After this 25 minute session we had to do a little presentation explaining our considerations and rationale for our final recommendations.

Once the analysts have taken their notes, the next session was a 25 min presentation by a team lead on the overview of PRG and what was needed to do well on the job, nothing too in depth but a good eye opener nonetheless. It is advisable to keep some mental notes during the presentation as the interviews will make little references to it.

After that we were split up and were interviewed individually. The first 30 min interview was with two team leads which started off with a "walk me through your resume” and then followed by fit questions. There weren’t many technical questions and the interview revolved mainly what was on the resume. Usual questions like “Why C|A?”, “What is your ultimate career goal?”, “Why should we hire you?”, “Your resume states that you were doing ______ previously, why PRG now?”, "How does C|A fit into your long term plan?”. My advice is be consistent. They are there to “poke holes” at your answers and will try look at them from different angles. This shouldn’t be a problem if you’re authentic or if you have prepared your story in a way that appears consistent. They’re basically there to ensure that you are the right fit for the company and not here for just a few months and having spoke with the different interviewers, they can vouch that C|A is company that invests in their people’s development. The interviewers were not too experienced I’ll say but certainly sharp and pleasant people (I’ll say that their combined working experience was about 7 years).

Next 30 min interview was with another 2 team leads. Pleasant people again and focused mainly on fit questions. And since it was mostly fit questions, it was very conversational and it seemed that they would like to know what you are like as a colleague. The format seemed to be intended to be such and it was an enjoyable session overall (as long as you don’t say anything stupid). Do be prepared to expound on your answers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      You were doing this previously, why performance reporting now?
      What are your 3 strengths?
      What are your 3 weaknesses?
      What are your hobbies? Reading? What type of books do you like to read? Anything interesting you want to share?
      What makes a good leader?
      How long do you see yourself at C|A?
      Why should C|A hire you?
      What is your idea of PRG?
      How can you contribute to C|A?
      This is an operations role, are you sure that’s what you want?
      Any questions for me?
      Answer Question

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview

1st Round - Phone Interview

2nd Round - Interview with 2 managers that last half an hour each. A 45 min company brief and a simple test which lasted half an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing you want me to remember for after you walk through the door.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was extremely brief. The guy seemed completely uninterested and not very personable. In person interviews wen a lot better the people seemed nicer and interested by what I had to say. There were two 30 min interviews back to back. The second interview that day has two individuals in it which was a little intimidating but I thought I handled it well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

There was a phone interview, followed by two rounds of in-office interviews. Lastly, a final phone interview with the director of the Investment Performance group. The process was slightly disorganized, but overall moved relatively quickly once it got started.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I went through phone screening, then 2 rounds of interview. It was pretty straightforward. No brain-teasing questions. However, they did try to test my behavioral reaction in certain occasions.

Interview Questions

• It was so long ago. There really were no unexpected question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

Pretty standard. Case study for last part of final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn and was called the next day for a phone screening. After that I was signed up for an interview at their Arlington location. Had a series of three interviews lasting about a half hour each. They seemed more concerned about asking questions to contradict yourself than asking about skills. If I contradicted myself in the least bit, theyd tell me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Applied online and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Was brought in for the first round of interview (along with another candidate). The first interview was started with an information session about the company, followed by 3 thirty minute back to back interviews with three different people (Each of the 3 have a different mood from happy and easy going to quite serious). I was invited back for the second and final round of interviewing. This consisted of meeting with the head of the performance reporting group, and several other managers. There was also a scenario based test involved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online for the position in mid-November and received a phone call to set up an initial phone screen in early December. After a 30 minute phone interview which included a review of my resume and "why Cambridge?" type questions, I was told I'd hear something the next day. Sure enough I was invited the following day for a face to face interview. Two weeks later I finally sat down for interviews with 3 different managers and a company presentation. All 3 managers seemed to take a different approach to the interview. One was gentle and inviting, one was stone faced and let no emotion show, and the third was also gentle and forthcoming. They asked trick "gotcha" type questions in the interviews to make sure you were paying attention to the presentation. These included: Where are our locations outside of the US? What year were we founded? Is this a front or back office position? What does PRG stand for? Do we manage assets or advise on those assets? Honestly, if you do a bit of research before the interview on there website, you'll be fine. I felt like the interviews went well and was told I'd hear back within a week. Well after 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I'd all but given up on them. I had hoped the holiday season had perhaps got in the way of everything, but I wasn't expecting any future communication. Sure enough I received an email (about 2 weeks after face-to-face interview #1) inviting me back for another round. The next week I came in for a much more involved interview. This round lasted nearly 3 hours and included 4 interviews with 6 different people. First a review of the systems they use and a clear notion to ask in-depth questions about the processes. Then an interview with 2 different managers (one of whom left Goldman Sachs to come to this company, I wonder if she wasn't cutting it at Goldman). My next interview was with 2 new-hires within the last year and it's a chance for you to ask questions about the position and what their experiences were like. My final interview that day was with a manager who I'd interviewed with the first go-around. This included a simple case study about the transitioning of a client from one analyst to another. The final interview included more in-depth questions about my resume.

Bottom line: I thought I was advancing smoothly in the process and giving them answers that were to their liking. The company said I'd hear back within a day or two about a decision. After 3 days of anticipation and hearing nothing, I emailed the last HR person I was dealing with. She replied the next day with a standard "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. So that's it, after 3 separate interactions with the company over a 5 week period that included interviews with 10 people, I ended up getting denied. It's the nature of the financial beast and a strong and competitive DC job market. I was more than upset but quickly rebounded because of the amount of interview offers I'm receiving at other firms.

Interview Questions

• Are you under or overqualified for this position? You have to pick one.   1 Answer